“Shockingly rude and intimidating staff”
Review of Mowie's Bar

Mowie's Bar
Ranked #6 of 92 Restaurants in Gili Air
Price range: US$1 - US$5
Description: The chilled out vibe at Mowie's bungalows has drifted closer to the beach with a modern sunset bar offering ice cold beer and a spectacular sunset view. Healthy menu including the signature Egg's Benedict on a bed of bubble and squeak and 'Happy Salmon'; a bamboo charcoal infused ciabatta with lettuce, smoke salmon, blue cheese and sun dried tomato. The quality Organic ingredients are imported fresh from Bali and Lombok . It's not just the food that will make you return, the staff do too. You're more than customer at Mowie's and it's the people that makes this place so special, which is why Mowie's is often referred to a "home away from home".
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I went for dinner with some friends and ordered some beers and food. After bringing out my friends beer 15 mins later it took them another 15 mins to tell me they had run out of large beers so I ordered a small. After our food came I enquired again about the beer. An hour and a half later the waiter finally brought out the beer at which point we had finished and were ready to leave. I kindly asked if it was ok to cancel as it had been so long and we were finished. This was met with a barrage of abuse where he told me he never wanted to see my face again and ‘f*** you’. Me and my friends were very shocked and felt intimidated. We went up to the bar and quickly paid where again we were met by the hostile waiter who slammed the bill on the table and aggressively stared at me while he walked past. I could maybe understand the attitude if I had ordered a specialised cocktail that took time and would go to waste but with a very busy bar I’m sure it would be seconds before the next person ordered a beer. Unacceptable behaviour!

MowieGiliAir, Owner at Mowie's Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dera smith1189 ,

This level of service is certainly not acceptable and was already addressed. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion.

We had staff meeting and discussed what had happened on that night. We also tried to reach you via personal message but with no answer from you.

From what our staff said its completely different to what you had stated in your review, and they swear that what you are claiming have never happened.

It is impossible to get to the bottom of this now as it is your word against theirs.

It is a huge pity you didn't raise this issue on the night and did not speak to our manager on duty.
Personally, if this happened to me I would not leave the place without talking to manager or more importantly I would not pay my bill and get an owner to come over.

Its nothing new to Us, that here in Gili /Bali employees get abused, shouted ,waved at, clapped and whistled at by visitors from western countries on a daily bases , and still are expected to be given 5 star service.

This is very disappointing situation to hear about regardless and we took all the steps to eliminate it in the future

Regards
Mowie

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Cool beanbags on the beach and cool vibe. Excellent cocktails! Food was awesome. We loved the chicken burger (best I’ve ever had!), the pumpkin gnocchi and the nasi goreng! Could’ve sat there all day!

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Like some of the other reviews say, Mowie’s can get quite busy in the evening - perhaps because it’s one of the few bars/restaurants on the sunset side of Gili Air that doesn’t have obnoxiously loud live music. The food is great and the staff were very friendly. One of them even managed to speak a bit of Finnish with us when he heard where we are from!

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

This review is abit of a mix bag. The atmosphere and view is great at Mowie’s bar. We brought in the sunset on this side of the island on our little bean bag beach chairs and it was spectacular. Unfortunately for us though, the place was crazy busy which is a bit of a downfall. The staff kept coming out with more and more bean bags and the way they are spaced out really inconveniences others already there early to get a good seat for the sunset. A whole bunch of people ended up infront of us, obstructing the view which was pretty annoying.
I’ve read other reviews and I didn’t find the staff rude at all, actually they were very hospitable.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

After reading a recommendation on here for the chicken katsu burger I couldn’t resist but try it. It did not disappoint! The best burger I have had since travelling Thailand and Indonesia. The mayonnaise served with the chips aswell was beautiful! The staff were all so friendly and other people’s meals leaving the kitchen looked delicious also. Wish I’d discovered this place earlier so we could have returned.