“Significantly Excellent Beer”

The New Malton
Ranked #6 of 98 Restaurants in Malton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New Free house with good food, open all day. Opened end August 2011
Reviewed 4 November 2018

We stayed a night nearby in late October and visited the New Malton for an evening meal. In such a place I always think that if the beer is good and well kept, then everything else will be to a high standard. I was not mistaken. We selected the somewhat indelicately named Old Legover Bitter and this was superb and a sign of things to come.

The pub/restaurant is on a corner of Malton's fine main square. Even at 7.00 in the evening it was very busy so we were lucky to be accommodated as we had only booked about an hour in advance. We both enjoyed fishcakes which were delicious. If my memory is correct we had some salad with them and then followed this with Helmsley Ice Cream. The staff who looked after us were very friendly and highly efficient and I sensed that the majority of the staff, (possibly all?), were female here, which might help to explain the very caring and creative atmosphere generated throughout the establishment.

If you are looking for a good value meal to a high standard and splendid beer, look no further than the New Malton. You will not be disappointed.....

1  Thank pixiwatsit

Reviewed 31 October 2018

whilst perhaps a little understaffed, this was overall a really lovely place, and although choices for vegetarians were a touch limited (still more than one choice as long as you like goats cheese or feta), the food we had was really, really tasty, and the puddings outstanding

1  Thank Martin H
Reviewed 27 October 2018

Usual friendly welcome, drinks order quickly taken, followed by menu choices . Normal wait for food being prepared and, all very enjoyable when the fish and chips, toad in the hole and, beef burger were consumed. Good decision of sticky toffee pudding to finish but, despite the good food and service, missed the bustle and, chatter of "mine hostess Gemma"
Trust you enjoyed your weekend off .

Reviewed 27 October 2018

A great choice by my Uncle, we had a lovely evening in this excellent eatery. As soon as we arrived, we received a warm welcome and the staff could not be more helpful. The dogs received their own water bowl and were offered treats! Our food was delicious and there was a great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

1  Thank tarkamerl
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Wow! What a wonderful experience! If you’re in any doubt about trying The New Malton, delay no longer!

Whilst on a short break to Staithes, we decided to give this pub a try based purely on TripAdvisor reviews. We’re very pleased we did! From the moment we arrived, me, my husband and our puppy Honey, were made to feel extremely welcome. As soon as we chose a table, the waitress was right behind us with a dog bowl of water and a saucer of dog biscuits! What service!

Ordering food was easy, with food and drink being served efficiently. I had the BEST EVER home-made Shepherd’s Pie that I’ve ever tasted. OMG. I still salivate when I tell friends about it! My husband had cod, chips and mushy peas - a very generous portion of flaky fish and chips that tasted ‘like they should.’

I would thoroughly recommend this pub to diners who like good food that is well cooked and reasonably priced. I can’t finish without mentioning the two young women who were running the place. They were friendly, super-efficient and very professional. Well done!

It’s just a shame that we live so far away.

1  Thank MissBoston444