Rivermount Hotel and Resort
US$66
US$70
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe riverinfinity poolpublic areasilocano foodcable tveggsilocos nortetranquil settingremote locationpeace and quietduring our staygarlic ricewifiviewbarguestslobby
Reviewed 5 August 2016

We stayed here for 4 nights during a visit to Laoag and Sarrat. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable, the food good, the staff courteous and mostly efficient; it's a new hotel so they are still learning to be proactive. The swimming pool is nice and refreshing and well maintained. And the location, right on the river is lovely. Most of the time the river is slow and not very full. We were there during a typhoon which made it a real river. Would definitely stay again.

A recommendation to the hotel: provide towels at the pool instead of having guests bring their towels from the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2016

PROS:
- Rooms are spacious and clean; there were 5 of us in each room and they were able to provide 3 extra single-sized mattresses per room. Rooms are cleaned and serviced by request.
- Beds are VERY comfortable to sleep with. We had a snorefest when we stayed there!
- Very nice infinity pool overlooking Padsan River.
- Hotel has a modern feel to it. Lobby is also very spacious.
- Very accommodating and honest staff. I left my mobile phone upon checkout and returned it to me before we left. They were very attentive to our needs as well.
- Plated breakfast is okay, consists of a Filipino viand (Ilocos longganisa, tocino, fried milkfish, etc), 2 eggs, some few fruit slices and garlic rice, or bread and eggs and fruit. Lunch and dinner is also okay with decent choices but a bit expensive (but this is a given in any hotels anyway)

CONS:
- Hotel is quite far from any city or town. Better stock up on everything you want or need before spending your night here, especially if you're not going there by your own car. Nearby sari-sari store and bar at the lobby closes by 8 or 9 as well.
- Wi-fi coverage is only at the lobby and the restaurant.
- Toilet and bath needs a bit of maintenance -- Water is already seeping out from the sliding glass door between the toilet and bath area when taking a bath. Trash bin is only available inside the bathroom as well (or we just didn't request for a trash can lol)

Will I recommend this hotel to others? For those conducting their team building activities and seminars, as well as those who just want some peace and quiet, definitely yes. But for those who are looking for a hotel easily accessible to some places like stores, or tourist places, etc... Maybe not.

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the river for more peace and quiet... And a nice romantic view.
  • Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2016

Hotel was far from Laoag City, good thing a trike driver led the way.

Hotel has modern feel. Rooms were huge, beds were very comfortable. Toilet, standard with amenities. Infinity pool overlooking the river. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

No Wifi inside room, have to go to reception area.
Plated breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2016

Got off to a bad start when the transport the hotel agreed to provide to collect us at Laoag Airport failed to turn up. My secretary called the hotel (albeit 30 minutes after we had arrived) and was told it was on its way, so please wait. We waited another 40 minutes and still no hotel transport – the moral of the tale – don’t entrust this hotel to arrange your transport from the airport. Found our own transportation after we had been waiting an hour or so and proceeded to the hotel. This looked a very nice hotel located some 11 kms from Sarrat itself. I believe the hotel was opened last year. It is situated on the banks of the Padsan River. The hotel is picturesque with nice outdoor seating overlooking the river. The rooms are clean and specious, but maybe a bit sparse with insufficient furniture. There was a very nice balcony on my room, but only one chair inside the room, and none on the balcony. No table on the balcony either. The rooms were of a decent size, and were well serviced daily. Rooms were clean. I thought the room had a mini-bar, but alas it had nothing inside, which I guess makes it a fridge. The river is peaceful and relaxing – it was interesting to watch the wildlife, and people working and children playing in the river. In the dry season, crops are grown on dry patches in the river which obviously flood over when the rain comes. This led me to respect the Filipino ingenuity at utilising these areas. There is of course fishing going on also.

Food was average in the restaurant, which was incidentally the best place to receive wifi. There is no wifi in the rooms. Breakfast did offer a good selection – Filipino or Western, but there was no buffet as reported in an earlier TA report.

The bar is a nice place to sit, or the hotels nipper huts down at the riverside. The call mechanism doesn’t work however, and you have to go up the steps each time to the bar for service. One evening we returned to the hotel at 10.05 pm, and went to the bar looking for a drink as it had been a hot day. Despite the bar staff still being at the bar they insisted that they stop serving at 10pm. So, that lead me to believe that the hotel maybe is not so service orientated or friendly. The bar staff lack the positive attitude of ‘can do’ that seems to be a regular feature of Filipino hospitality.

There is no safe deposit box in the rooms which is a must in the Philippines.

The hotel has an excellent infinity pool overlooking the river, complete with its own waterfall. That is very nice to relax and watch the river from.

The location being so far away has been criticised by some in TA, but I found that a positive aspect, enhancing the tranquillity of the location. We hired a car with a driver (the same one we found at the airport) for PHP 3000 per day – the car was ‘adequate’ and the driver had good knowledge of the area, and took us to the points of interest. The area of Sarrat and Laoag is truly spectacular, and I’m sure the drivers local expertise (and our reading points of interest on TA) added to our maximising our time there.

All in all it was an excellent stay and I enjoyed my time at the hotel. That said it looks as though it may have been put together and the money has run out – short of furniture and no wifi in rooms etc. Staff attitude may need to improve – more focus on ‘can do’, but I would stay here again – bring some beer to, so I can stock my own mini bar. Nice décor in public areas. Lift in working order. Good parking in the front of the hotel. There are no shops for miles so if you want snacks etc, bring with you when you go out for the day. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for Riverview Room
  • Stayed: April 2016, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nigel G
Reviewed 30 January 2016

It was a very fortunate Sunday morning to see the full moon setting over the horizon with its reflection on the river. It looked like the setting sun . The full moon at dawn is as majestic. It's very rare and the timing is perfect. It probably will not happen again in my lifetime unles perhaps if I go back at Rivermount on one full moon and wake up an hour before dawn breaks. Indeed I got more than my value for money .

Stayed: January 2016