Ways to Experience Harran Ruins
from US$2,490.00
More Info
All reviews turkey ancient city summer beehive ruins university tea
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 August 2020

Its a antic city ruins with the local houses what is very famous.
Harran is a place what is mentioned in the bible and its also important for the Muslims.
In the summer its very hot so its better to visit it in the morning.

Date of experience: November 2019
Reviewed 14 January 2020

I visited Harran with my friends. It was super windy day. But we enjoyed walking in Harran University. After, we went to Harran beehive houses. I loved decoration inside of house. It was very cute. After, we had tea & took photos. Nice place to take photos :) I am happy to visit here :)

Date of experience: May 2019
2  Thank Shirinerica
Reviewed 14 April 2019

Harran is mostly known as Carrhae, where one of the Triumvirs was killed by the Parthians, and a place of the battle of Harran, where crusaders were stopped from further eastwards expansion.

But there's much more to its history.
Harran was inhabited by worshippers of stars who not only somehow survived the Christian Byzantine rule, but continued to exist there for 500 years into the Muslim rule. They achieved that pretending to be Sabians mentioned in the Coran (while the mention refers probably to Mandeans). Active in the translation of Greek books to Arabic, they contributed to the spread of knowledge. While they were eventually removed from Baghdad, they continued to have their last temple in Harran until, in early 11th century, it was destroyed and they converted to islam out of fear, by the new rulers of the region, the Arab tribe of Numayr.

Today, while in Turkey, the city remains Arabic to the point it's not even claimed by Kurds. But the local youth mixes Arabic with Turkish words.

The city today is small and neglected, and is mostly reknown for beehive houses, like the ones you see in the environs of Hama in Syria. Its former glory can be seen in the monuments only.
There's a gate, but it's small and not very impressing.
The remains of the Great Mosque are few, but they still show it must have been a major city once. So does the fortress, with large bastions.
Do not give the local kids anything for "guidance". They know nothing about local history and would claim that the fortress used to be a church, because there's a cross-like ceiling there.

Date of experience: May 2018
2  Thank MathiasS75
Reviewed 31 January 2019

Visited in October 2018.
The actual beehive houses that are accessible to tourists are little more than souvenier shops. Yes, they are old, but they are crammed full of merchandise for sale.
Beware of the 'tour guides' at the main intersection in town who will swarm your car wanting to sell their overpriced wares. We fell for the sales pitch but within 10 minutes when it became obvious that we wouldnt be swayed to pay extra for a full day (instead of one hour) tour, our guide disappeared but not before demanding a tip - we did not give him one. Walking around the beehive houses and virtually anywhere near the tourist sites in town you are swarmed with very persistent children demanding money. There were even women yelling from windows asking for money.
An overall very unpleasant experience.

Date of experience: October 2018
5  Thank AndPancho
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

I’m not sure if we came on a bad day or what, but I definitely do not recommend visiting Harran. I traveled there with my husband and found the locals to be very aggressive, despite the fact that my husband is Turkish. Sometimes locals act aggressive around foreigners but are more easy going with people from their own country. I don’t know what was going on there today but we were extremely uncomfortable and didn’t even bother trying to look around on our own after the interaction we had in the parking lot. I’d say skip it and explore Urfa instead. Or if you really want to visit Harran, go with an official tour rather than attempting it independently.

Date of experience: October 2018