Villa Borobudur Resort
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Borobudurhills(Borobudur)
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate pooljavanese experienceeach mealnon alcoholic drinksvolcanic mountainsdragon headsurprise upgradewhite water raftingoverlooking the valleystaff went out of their waycall to prayerjavanese styleeach eveningthree nightsyogyakarta airportrice fieldslaundry service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Two years ago, for my birthday... my beautiful thoughtful boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Yogyakarta and a weekend stay at the Villa Borobudur. We stayed in the private Menorah villa with pool and empty adjacent villa all to ourselves. I don't think either of us ever got round to writing a review then... But as my bday approaches 2 years on... I'm reminded of the most romantic/memorable weekend anyone has ever gifted/planned for me. ♡ This delightful experience was in no small part made possible by the incredible hospitality by the staff at the Villa, who not only provided a yummy chocolate bday cake after our private dinner on our deck... but thousands of pink and white petals & candles laid out in a giant heart shape with a personalised birthday greeting on the ground for me.  It was simply stunning and ill never forget it!! (Of course I took a million photos of it). The room had gorgeous javanese decor, a stunning mountainous view, comfy bed complete with mosquito net, lovely private pool, delicious food and all accomodating friendly service. The air was crisp and clear and I loved hearing the call to prayer echo throughout the mountains each evening. They'll also take you white water rafting too if you are into adventure sports... which was super fun! For a really memorable escape and celebration with your special someone - Villa Borobudur really delivers. Sorry this is such a late review... hopefully better late than never! Thank you

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Yanazil L, Manajer Umum at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2018

Dear Yvette,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are very glad to hear that you still remembered your stay with us. Even the surprise birthday for you. We are really happy that our staff could make your stay memorable. We also happy that our concept "Authentic Java" that means the architecture, the food, the staff and the experience is well received. It was a pleasure to have you as our valuable guest. Hope that we can welcoming you again next time.

Yanazil and team

Reviewed February 15, 2018 via mobile

The best things about Villa Borobudur are the exceptional view of Merapi and Candi Borobudur itself, and the staff, whom we understand are all locals who have been trained up by the owners - they could not have been more friendly, generous and helpful. The rooms are quite unusual and decked out like traditional Joglos - ours had a huge comfortable bed with ornate Javanese carvings. The bathroom boasted an impressive bath tub with and wonderful dragon spout, but the hot water came out in a weak dribble - it would have taken at least three hours to fill the bath to a decent level! We had no choice but to use the similarly dragon spouted shower, which required delicate fine tuning to achieve the right temperature. The toiletries supplied are of poor quality - a minute bar of strange looking soap and nondescript shampoo and conditioner, neither of which were replaced regularly enough.

We stayed for 5 nights which is probably too long. It was Low season and for at least two days we appeared to be the only people dining at the restaurant either for lunch or dinner. And this is one of the problems - the food is perfectly good, but the menu is relatively short and doesn’t change, the items are fairly hit and miss so we ended up sticking to the ones we liked, but then the portions appeared to get smaller and smaller as the days went by. Breakfast was more consistent.

One of the benefits of being virtually alone meant that we got sole use of the lovely Swimming pool below the dining area, although for the last couple of days we had to drag our own cushions and towels from the deck at one end of the pool.

The visit to the temple is impressive and well worth the trip, but there aren’t any decent restaurants to explore in the area. We had dinner at the Patio at the Plataran Hotel one night which was very disappointing- don’t bother! And also tried the restaurant at the Amanjiwo Hotel, ridiculously expensive and also sub-standard.

We would love to come back one day but will probably combine with a few days in Yogyakarta as well.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled with family
Yanazil L, Manajer Umum at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2018

Dear Tom,

Thank you for your review and also your comment. We are really appreciated. We will check and we are happy to do the action.

Regarding the guest, actually we have another guest who stayed in private villa, so they have a lunch and dinner in their own villa. That's why you could not meet the other guest in the main dining area.

Once again thank you for your feedback and it was a please to have you as our guest. We hope we could welcoming you again next time.

Yanazil and team

Reviewed February 10, 2018 via mobile

I flew to Yogyakarta for a 36-hour visit, and had booked the Borobudur suite with all the meals. The airport pickup and visit to Prambanan were flawless, and upon my arrival at Borobudur Resort I was greeted with a surprise late lunch (out of my one-day meal plan and delicious) and an upgrade to wonderful Villa Kayangan. This is a stunning villa, the one further up the hill, with a swimming pool and an amazing view on the valley and the surrounding volcanoes.

The evening meal was equally good. The room in the villa is very nice and comfortable, with a beautiful bathroom, and the staff is simply amazing, always eager to help—be it for a fresh fruit shake, a tea, or whatever else you may wish. I could have spent a week just gazing at the fantastic view and listening to the sounds of the surrounding woods.

The next morning I had a fantastic breakfast delivered outside my villa early in the morning and then one of the drivers took me to the stunning Borobudur temple, where I met a lot of local families and students visiting but very few “overseas” tourists. I must have been in at least 50 selfies with young people and even families, eager to swap a few words of English and take a picture with somebody from far away. The smiles and kindness of the people are truly heartwarming. After the temple the driver took me to the local market, and when I asked for a place to buy some nice object, preferably antique, he took me to a beautiful store run owned by a Japanese lady (studio Mendut) with beautiful objects and splendid old batiks. Again I was very pleasantly surprised by how spot-on the driver was. Then back to the hotel for the last lunch and on to Yogyakarta.

I travel a lot, but Villa Borobudur and its staff were really something special and I am at a loss of words to convey how much I enjoyed this short visit. The hotel and its surroundings are simply stunning. No doubt this was the best price-quality ratio I have ever come across, and I very much hope to come back with my family to this place. Rohmatul and the rest of the staff treated me like royalty, and I was not even charged for the visit to the two temples. Thank you for making my visit to their beautiful country so special!

Stayed: January 2018, traveled solo
Yanazil L, General Manager at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2018

Dear Gian,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are very glad to hear that you could enjoyed your stay with us. We gladly forward your compliment to our staff.

We are looking forward for your next visit.

Yana and team

Reviewed February 3, 2018 via mobile

We arrived to Villa Borobudur late due to flight delays. We called and spoke with Bibid. She assured us that the driver would wait at the airport until we arrived. Nanang was there to greet us.

After an hour drive we begin a very steep incline on a very narrow road with a series of tight hairpin turns. Then Nanang announced, “welcome home.” We arrived to our villa. There was an entourage waiting to greet us. They showed us around and we quickly realized that we were given an upgrade to the Kayangan Villa. We didn’t expect dinner as we arrived so late. They began to set out an amazing Javanese feast. What a welcome!

After the delicious dinner we finalized our itinerary with the team for the next day including a Borobudur Temple tour, lunch, massages and a romantic dinner.

A thunder storm rolled in and we fell asleep to sound of rain and thunder. We had an amazing sleep and didn’t even hear the early morning call to prayer. There are ear plugs in the room for your convenience as well.

The temple tour was fabulous. The majesty was beyond any of the photos we saw and our guide made the carvings and statues come to life.

After the tour, we returned to our villa and were greeted with a cold drink - a fresh coconut to quench our thirst. When the weather cleared we could pick out the temple in the distance. We had quite a commanding view from our villa.

Then other staff arrived to set up for lunch, followed by more cold drinks and massages. When we finished our massages the team was transforming the villa for a romantic dinner. They normally do the romantic dinner at another venue on property but due to the weather, they thought our villa was more protected. We couldn’t beat the view. There were roses, rose petals and luminaries every where. We learned that we would have a gamelon duo serenading us during our meal. Dinner was a javanese meal enjoyed for special celebrations- appropo for our anniversary. The day was perfect and magical and so flawlessly executed by the staff.

The next day we toured Prambanan Temple, a short drive past the airport. It would be ideal if you can coordinate your airport arrival and departure to include the temple tour to avoid making a separate trip. We enjoyed Nanang’s company and were back at the villa in time for lunch and a dip in the pool.

Our time at Villa Borobudur was way too short. The staff took such very good care of us. We felt like royalty. Thank you for making our last few days of our holiday in Indonesia so memorable.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Yanazil L, General Manager at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2018

Dear Anna and Harrison,

Thank you very much - terima kasih banyak - for staying in Villa Borobudur Resort. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure to have you as our guests!

We also respect your compliment to our staff. We are proud to have such an amazing team of local staff whom are able to show the genuine traditional Javanese hospitality to our guests. So that you can enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope we can welcoming you again next time in Villa Borobudur Resort.

Yanazil

Reviewed December 7, 2017

We had the most delightful experience in Villa Borobudur where we stayed for 4 nights last week. It was the off season, so when we reached we had the most pleasant experience of getting upgraded from Borobudur suite to Villa Merbabu (Thank you Bibid and Yana!) - a private villa with superb views of the surroundings and Borobudur temple in the distance, all the mountain peaks in front. Just superb. The villa had a private swimming pool, place to have massage outside and 2 bedrooms at the bottom and master on top along with a huge verandah. But the best part was the absolutely amazing service from every staff member- and we must have interacted with at least 10 of them- each one was excellent. We had signed up for the 'Javanese' package- would recommend you to do that- and hence had all meals included. We are vegetarians, and we had some delicious local vegetarian meals at all times. They also kept giving us superb fruit juices (mango was the highlight!) and fruits on demand and as requested. They were also very accomodating and very punctual. They would ask us for the time of next meal and were promptly ready at or before that. time. The driver (Nanang) who got us from the airport and took us back was also superb and we had a nice chat with him to understand him and the local culture. This villa is really in nature on a mountain, so at night we did have some insects in the verandah and all that, but then they would help by having candle light on our table and an extra light on the far side to attract those insects. The rooms were well stocked with repellants, the bed was covered with mosquito net. At night time and early morning (4 am) there are sounds from the mosques coming, but the ear plugs provided does the job, and after a night you get used to it. Overall, we really had a fantastic experience and would probably come back with larger family or friends group! Thank you Yana and the staff for an excellent experience!

Room Tip: Villa Merbabu, without a doubt!
  • Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rahulrupal
Yanazil L, General Manager at Villa Borobudur Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2017

Dear Rahul,

Thank you very much for your kind review and also compliment to our staff. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We gladly pass on the compliments to our staff and drivers. We are proud to have such an amazing team of local staff whom are able to show the genuine traditional Javanese hospitality to our guests.

We hope we could welcoming you again next time.

Kind regards,