“best risotto ever”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2016

pro's:
- best risotto ("3 tomatoes") I've ever had. please give me the recipe! ;-)
- nicely balanced and interesting take on the venison
- in general: very flavor-intense and delicious food. some minor mistakes here and there but there's room for 1 point more
- one of the best deserts I've ever had ("soup of herbs")

con's:
- I would've liked my scallop to be a bit hotter even though it seemed it should only be luke-warm to match the salad
- liquid spinach was a nice idea but I couldn't smell/taste it that much
- I've seen better wine pairings. wine was good but pairing to the dishes did not always elevate the dish

Reviewed 14 June 2016

The atmosphere is very realaxing and calm. The tables are spaced widely. It's worth the cumbersome road trip to the village.
Food is prepared excellently would be worth one MIchelin star.
Local tarditional recipes (e.g. marinated calf's head) are prepared very lightly and a lot of different tastes.
Wine list is very varied and provides a good introduction to this less known wine area.
Take your coffee on the outdoor terrace, which doubles as a smoking area.

Reviewed 2 January 2016 via mobile

Marvelous sommelier and wine pairing! I tried both creative and South Tirol tasting menus here. The creative menu was well done, but no excitement as it is somewhat the same as I could get in San Francisco in similar range of restaurants. However, the South Tirol tasting menu was very good. This is the 3rd Michelin restaurant I have visited on this trip and my most favorite by far.

1  Thank Mora_Snowflake
Reviewed 25 October 2015

There are a number of places that can be either exciting or utterly exasperating in high season, and the region around Tesimo on the day of TÖRGGELEFEST may top the list. On this day, an incredible mass of traffic- and parking-jammed cars complicated by an enormous crowd of randomly-moving, street-occupying pedestrians made it virtually impossible to reach this restaurant. But reach it we did, and thanks to some concentrated assistance from the restaurant, we were able to safely ditch the car and enter this calm and welcoming place for Sunday lunch. There are three tasting menus: one featuring Sudtirol specialties, another highlighting creative treatment of local/pan-Italian flavors, and the last offering a vegetarian meal. You can select one of the menus in whole, or arrange your own meal from among any of the dishes. We did the latter and had a generous Sunday lunch. Each dish we tried was executed with a steady hand and delivered deep and meticulous flavors. I was particularly knocked out by one of the vegetarian main courses, a melange of fritto di verdure so crisp and pure that I would return every day for just that dish. The wine list features a well-edited selection of fine regional wines, both red and white, plus a good mix of other Italian wines and those from other countries. Our Blaubergunder was excellent, and a real value compared to SoCal wine lists. We left Zum Lowen hoping to return, but not before cross-checking the date of the torgelefest,

Reviewed 17 October 2015

I had a good memory of the cuisine from a few years back, so I was well-disposed.
Reception was unprofessional (we were left standing to wait for a while with zero acknowledgement), but we ignored this. No smile, no apology, but we decided to ignore this too - we're here for the food, not to make friends after all.
Amuse bouche of chestnut veloute' was simple but good.
A starter of sweetbreads with girolle mushrooms on a bed of fried potatoes was good, the potatoes cut very thin and well fried, the meat tender but lacking proper caramelisation and hence weak in flavour. Maybe the chef unconsciously realised this as she salted this dish too much.
A first course of tortelloni filled with chestnuts and lobster sounded immensely promising. Instead it was simply a fair dish of chestnut tortelloni, the lobster added to it in chunks and looking a bit like an intruder. This was from the 'creative menu' and the creation is not great to be frank.
The best dish of the meal was a duck with excellent flavour, nicely accompanied by its own juices, and garnished with perfectly cooked and intensely flavoured parsnip and other vegetables. Skin not crisp but nevertheless the fat was rendered well and so was pleasant to eat.
A venison with red cabbage was also good, with excellent produce (local), the meat moist and tender without being too tender.
A chocolate sphere was another unfulfilled promise, neither the quince nor the mascarpone inside delivering on flavour (good chocolate though).
Better were cannoli fllled with chestnuts with a smooth laurel ice-cream.
Petit four were so-so and so was coffee.
Service was robotic and unprofessional throughout, with the usual high-end restaurant nonsense: bottle away from the table, your glass empty, no-one in sight with the 'authority' to fetch the bottle. Bread put on the table with no description, same for the petit four. The room is simply beautiful. Prices are too high for what is delivered. I have the impression this place is getting tired of itself. In the same area of South Tyrol, in a similar price bracket, it compares unfavourably with say Sissi or Zur Rose.