“Lively Crowd!”

The Haughmond
Price range: US$13 - US$44
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Award winning bar & restaurant, rooms and village store complete this modern coaching inn. Serving great food of local provenance with passion, whilst also offering an interesting wine list, specialist gin menu and great real ales. 7 course 'Tastes of The Haughmond' menu is available alongside a seasonal A La Carte menu, Tuesday to Saturday lunch and dinner. (Please note no food served on Mondays) On Friday and Saturdays from 3pm we serve Afternoon Tea and on Sundays its just a great lunch served 12 til 5pm! Located just off Shrewsbury's beaten track in the village of Upton Magna. A visit is a must! Booking strongly recommended...
Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

We were here in a group of 11 out for a good Saturday evening and this lovely restaurant did not disappoint. For a start we were quite noisy but the the staff were engaging, helpful and patient! As a G&T devotee I was so impressed by their printed G&T menu of about 6 to choose from. The food was the highlight though, a brand new menu and it was superb. I chose the mackerel starter followed by the venison which was as tender and delicious as any I have tasted. The food was presented beautifully. Thanks The Haughmond for a fab evening, sorry we we so loud, a warning ...we will be back! Don't hesitate book!!

1  Thank Fiona A

Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

My partner and I visited the haughmond for Sunday lunch as we wanted to go somewhere that had options other than just Sunday dinner and had enjoyed the food on a previous evening visit. We arrived and were greeted by a friendly barmaid. Although there was a short delay on our table, we were seated in a nice spot by a huge stag canvas. The small details of the setting really made it feel like a homely countryside put including the pheasant feather table decoration and the stag antler in the fireplace. Looking at the menu, we couldn't resist a starter selecting from a range of options such as soup, terrine and mushrooms on toast. I opted for the fishcake and my partner the smoked duck and blackberry salad. Both starters were delicious with very tasty dressing. These were cleared promptly. The main menu had Sunday dinner options of beef (served pink) (£2 supplement) and rolled lamb. There were also a range of options including chicken with a creamy sauce, a veal and foie gras burger, a fish option that sounded yummy and the belly pork that we selected. This was served with black pudding mash, a white pudding fritter and a mustardy jus type sauce. The presentation of this was excellent and the taste did not let it down with perfectly cooked belly pork with a great crunch to the crackling. We were extremely impressed with the huge portion of veg that was brought out with oven roasted carrots and parsnips which had lots of flavour, red cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower in a creamy mustard sauce. There was mountains of this and it really completed and already tasty meal. My only criticism was that I would have liked a little more of the sauce. Having finished our main, we decided to be naughty and have dessert as this was only an extra £3 in with the 3 course option. I chose the brownie but swapped the ice cream for coconut sorbet and my partner had the sticky toffee with butterscotch sauce. Both were delicious and good sized portions. 3 courses cost us £19 which we felt was very good value considering the amount of food we were given. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and made us feel very welcome. We will definitely be returning and I would recommend a visit.

3  Thank podda
Reviewed 11 January 2017

Right from the start, the email confirmation of our booking, a reminder email, very useful, the food - exceptional, as was the service and the ambiance, all perfect. The steak I ordered was a little under done for me, but they took it back very gratiously, returned it with a little extra treat on the plate, and a fresh bowl of chips, now that is good service! Could not fault the restaurant. I have been there several times now and have never had cause to complain.

2  Thank Salpots
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Came here for my boyfriend's birthday meal just us two and chose the 9 course tasting menu with matching wine flight. Although not cheap, it is excellent value for money. The portion sizes are more than adequate considering you get NINE delicious courses. The food was absolutely fabulous and we also got very generous pourings of excellent quality wines with most courses. We left feeling stuffed and happy. After seeing other dishes off their main menu coming out to other diners, we can't wait to return for maybe just 3 courses.

2  Thank Mollie J
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

I was recommended The haughmond by a fellow chef, and I wasn't disappointed! I booked a table for two for my wife's birthday, and we opted for the 9 course taster menu (I was worried it wouldn't be available after the link on the website was unavailable) but it was and it was faultless, start to finish. A brilliant journey through local and seasonal produce, matched with great, well thought out wines along the way! Each dish reflected the a la carte menu and represented them flawlessly, I got to enjoy hard to come by favourites, such as fois gras and artichoke as well as perfectly cooked game such as rabbit and venison without feeling as if I missed out on anything on the a la carte! The waitress was superb, very knowledgeable and professional, explaining each course and it's elements as well as the type, name and region of wine picked for the courses. Despite the food being high end, the restaurant itself was completely unpretentious, almost casual, which is something seldom seen yet refreshing and welcomed by my partner and i, we found ourselves belly laughing at a gentleman's congious laughter at the bar, while enjoying his ale, and my wife fell in love with the local pup, Boris! If I could give more stars I would.... We'll definitely return soon

3  Thank Ben G