“Awful customer service but amazing food”
Review of Cafe Tamarinds

Cafe Tamarinds
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2021 via mobile

Unfriendly welcome when my daughter and I with her 4 month old in a pushchair first walked in but was too embarrassed to leave. One waiter pointed to our seating area and when my daughter went to sit on another chair he pointed and grunted no there! Took our order and basically just slammed our food on the table. Maybe he has had an argument with someone and was just cross about something which certainly showed! When I went to pay he just walked off as soon as the card was out of the machine. One kind gesture was they did open the door for us to leave. This is the second time I’ve been here and they were just as unfriendly then. Their food is amazing I cannot fault any of it, it’s just such a shame that the service is very poor.

Date of visit: September 2021
1  Thank R4277DHjoanner
Write a reviewReviews (286)

Reviewed 12 September 2021

Can’t fault the food but very unfriendly service and unprofessional especially one of the waiters there always talking behind customers backs and laughing will not be going there again in a rush !

Date of visit: September 2021
2  Thank kevinwB3307PH
Reviewed 2 August 2021

We couldn't face the thought of eating at the hotel we were staying so we headed out to eat having found the restaurant through Google Maps.

We hadn't booked but the staff found a table for us and were friendly. The service was good and the food was amazing. We both ordered the Thali and I wouldn't hesitate to have it again if I am in the area. The lamb and chicken were cooked to perfection. The king prawns were huge. Definitely fresh and not zapped in the microwave.

Prices were good and there was a good menu selection to chose from - both drinks and food. In common with many other Indian restaurants, the only let down was the dessert menu. A couple of genuine Indian desserts would be nice and would have resulted in 5 stars.

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank MarieCavogreco
Reviewed 23 July 2021

I visit as part of a group of 5 after Cafe Tamarinds was recommended to me. The restaurant was very quiet when we arrived with only four other diners and I was worried that maybe this was a sign that it might not be as good as the recommendation.
The concerns were banished when the food arrived. Poppadoms were standard but my Keema Bora starter was superb. I like to try different things and the starter and my main were dishes I'd never seen before. The bora was like a spicy Indian version of a Kiev. Very tasty. The Lamb Kabuli that followed also did not disappoint. Tender lamb, unlike the tough stuff in some establishments, well judged spicing, most enjoyable. The accompanying breads and rice were also of a high standard.
All five of us left feeling satisfied and well fed.

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank IanNM62
Reviewed 23 July 2021

Used to love tamarinds, got it around twice a month and took family and friends in there for meals. Also did a few valentines in there. However something changed. The problem was with our usual prawn pathia purée starters. Didn’t feel like cooking so got a takeout. My husband started eating his first and said “my prawn is mushy.” So upon further inspection of my prawn dish.... the prawns were see through and practically raw!!! Then decided to wash all of the prawns and noticed that 90% were raw. Now I order this a lot and the last few times I got a really bad tummy from it but thought it couldn’t be the food as I loved it there. However we tested this after and got £10 of just poppadoms. Got bad stomachs again!!!!! Then checked the hygiene rating on the council website which was done recently 3/5... well clearly the reason we’re getting ill. It’s a shame as we loved it here and it’s local to us. Won’t go again. Please be careful when you go as raw prawns can make you really poorly as we witnessed, make sure you check your food.

Date of visit: June 2021