Kohantei
Toya Gokirakutei(Toyako-cho)
US$103
US$97
Ryokan
Grand Village Toya Daiwa Ryokan Annex(Toyako-cho)(Great Value!)
US$102
Priceline
Hotel Cocoa(Toyako-cho)
Daiwa Ryokan(Toyako-cho)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe busoutdoor onsenlake toyabuffet stylesoap and shampoowonderful onsenpay attentionscenic viewhotel lobbybreakfast and dinneropen airjapanese channelsfemale guestswarm bathonsen experiencegreat viewbit dated
Reviewed 29 October 2015

For me, the highlight of this hotel was the food and the view. We took a half tatami and half western style room and it overlooked the lake, which was beautiful. The hotel is old and is in need of a refresh, although it's clean. The bedding did not look like much, but was comfortable when we lay down. However, in terms of corners of wallpaper, the hotel was indeed showing it's age. The room also smelled vaguely of smoke. The TV only had Japanese channels.

The toilet was small and looked like it had been updated a few years ago but, while clean, was also old. This being an onsen hotel, most guests are expected to use the communal baths, but there was a shower stall as well.

There is free parking opposite the hotel. It would be also good to note that the hotel does levy the onsen charge.

For us, the saving grace of this hotel was the view and the food. The night view of the lake was lovely and the fireworks happen right outside the hotel. The food was also delicious and, to us, of a high quality.

The staff were polite and they had a few staff who could speak Mandarin, to cater to the Mandarin speaking tourist. The front desk spoke English.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled with family
1  Thank PrisVivienne
Reviewed 27 October 2015

I have to say that my first visit was some time ago (back in 2007 or 2008) but it was not like what I remembered it was (or was it my perception?). It used to be a nice hotel with nice room, good variety of food during dinner at the restaurant and nice breakfast too. I was with my friend during the first visit and we especially enjoyed the rooftop onsen cos you can also see the fireworks!

This time it was a little different. Maybe after almost 10 years their facilities have worn out quite a lot. The room looks a bit old and the tiny bathroom is also smelly. Although staying in an Onsen hotel you seldom use the in-room bathroom but you will wash your face and brush your teeth at night and in the morning so that matters.

The restaurant is always too busy and packed with guests and the way they were not so friendly either. I can only imagine that it's because of all the madness that they've seen and gone through during the past few years when the mainland chinese "conquer" the area. The staff couldn't really distinguish the difference between Asians / Chinese / HKers...etc so it's unlucky for us. The variety of food is hopelessly limited for both breakfast and dinner.

During the stay I walk around the area and discovered that there's a very nice and new hotel right next door and although it costs a lot more, I think I'm gonna stay there for my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2015

This hotel sits right on the lake along side other properties. We had chosen this one because the price was the most reasonable for a room with a view of the lake. We had a traditional styled room and it was warm and comfortable. The benefits of a lake view room is you wake up with a beautiful view and you can watch the nightly fireworks (starting at 845pm) directly from the windows of your room. Dinner and breakfast were included in the price of the room. This is a hotel that is frequented by large groups so lifts crowded occasionally.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Drew_X79
Reviewed 28 September 2015

We stayed in this hotel in a standard lake view room for 2 nights from 4 to 6 Aug. When we first arrived at the hotel, we were surprise and happy that there were hotel staff standing outside to receive us. Just standing at the entrance we were WOW by the open end to end view of the lake. Everything seems so nice and beautiful then came the arrival of a big tour groups (we came to realize that the staff were actually waiting to receive them). We ended up having to wait and squeeze with the big tour group to get the lift up to our hotel room on the 4th floor. When we arrived the corridor it smelled horrible of “stale oily cooking”! and carpet was dirty! We were beginning to feel uneasy and it was made worst when we look into our room it was small, smelly and dirty feel like the carpet hasn’t been cleaned for a long time, we dare not step on the carpet bare footed! The 3 of us just kept really quiet we kind of lost heart of how to survive our 2 days stay here! I couldn’t sleep on the first night due to the smell seems like the air blowing from the ac is also smelly of cooking oil.

Our stay includes breakfast and dinner, another great let down. We felt like we were in a very big canteen except that it is decorated. We have to go bare foot on the mats which were not cleaned, kind or sticky and the seats have stained. The whole place smelled of stale cooking oil! And it was hot and stuffy! Expect to “Q” for food. The only consolation was they have a counter that serves good beef steak cubes which was delicious.

This hotel price may seem the best affordable after the more expensive hotels but for what you are getting is not worth the price at all. In this locality it is better to pay more for the expensive hotel and get what you deserve. This hotel is the second most costly of 5 hotels we stayed in Hokkaido and it is the VERY VERY TERRIBLE one.

WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN! AND DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND SPOIL YOUR HOLIDAY HERE.
Unless if you are on a very very tight budget.

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled with family
1  Thank Angel3918
Reviewed 18 September 2015

The only good thing about this hotel is the view. I am not sure if all the rooms in this hotel were as outdated as the ones we had: small, old, bathrooms were very small, had an urine odor, we sprayed like half of the room fragrance bottle we found in the room, which made the floor wet-- but the odor was STILL there. The dinner and breakfast buffet was actually not too bad, the food quality is good and fresh,variety is limited but ok. This hotel is comparatively cheaper than those fancy ones nearby -- I think I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: choose the lake-side room
  • Stayed: August 2015, traveled with family