Iberostar Daiquiri(Cayo Guillermo)
US$117
iberostar.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Sol Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
US$142
US$142
US$114
iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Melia Cayo Guillermo(Cayo Guillermo)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Villa Azul(Cayo Guillermo)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Break Point(Cayo Guillermo)
Villa Gregorio(Cayo Guillermo)
Hotels.com
All reviewsinfinity poolgarbage canscrepesshower doorget ready for dinnerseafoodindian chefrain head showerpool servicethe pool guysresort is gorgeoussnack barcrabpleasant holidaywatered down drinksbeefhour restaurant
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Arrived at Grand Muthu, a new and beautiful resort located in picturesque Cayo Guillermo on March 16 - 23.
Check in: Our flight was delayed on the outbound and we arrived at hotel at 11:20pm. We received a warm welcome and were checked in fairly quickly. Our bags were immediately delivered to our room. Given that it was late, we were happy to learn that the snack bar was still open. A very friendly server at the snack bar told us that he had burgers, hot dogs and fries. He suggested that we go to the buffet which was open. To our surprise, there was a wide arrangement of food which absolutely delicious. The servers were so warm and welcoming. Our server advised that they remained open just for us as they knew our flight was late. From that moment, I knew we were in good hands. Very thoughtful and much appreciated. Thank you MGM!!!
Buffet: Always a great variety to choose from. Having been to Cuba many times, this was the first time that we found the food very flavourful and delicious. Line-ups for e.g. omelettes etc. moved very quickly. Special thank yous to all the servers especially Oscar and Yani.
We were pleasantly surprised with a seafood night on Thursday. It was also my birthday, so even better. The abundance and selection of seafood was incredible and so delicious. Serenaded by a Cuban band playing lovely music was an added touch.
Another pleasant surprise was a pig roast cookout held on Friday for lunch. Again, food was absolutely delicious and Mojitos made by a very pleasant bartender. This was the day we were leaving, very memorable way to leave. Live Cuban band played beautiful music as well. We'll done MGM!!!
A la carte Restaurants: the seafood restaurant was outstanding! Italian: food would have been great if it weren't as salty. ‎
Activities: lots to do. Exercise classes at the pool e.g. yoga, zumba etc., pool volleyball, pool basketball and other water games, archery, tennis, soccer, beach volleyball and kickboxing. Special thank you to Arcel for rounding up people everyday to play beach volleyball. His enthusiasm and infectious personality, made it so much fun to play everyday even on windy days. Very special thank you to Pedro who teaches archery, kickboxing, gym instructor, soccer and tennis. Met Pedro at the gym where the leg press machine wasn't working properly. Pedro was very innovative and suggested other exercises to compensate. He explained proper techniques and benefits of each exercise. Pedro also introduced me to kickboxing as cardio to finish my workout. I thoroughly enjoyed learning kickboxing and think I've now found a new sport. All thanks to Pedro!! Pedro also taught some friends and I how to play tennis. MGM you have found a gem!!! Do not lose Pedro. His knowledge, patience, calmness, pleasant attitude and attention to detail in teaching is incredible! I plan on coming back for more of Pedro's kickboxing instructions.
Gym: very nice equipment. Enjoyed a great workout everyday. Suggestion: getting dumbbells, mats to stretch and disposable wipes to clean machines after use would make it perfect.
Entertainment: great variety everyday/night. Staff was very warm and friendly. We tried going to the (temporary disco) Sports bar but it was almost always empty after the nightly show ... mostly staff. Would have loved to learn some salsa and bachata. (Food for thought when the Disco opens.)
Room Service: our housekeeper Eljias was very pleasant. She did a fantastic job cleaning our room everyday and always left a different towel design on our bed each day. Bottled water was always restocked in our fridge each day.
Beach: absolutely beautiful. It looked and felt like paradise . White sandy beach where you can walk for a while into the turquoise ocean. Water is clear where you can watch schools of fish, crabs and pelicans (land on the water ). Approximately 7 workers at a time cleaned up seaweed everyday. The amount lessened from the time we arrived to the time we left. Palapas were half built when we arrived and completely finished built before we left. Yes, you do need to go early in the morning to reserve a beach chairs. Well worth it. (Same everywhere you travel.)
Pools: very beautiful including an infinity pool and swim up pool bar. Could use a few more umbrellas.
Grounds: very well kept and beautiful in spite of the hurricane last year. Gardeners are constantly tending to them.
Checkout: if leaving later in the day, you can ask the front desk early in the morning the day you're leaving to reserve a shower time for you/family in a complimentary room or you have the option of extending your room where the cost is $10 CUC/pesos an hour.
Thank you so much MGM for a very relaxing, beautiful and memorable ‎vacation at Grand Muthu. We will be back!!

Room Tip: Rooms in bldgs. 6 & 7 are closer to the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
12  Thank mlkcu18
MGM_Muthu_Hotels, General Manager at Grand Muthu Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Dear mlkcu18,

We want to thank you for had chose our resort to spend your holidays and give us your feed back. We´re so happy to know that you had a very nice experience here with us. We hope you give us the oportunity in your next visit to show that we´re working to make our clients happy.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My family stayed in this hotel for March break from March 11 to March 18 2018. It's our 8th stay in Cuba (mostly Varadero, some trips to Holguin and Cayo Coco). Overall it's the best hotel I've seen in Cuba, and one of the best in the whole south. I'd like to thank staff and management for the pleasant vacation.
BEACH:
Beach is shallow, water gets warm fast, that's good for families with kids. You can walk a couple of hundred meters until it's deep enough to be unsafe for kids. May be inconvenient for adults, as you'll have to walk another hundred meters to be able to swim. If it sounds like an issue, there are three great pools.
POOLS:
Pools are great. There are lounge chairs inside the pool, so you can lay down in the water. One pool has bar and a beautiful sea view.
ROOMS:
The hotel is very new and clean. Since it's new, everything s working - shower, TV, safe - all in the perfect shape. Beds are comfortable.
STAFF:
Best staff I've ever seen in Cuba. Friendly, work fast and don't expect tips. You come to a bar and gets served immediately. I got used that it takes a few minutes or a peso until barmen notices you. Not in this hotel. All the staff really works to make your stay enjoyable.
FOOD:
Better that usually in Cuba. I liked Thursday's seafood day - tasty half lobsters, crab legs, plenty of them! A-la-carte restaurants are all good. Italian is probably the best. Indian has real Indian food, that even european-background family enjoyed. Seafood restaurant is good. International restaurant is nothing special.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
8  Thank Dmitry S

Dear Dmitry S,

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I stayed at the Grand Muthu Cayo Guillermo from March 23, 2018 to March 30, 2018. Overall the vacation was fantastic. The property is beautiful. The people are amazing. The weather not so good.

WEATHER: Cayo Guillermo is known for its wind and if you are into parasailing, then this is the place for you. If you like hot – you will be cold. Remember to pack warm clothing for the night time. Pack a hoodie, pants, long sleeve tops and sweaters… just in case. Many of the guests felt the same as I did in terms of the weather. We had some gorgeous sunny days, but we always had the wind. Bring lots of sunscreen… you can get burned even when it is cloudy. The positive to the wind…. No mosquitos!!! I did not use any bug spray.

CURRENCY: DO NOT EXCHANGE YOUR MONEY AT THE AIRPORT. On the day I arrived the airport was charging 42 cents on the dollar while the resort it was 30 cents. Also, DO NOT bring American. You will lose another 13 cents on the dollar when you exchange to CUC… not sure why since they say the CUC in on par with the USD. You can bring US $1 bills to tip; however, it is easier for the staff if you tip in CUC.

FOOD: 8 out of 10. There was variety and plenty to eat. You will find something to eat. I am gluten, dairy and sugar free and I was able to find things to eat. Not everything I ate was compliant to my diet but I did not go hungry. The seafood and Indian a la carte restaurants were FANTASTIC. The International was just okay. Very small portions and I ended up going to the buffet afterwards where I ate crab, lobster and other seafood. I heard the Italian a la carte was really good and very large portions. The biggest issue I had with the food was it was most often lukewarm unless you waited in line at one of the grilling or pasta stations. If you like your food really hot, I recommend going to the buffet before you are really hungry and stand in line. It is worth it. You are allowed three a la carte restaurants which you can book all at the same time; however, some people did not get any a la carte and the reservation line up is very long.

ROOM: Amazing – 10 out of 10. I slept like a baby. The bed was soooo comfortable. I did not have any issues with my room. I was in building 1… very close to the lobby. It turned out to be a really convenient location. The room has an iron, ironing board, a safe and plenty of plugs. I did not need a converter/adaptor to charge any of my devices. The television has a few English movie channels, Disney and CNN. The washroom is equipped with a hair dryer, sewing kit, shower cap, scale, shampoo, soap, shower gel, lotion, plenty of towels and hot water. I loved the rain shower. Lots of pressure. I heard some people had issues with the shower not draining and hot water.

PEOPLE: 10 out of 10. I received excellent customer service. I always try to make the best out of every situation and try not to do a lot of complaining. The staff are very hard working. You can see that they are doing their best to accommodate the guests. Some people are impossible to please and we had one in our group. No one can please her so be careful when you read these reviews…. I am sure she will have a lot of negative things to say here. Some of the staff I would like to mention for their extraordinary service are the following: Andrew in the buffet (crepes and waffles), Yosmier in the gym, Angel at reception...amazing smile; Angel, the food and beverage supervisor… very helpful, Yovanni at reception, Lendro and Alexander in the buffet …very personable and Rosanna my room attendant. There are so many more wonderful staff members.

EXCURSIONS: We went on the excursion that took us into Moron, the Alligator Farm, the Sugar Museum, the speed boat and included lunch, all for 75 CUC. It was a great way to get away from the resort for the day and to get a taste of the real Cuba. Most of the staff live in Moron. We also went to Pilar beach on the hop-on-and-off bus which is 5 CUC for the day. It cost 2 CUC for a lounge chair and 10 CUC for a cabana that can hold three people AND you get three free drink tickets. The drinks are about 3 to 4 CUC each so this is a really good deal. There are lots of excursions to choose from. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the VIP (at the airport). It cost 25 CUC but it is so worth it. It includes an expedite check in when you arrive at the airport. I was through check in, immigration / passport control and security within 10 minutes. Four buses arrived at the airport at the same time and the regular line up was through the door. Once through security you get to wait in the VIP lounge where there have comfortable couches, free sandwiches, snacks, drinks and wi-fi. Our plane was three hours delayed so the VIP lounge was worth every peso. You also get to board the plane first right from the VIP lounge.

ENTERTAINMENT: The theatre is still under construction so the shows are all outdoors. I really enjoyed most of the shows especially the aqua show by the pool. The entertainment staff is very talented. The Sports Bar turns into the disco after 11:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. The music is very good and there are some staff in there leading the dancing. The lobby has a show during the evenings and there is also music and games down by the pool during the days.

POOLS: There are three pools. The water is very cold. I did not go in but lots of guests did and they really enjoyed it. There is also a water park for the children; however, I did not see anyone there (since it was cold). At the beginning of the vacation there were plenty of free lounge chairs, however, it became more difficult finding a free chair especially if you wanted a shaded area. The resort will need to add more umbrellas.

BEACH: The entrance is located at the side of the resort. It could be a long walk for some. The water coconut stand is along the way – it is free…. Just tip. There are plenty of lounge chairs and they are currently building more palapas. Because of the windy conditions while I was there, the water was very cold until you got used to it. Some days the water was cloudy with lots of seaweeds and you could not see the bottom; on other days, it was clear and you could walk out at least 60 meters and it was only knee deep. Take a walk along the beach and visit the other resorts.

Overall, it was a great vacation. Will I go back.... in the summer months only. I loved the facility and the staff.

P.S. There are lots of well behaved children at this resort. I really enjoyed watching them play together in and around the pool. If you want quiet, you will have to stay in your room.

Enjoy!!!!

Room Tip: Building 1 ground floor was very close to the pool. Easy access to go out and save a lounge chair
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
12  Thank Cecilia23_2018

Dear Cecilia23_ 2018,

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Spent a glorious week at the Grand Muthu from March 20th – March27th.

I cannot speak highly enough about this resort or the staff. This resort is the best I have encounter in Cuba (and I’ve been to a lot) and I cannot imagine going anywhere else now in fact I’ll be spending my 6 weeks’ vacation here!

The staff- AMAZING..

Judith Alfonso is an amazing person from day one (even before the resort opened answering questions) always making sure all was well with the guest and spending a few moments in her busy schedule to sit and chat.

Yovany at reception THE BEST he truly cares about the guests and puts the guest first to make sure they are happy. He is friendly, helpful, caring, always going above and beyond and is truly an amazing soul with fantastic customer service skills.

Jose and Jose at the Lobby bar… the best bartenders and great men who take good care of the guest.

I didn’t get all the staff’s names but, they are all fantastic.. everyone at reception, the lobby bar, lobby waitresses, beach bar, the lifeguards, beach staff, the WIFI girls, the buffet staff, the ala carte staff, loved the beach buffet staff always happy friendly and making us “special” drinks. I really could go on and on about the amazing staff always happy with a Hola, Good morning, Hello my friends etc..

The buffet, 24 hour snack bar and Ala cartes are simply amazing! There was never a line up longer than 5 mins, the food is delicious, hot and constantly replenished. There was even entertainment in the buffet and all the staff provided top notch service!

The resort itself is stunning, the grounds, the beach, pools and the rooms. Everything is immaculately taken care of and the pride the staff have in their environment shines through.

I highly recommend The Grand Muthu.. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
14  Thank TheRavenRose

Dear Raven R,

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

A special thanks goes out to all the staff at G.M.C.G. for making our stay the week of March 18-25,2018 one that will never be forgotten. It was the idyllic destination for our friends(4 couples) from other parts of Canada to meet and socialize. The service was above expectations, regardless of which part of the resort we attended. From the lobby to the beach, from the pool area to the buffet, everyone was sincere with their Hola, Buenos Dias or Good Morning. There are numerous staff members here including but not limited to Gina,Arlan, Marianne, Yunisledsies, Leslie, Oscar, Victor, Sandra, Humberto, Marin, Arcel, Mayalis and so many others that will always meet you with a welcoming smile. You will, at some time during the course of your stay, cross paths with these people, and you will understand my appreciation.
Our most memorable times at G.M.C.G. were spent participating in the fun activities with three outstanding members of the Entertainment Staff, Ilen, her twin sister Ilian, and their lifelong friend, Yordanis. Their hard work and dedication will keep you wondering were they get their energy! Our new friends continually promoted the culture and friendship of the Cuban people, and they are true ambassadors for the resort. You will meet these fun-loving friends, whether learning how to Salsa, speak a few Spanish words, trying your luck at Bingo, spiking the volleyball at the beach, or lounging pool-side talking about anything and everything under the gorgeous blue skies. Please, when you do meet them, let them know their Canadian family miss them.
This was our 10th trip to Cuba, staying a various resorts across the north shore of Cuba, and confidently say we have found a new destination that we look forward to returning to this fall.
Scott and Sandy (Barrie, ON)
John and Steph (Barrie, ON)
Joe and Sandy (Halifax, NS)
Elton and Christy (Saint John, NB)
Steve and Brenda (Ottawa, ON)

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends