8,903 results
All reviewsadult poolbeer gardenlas dunasfamily poolinternational buffetseafooda la carte restaurantslobby barfamily sectionthe buspizzasanta claraice cream parlourchickenromantico restaurantthe grilllarge resort

Edmonton AB
Considering the Hurricane damage from fall 2017 this resort is in amazing condition. Bluest water and Whitest sand I've ever seen. Weather was +25 to +29 while we visited.
Food was good, room great, bar service the best.
Take the Catamaran tour...awesome.
Really all I can say is I'd return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Second Floor for less noise
3  Thank sbrimages
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Guest:

We have been honored with your presence at Melia Las Dunas.

We thank your honesty and we feel very proud to acknowledge you look so glad about having spent your holiday with us.

It will be our pleasure to host you back again in a near future.

See you soon!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I can start off by saying this was our second visit to MLD, and our overall experience wasn't as good as our first trip in 2014.

We stayed in building 33 room 16. Check in was long, and staff weren't in a hurry to help families with small children. We got there around 1:30pm, everyone in our check-in line was taken to their rooms, but according to the staff our room wasn't ready yet and to check back in 30 minutes. We waited and went back, but no luck with the customer service desk. We asked around to a few staff members and thankfully one of them offered to take our luggage and us to the room to see if it was ready - it was! Thank you for that! Our toddler was already starving and cranky at that point!

Room -
Our room was very dated, but livable so we continued with that for the week. There were evenings that there was no hot water in the shower. Our tub/shower was marked, rusted and very worn. I didn't even want to pick-up our shower handle at all. Mattress was SO hard, after being home for 5 days my back still hurts.
We requested a crib before we got to the hotel, but no crib was in the room so I had to ask again once we arrived.

Hotel -
The resort is beautiful, but dated and the people work very hard to keep it looking beautiful, the gardeners work very hard to maintain them. Lobby is beautiful, great spot for a coffee and relaxation. We loved the lobby bar, from morning to night. The staff were so polite and thoughtful, they always made sure we were taken care of. We spent a majority of our time at the family pool, beds were always easy to find. Again, floor is cracked and not easy to walk bare-foot around the pool, dated and needs some updating but otherwise we had a great time with our toddler here. We used to baby pool also, considering its a baby pool it is VERY slippery and the vent cover in the center of the pool comes off which leaves a 4 ft whole in the floor for children to fall into. Just be mindful with your kiddies in there. Pool bar was always helpful, and made sure we had a drink. Thank you!

Beach -
Out of this world. This is the reason we came back to Santa Clara, after going to Dominican & Mexico, this beach is just unbeatable. The team at MLD have worked so hard to get it back to as it was before the hurricane, almost unnoticeable! We LOVED the beach and would go back to Santa Clara just for the beach. Just an FYI it was VERY windy, and red flagged most days we were there.

Food -
This is where is gets sad for us because in 2014, we actually didn't mind the food. After spending the last few years in Dominican and Mexico, we've definitely seen a huge difference. The food at the buffet was the same every night, it became so repetitive. My husband ate the Pulled pork, and was sick for about three days. All three of us came home and our tummy's still aren't right. We won't be returning to MLD for this reason mainly, unless the food makes a substantial change.

Baby Club -
I'm writing this as a section because I couldn't find any information on this on previous posts before we left. The baby club was outstanding. Eylieen (forgive my spelling) you loved my little one as much as you would your own. You deserve so much! You are the one that made our vacation so much better. Baby club was open from 9-1 and opened again from 3-5. They played with the kids, kept them happy in the shade and had activities planned for them to do. My two-year old learned how to count to 5 in Spanish thanks to Eylieen!

24 HR Bar -
After being here a few days, we spent a lot more time here because our little one couldn't always wait for buffet times and lunch times. The staff here beat every other bar/buffet service. They were outstanding, and even helped us when we had a 5am wake-up call to come home and served us breakfast. You were all absolutely outstanding.

Overall it was a great family trip, and spending time with our little one was priceless. The people that work at this resort are amazing, and probably the nicest resort staff we have ever met. Thank you MLD for a great trip and hope this helps with updating the resort and food! :)

Room Tip: For Family side buildings 28-33 are great!
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
3  Thank PBrathwaite2015

Dear Guest:

I thank you very much for your detailed review and comments. We are very pleased to know that you had a great family trip.

Thanks also for your nice comments about our staff, they are hard working men and ladies that makes our guests happy, I will mention your comment with all people involved.

You can be sure that we will take into consideration your comments to reorient our efforts in order to improve our service and the satisfaction we provide to our guests.

We would always be really honored to have you back.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 April 2018

This was my 4th time at Melia Las Dunas, and it will be my last We we’re put in an older room that was dirty, the closet door would not close, and there was sand on the bed. I had to call 3 times before we were told that we would be moved to another room, thanks to Pablo at guest services who finally helped us. Now the fact that I returned 4 times means that I did like this resort in the past, and this trip we also had a good time, however I don’t like waiting 30 minutes for a drink in the lobby at night... which happened every night, they have a main bar which is packed at night but they don’t open the disco bar area to accommodate the increase in traffic, so I recommend you order 2 drinks because the chances are they will not return to get another order from you, and this is coming from a tipper... they just can’t handle the amount of people at night. Overall the food is good for Cuba standards, you should be satisfied with the food even if it seems repetitive. Goodbye Melia Las Dunas.

Room Tip: Family pool is noisy so don’t get a room around the pool if you want to nap.
7  Thank travelnutWindsor
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear Guest.

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Melia Las Dunas for your holiday.

We apologize for all of the inconveniences you mentioned and we are very sorry that the service received was not up to the standards you expected and deserved.

We sincerely thank you for your comments. Please be assured that we will take them all into consideration, in order to improve our services and make our hotel a better choice for our clients. Our repeat guest are very important for our resort and we always take care about their vacation with us.

If you decide to give us another chance; please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 April 2018

The resort was very nice but big so there was a lot of walking. We were expecting bland, not good food from what we've heard of Cuba but we found a lot of the food quite good there. The buffet had many options to choose from and there were snack bars and a pizza place as well. The a la cartes were okay but not great. Beach was great, but windy so no water sports were available during our trip.

BE AWARE OF EXCHANGE RATE.
The bank across the lobby gives a better exchange rate than the hotel desk and they give you a receipt. The hotel desk wouldn't give me a receipt, and the exchange wasn't accurate. I went to the bank and they gave me back almost $50 more than the desk was trying to give me. The hotel doesn't inform you of the difference in exchange rate though.

BE AWARE OF ROOM SAFE.
During our trip some money and my wallet went missing out of our room safe. We tore our room apart and emptied the safe but it was gone. When i went down to report it to guest services it took a very long time and the communication wasn't the best. I filled out a report and they radioed for security (who didn't speak English) and told me that it couldn't have been taken. After a while, my girlfriend went back up to the room while I waited and she found our stuff had been placed back in the safe. I explained to guest services that someone working there had been in and out of our safe but they were less than helpful and constantly left me sitting around waiting while they dealt with other things. We had our stuff back and they didn't seem overly eager to look into it so eventually i just left as id spent most of the afternoon dealing with it. I'll be cancelling my cards just in case. The whole thing was sketchy and from then on we locked all our stuff in our luggage and didn't use the safe.

6  Thank 670anonymous

Dear Guest:

First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen our resort as the destination for your vacation and for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us.

Concerning to the safe box, we would like to point out that it works with a password of 4 numbers that you enter once in the room, you only can unlock the safe with this code and you are the only person who has access to the safe.

Regarding to the exchange rate, we offer this service but the exchange rate of the Front Desk it is not the same that Cadeca apply.

It will be our pleasure to host you back again in a near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We recently visited Melia Las Dunas for a week stay during March Break. Great resort. Fantastic entertainment. Terrific service. Great drinks. Nice pool. Great beach. Beautiful and well laid-out. Terrible food. Looked like they were trying to improve the buffet with audits and inspections during the week. The buffet was too crowded, very noisy, long lines and very little variety over the course of the week. The resort gets an A. Buffet a D. I would definitely go again, but only on confirmation that the buffet has improved.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
3  Thank PeglegBluenoser

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to know you consider it was a great resort and thank you very much for letting us know.

Concerning the food, our Executive Chef works hard to offer different types of dishes for our guests coming from all over the world, we are sorry if our food offerings did not fulfill your expectations.For sure we will work very hard in the improvement of our food.

Do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit.

Best Regards,