2 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 20/06/21
PricelineUS$195
eDreamsUS$195
Orbitz.comUS$158
All reviews tree house dog friendly hotel bridal suite chateaubriand four poster bed superior room local walks travelzoo offer stayed for two nights night break lovely location fish and chips relaxing break lovely room breakfast room north devon feel very welcome
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 January 2021

We stayed for one night in December. The so called booking.com Genius 2 reward “Superior Room” 8, costing £99, was stone cold on entry. Main radiator not working and only an oil filled wall mounted to heat large room. Dated decor (1970’s) throughout this drab hotel. Food quality at dinner was poor and way overpriced. I went to my car before breakfast and reported that the stone steps from reception had thick ice on them. It was still there when we left after breakfast. Two days after leaving they charged £70 to my Visa card because they said they had misplaced the room key, which was left in a safe place on the unmanned reception desk. They later refunded £35 saying they had made a double charge by mistake. The receptionist said they normally charge £50 for a lost key but they were knocking off £15 due to the many issues we had with our stay. Needless to say, we will avoiding this establishment in future.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank O2822JLmarkr
tara culverhouse, Owner at Fox and Hounds Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

We are sorry this had to happen but the key is still missing and you have been refunded both by us directly to your wife for the charges and via your bank with the claim.

Reviewed 30 December 2020

My wife and I booked to spend 3 nights in the TreeTops Tree House over Christmas. We arrived on Christmas Eve and from the very first moment, Tom our host looked after us to make sure our stay was perfect and no request was too much. Ably assisted by his colleague Ben and the rest of the staff we wanted for nothing.
The Treehouse is amazing and with a roaring fire in the Woodburner provided a cosy retreat with all mod cons on tap. The welcome package and Christmas Gifts from the hotel were a lovely unexpected surprise.
We had our main meals each day in the hotel with all breakfasts and snacks etc. in the Treehouse.
The food in the hotel was second to none. The meal on Christmas Day was magnificent and the Beef Wellington on Boxing Day the best I have ever eaten.
The weather wasn't briliant whilst we were there so walks were limited to short trips along the river bank.
The main hotel is very much a pet friendly place to stay and we were very much in the minority not having a dog with us.
I can't recommend The Fox & Hounds highly enough and for that added touch of adventure try the Tree House but book well in advance.

Room tip: For a magical experience try the Tree House
1  Thank Yorkiebiker
Reviewed 20 December 2020 via mobile

Enjoyed a two night break here this month. Described as rustic which was a good description. Nice bar area and breakfast conservatory. However hotel a little tired in some areas eg our bathroom and corridors.
Experienced a few hiccups on arrival but these were remedied immediately to our satisfaction.
Breakfasts nice and good selection . Evening meal both nights my husband picked well fish and chips then pie option on second night. Unfortunately my two evening meals could have been better lamb shoulder was a rather small dry chop and the prawn noodles was minuscule. Was able to fill up with starter and pud. Recommend the scotch egg .
Shout out to Tom on reception who recommended a great walk which we really enjoyed .

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank CJM18
Reviewed 12 December 2020

We have just spent a 2-night break at this lovely hotel. The hotel was warm and welcoming with safety precautions in place. All the staff were helpful and attentive with a special mention for Tom who was very efficient and helpful. We had a beautifully presented suite, spotlessly clean. The food was delicious with a good choice of menu for all meals. We will certainly return.

Room tip: Heywood suite is a beautiful room with private access to a decked area and the garden.
Date of stay: December 2020
tara culverhouse, Owner at Fox and Hounds Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words. Im so glad you enjoyed your stay in our newest suite, your thanks will be passed onto the staff and we hope to invite you back to stay again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 October 2020

I was looking for pet friendly property ,Then I wanted to book this hotel for 2 nights with B&B for me ,my wife and my daughter who is 18.If I had booked through booking.com price was £ 257. When I contacted receptionist I was told that he could book for £ 259 for us on the same dates. Then I booked over the phone. During our stay we decided to take dinner for 2 days ,that cost me £120. But my final bill was £486.
I had another bad experience .One day there was no hot water in the morning. It delayed our plans and we had to leave hotel using only cold water.

Date of stay: October 2020
Suzanne G, General Manager at Fox and Hounds Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2020

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate you staying with us.

There were additional charges incurred and also costs for the pet and children. I also understand that on speaking to the manager on duty, an allowance was made for the situation regarding the water that occurred on one of the mornings. The manager apologized and many of our guests were very understanding as the situation with the water was rectified immediately.

Your comments will be discussed further with the team so that we can ensure that training and consistencies on service at all times.

Kind regards