“Downhill”
Review of The Fox Den

The Fox Den
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Fox Den in Stoke Gifford is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Enjoy the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As a family we used to love this place, but my last 2 visits I have recieved poor service, and lack of availability of foods on menu. First visit... sat in bar area for food at lunch time... friend ordered starter and main, I ordered main and mini pudding/coffee (due to unavailability of all the starters I chose). Starter came out, which she said tasted great, but couple of minutes into eating our mains come out, the waitress did not seem phased/apologetic that my friend was still eating and left them on table. Again could not complain about the taste but my coffee then came out a couple of mins into eating our main. Such a shame because clearly chefs great, but front of house seemed to lack service experience and have not been trained.

Second trip with my family... again unavailability of a lot of food on menu, but only told when starting to take orders as opposed to when giving us our menus. Cannot grumble about the taste of food we had though. Service just very odd, not very friendly, took along time to input our orders on their hand held device, making us feel awkward as we were just sat there. Also staff didn't seem knowledgeable about industry... for instance our waitress did not know that white zinfandel was a rose wine so stated they did not serve it but was on drinks menu... turns out she was looking on white wine list. Hardly any puddings left so we ended up taking a trip to McDonalds for a mcflurry!!

Such a shame as food tastes great, but clearly an issue with service.... need more training or need to employ people with some experience... and lack of choices on both occasions led to disappointment!

General Manager A, Manager at The Fox Den, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello carlyrogers95,

Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry that we let you down and I'd like to offer you my apologies.

You have given me some very valuable feedback and I will use this to re-train the team in the areas that you mention.

I'm glad though you enjoyed the food, thank you.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We took our cousin as a last minute decision on Easter Saturday. Food, service and atmosphere was all of highest standards.

Hello kenhart,

Thank you for your review. We're glad to know you enjoyed your visit.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The Fox Den is very near our place of work and it was chosen as venue for a lunchtime meal to celebrate the closure of a large piece of work.

When we arrived there were clearly not very many staff on and there was a large queue at the bar of people ordering drinks and food. This looked ominous, especially as there were 20 in our group. We had been told that pre-ordering food wasn’t necessary, so all of us had to choose food and drinks there and then. This process alone took 15 minutes.

All of us began to think that we’d be waiting a very long time before eating. This worry was exacerbated when someone began reading the negative comments from TripAdvisor. Lots of previous customers had complained of long waits and poor food.

This comment could have been entirely negative, but in the event, every meal ordered came in a reasonable time and all orders were correct to a man!! I had Hunter’s Chicken which was very tasty indeed. We will definitely be back here for our next celebration

General Manager A, Manager at The Fox Den, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Ed,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

Nothing really very positive with my visit, sad to say...as I used this place on many occasions in the past. Definitely something not right.
Hardly a draft beer, lager or cider on tap as there was a cellar issue which wasn’t fixed for the whole of the evening. The food on offer via the menu was minimal due to supply issues according to staff. When it finally arrived after a lengthy wait, plates were stone cold and the food likewise.
The whole evening was a total washout, same as the weather outside. I’ll give it a miss for a while until things hopefully improve.

General Manager A, Manager at The Fox Den, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2018

Thank you for your review and I'm very sorry to learn that you were disappointed.

I would be very interested to hear more about your visit. I’ve spoken with the management team here and we are having difficulty pinpointing the date of your visit as we haven’t had any cellar issues in the last week and nor was there a time when we were short of draught beer, lager or cider so I wonder if your visit was some time ago?

If you would like to discuss further please feel free to give me a call on 01179791861 and I’ll gladly do my best to make time for a conversation.

Thank you.

Stuart Terry

Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

We went here for valentines. An hour and a half wait for food and when it did arrive there was no vegetables and little chips that was meant to come with the meal. It was also cold and the steak was tough. With my meal It was also cold and we had to ask them twice how long our meal was going to arrive. The waiters also use a phone app to ordering but it just looks like they are on their phones. A couple opposite us waited just as long and walked out when they received bad customer service. We won't be coming again

General Manager A, Manager at The Fox Den, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2018

Hello Laura,

Thank you for your review. I’m very disspointed that we let you down on this occasion and the team and I are truly sorry.

I have tried to investigate the issues that you have pointed out but being that Valentines was a month ago now, and we ran our Valentines offer for the whole week, it has proven a bit difficult to pinpoint your visit. I should point out though, that we take all reviews and feedback very seriously and we’ll do our very best to make sure there’s no repeat of the problems you experienced.

With reference to the phone app that you mention, for taking orders at the table we use i-pods with a specific app on them. They do belong to the pub and they have no other apps installed. I promise that the team don’t (because they can’t) use them for messaging, phoning, browsing or anything other than their intended purpose.

Again, I’m very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and we hope to see you again soon.

Stuart