“Delicious”
Review of Kloster Andechs

Kloster Andechs
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Andechs
Reviewed 10 March 2018

Beautiful monastery and wonderful restaurant with delicious beer and traditional home made food. The portions are gigantic!

Reviewed 6 March 2018

My husband and I drove from Munich primarily due to our love of the beer made here. We were not disappointed. Winter Bock and Weissbier direct from the brewery was delicious. It was a particularly sunny and warm day for March first and we enjoyed sitting outdoors with our beer and food. The food is cafeteria style. Simple and tasty. We toured the grounds and appreciated the lovely views and beautiful church. Well worth an excursion from Munich for a short day trip.

Reviewed 24 January 2018

This is a MUST day-trip from Munich; take the S-Bahn (S8) to Herrsching and Bus 951 that will take you to the bottom of the hill, atop which awaits the magnificent Klosterbrauerei Andechs - specifically, the Klostergasthof. There is a large terrace, but it was closed during my November visit. (On clear days, you can see the Bavarian Alps.) It is a large and rustic place with large communal tables and a few booths. It is a popular place for locals and humble beer pilgrims like myself. There is no table service, so here's what you do: step up to the Casse, pay for your beer - a liter mug will cost 7.30 (euro) - show the receipt at the next counter, the one with the giant keg, and claim your delicious beer, one of the best Germany has to offer. If you hunger, there is an adjoining room where you can get food in a cafeteria style. I settled for some tasty sausages and then settled in for a wonderful day.

1  Thank NeedPivo
Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

My advice if you are hesitating to put Kloster Andechs on your itinerary: Just GO!

I (German) took my extended (US) family there the first week of January. The experience totally beat the other “typical” beer hall visits in Munich:
- beer is great, fresh, and better than at other places
- the Schweinshaxn (no need to translate) are nice and crispy
- the roasted pig belly was even better !! They sell that by weight
- the church/chapel is a wonderful sight all in itself; and has been highly important for pilgrims throughout centuries (although they had a captive audience for a while - at one time, the local duke actually forced all the people from the area to visit on one of the holy days)

Returning back to the US I was stumped when I found Kloster Andechs Weiße offered at “the Publican” Pub in the Chicago Airport .... had to have it of course.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Although the restaurant was self-service, but food was great. Beer, pretzel, sausages, cheese dip, cucumber, radish and pork, all were super yummy.