“Sommelier poured himself a glass of our wine!”
Review of Briketenia

Briketenia
Reserve with
Briketenia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Guethary
Price range: US$40 - US$111
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2018

The food was excellent, our waiter was excellent, but I found this strange.....We ordered a bottle of wine that, I believe, cost about 150.00. I watched the sommelier open it away from the table, pour a glass, not a small taste, a glass, sniff it, and carried it into the hotel (we were seated outside). When he eventually brought the bottle to our table for us to taste and to pour us our first glass, I asked him, “was it good? Did you taste it?” He ignored the question. My French is not good enough to have asked the question in French. He definitely spoke English, as he spoke English to us later. As the restaurant was excellent and everyone else was so accommodating and professional, I let it go. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Date of visit: August 2018
Camille I, Gérant at Briketenia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Dear Sirs,
Thanks you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent dinner at Briketenia and please accept our deepest apologies for this incident that is not the usual high standards we strive for our restaurant.
Be assured that this is not something that happen commonly and that all measures were taken immediately in order to keep this an isolated occurrence. Our sommelier, still young, did not measure the importance of its acts and will from now on, make sure to be extra careful about this.
We truly hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in us upon a new visit. Best regards, Ibarboure.

Reviewed 17 July 2018

I have eaten at 10 Michelin-starred restaurants in Italy, Spain, Portugal, France and the US in the last 12 months. This was by far my WORST experience. (Including the fact that they allowed a purse-dog into the restaurant - truly stunningly bad taste.)

My hotel's concierge called to make sure that the restaurant would do a vegetarian meal. They assured the hotel that they would be happy to do so. When I got to the restaurant (after the cab was 40 minutes late and ridiculously expensive) they seemed to have forgotten that I was supposed to have a vegetarian tasting (I called three times to advise them of my late arrival and each time mentioned that I was a vegetarian).

It took forever to get my first service of wine and water. Then the meal started, albeit intermittently. I have never waited so long between courses and between wines.

The food was nothing special. Good but not great. No dish was Michelin-amazing.

Only one server was really good (Evan from Portugal). Everyone else seemed to be very indifferent.

I have no idea how this place has 1 star.

Date of visit: July 2018
Camille I, Gérant at Briketenia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent experience with us and please accept our sincerest apologies for the fact that you were unhappy with your visit.
We are a 1star Michelin traditional restaurant which is used to adapt its cuisine to special diets and allergies, but we would not, in anyway, pretend that we are indeed a vegetarian restaurant. This is not our cuisine, and neither our tradition. Our guest satisfaction is what we care the most about so we apologise for the poor service that you encountered during your meal is not the usual high standards that we strive for here at Briketenia.
I am also sorry that you were unhappy with the taxi services, this I am afraid is not something within our abilities to alter in anyway.
Please give us a chance to improve upon your opinion of the restaurant in the future.
Best regards, Ibarboure

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

We treated ourselves to a romantic dinner at this Michelin starred gem in Basque country and can’t stop talking about how amazing the meal was. The terrace was lovely and laid back and the service was very attentive but friendly and not uptight. We also really enjoyed talking with the chef as he made his rounds at the end and learning that it was a family affair.
Accompanied by a wonderful bottle of white Mersault, the food was all divine. The tasty amuses bouches started things right and my langoustines prepared 5 different ways was to die for. My husband said the sweetbreads were the best he’s ever had and my monkfish with spring vegetables in s very fragrant sauce was incredible and a revelation of flavors.
Reasonably priced for the quality of the food and the service. A must if you are in the area- we will certainly be back!

Date of visit: April 2018
Camille I, Gérant at Briketenia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear Sirs,
What a truly beautiful review! We are so thankful to read that and looking forward to seeing you again.
Best regards, Ibarboure

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Excellent food, impeccable service, very friendly staff!
We had lunch there 3 days in a row, it was all wonderful!

Date of visit: March 2018
Camille I, Gérant at Briketenia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback after your recent stay with us and for our 5 out of 5 score.
We are delighted to read your satisfaction and truly hope to welcome you again soon in our home. Best regards, Ibarboure.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

This understated yet exceptional Michelin star restaurant has the feeling of a family run restaurant but has the quality of a top establishment. Our favourite starter was the rabbit a la royal. The venison we had as a main course was cooked to perfection and not too gamy in flavour. The desserts were original and delicious albeit we would have expected slightly larger portions especially in the Basque Country.

Date of visit: December 2017
Camille I, Gérant at Briketenia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Dear Guests,
Thank you for sharing your opinion and for the nicest review. Looking forward seeing you again. Warm regards, Ibarboure.