“Wonderful accommodations, delicious food”
Review of The Cuan

The Cuan
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Strangford
Price range: US$28 - US$42
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Cuan Licensed Guest Inn is a family owned and run hotel located in the beautiful conservation village of Strangford, on the shores of Strangford Lough. We offer a fantastic food experience, available all day, with a passionate commitment to sourcing local seasonal produce. At the Cuan, we believe in the personal touch that comes with a family run business – you give us our livelihood – we reflect that in the way we look after you Plan a short break with us and explore the breadth of attractions and things to do in Co Down.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My sister and I stayed at The Cuan as part of our "Winterfell" adventure at Castle Ward. We were greeted warmly and checked in to "Catelyn Stark's room" The room was beautiful and very clean. We were made very comfortable. We had booked the Game of Thrones feast and Game of Thrones breakfast for the following morning. Our table was alluring, slates with the Stark dire wolf sigil, lanterns,and butter shaped like dire wolf sigil as well. Our waiter was charming and service was excellent. We dressed in the provided Stark capes and enjoyed an absolutely wonderful dinner of delicious breads, peas, fish cakes, roast potatoes, carrots, and the most delightful honeyed chicken. Finished with lovely blueberries in sweet cream. The Tyrion mead and Hodor beer are must tries as well!
The breakfast, prepared by Peter, could not have been more perfect. Honey and preserves, mint tea, breads, eggs, bacon, and cheese, all so very delicious. We really, really, really enjoyed and cannot wait to return.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Decided to visit The Cuan for lunch, midweek. Found the bar somewhat crowded. A waitress took our order (Thai fishcake and seafood chowder) for which we waited some considerable time. Less so than the table beside us who had arrived and ordered later! The reason given for the delay was that the Thai fishcake took a while to cook. The crust was overdone and the interior dry and rather uninteresting. When asked if all was well, we mentioned the fishcake, which was also accompanied by chewy salad. The owner (?) resplendent in apron appeared and offered a replacement fishcake, which, curiously, would take "only a minute". We declined. When asked about the chowder (a thinnish, creamy fish broth, with some unfamiliar ingredients and a token mussel), I shrugged and gave a reluctant OK. A top-up was offered and declined.
All in all a rather disappointing experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were off work and decided to go for a spin in the car. We ended up in Portaferry and decided to get the ferry across to Strangford.

This was quite cheap at just under £7.00 for the car and two passengers. I had heard so much about the food in The Cuan and wanted to try it.

I did not realise it was such a good spot with a really fantastic tribute set up to The Game of Thrones.

The strange thing was we were just up In Ballygally Castle that morning and they also are associated with it. Both establishments do this fantastically. I never was a fan but would feel perhaps I am missing out on something special after looking at everything in both establishments.

We choose freshly breaded whiting gougons and roast beef for lunch. Both dishes were excellent. Really good. Not expensively priced either. My fish was £11.50 and the beef was £12.50. Portions were generous.

We were served by Dale and Josh. Both were very professional but also friendly.

When I enquired more about the Game of Thrones, the Cuan offer accommodation and dinner packages which I would certainly consider trying. They were very reasonabIe. I was given a leaflet and noted they have all the events on their website.

I was surprised at all the events they have organised from January to December from gin sampling to faulty towers nights to name a few.

There was one thing that I really must add in here. I have visited so many places and wrote so many reviews. If I was giving out awards The Cuan would get my top award for excellent clean ladies facilities. You could eat your dinner in here. I do not often say that about a ladies toliets. They were spotless.

I most certainly will return to The Cuan for an event.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you are a fan of the TV show or book series Game of Thrones and want to enjoy a night of losing yourself in the fantasy, this is the place for you. You are given cloaks and a sword and then are seated in a banquet style setting and served food straight out of the pages of the novels from King Robert's visit to Winterfell. The staff will accommodate any fan's whim and make you feel completely comfortable. It was the complete opposite experience of the Red Wedding.

TheCuanCoDown, Owner at The Cuan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Dorothy M
Thank you for this glowing feedback on our incredibly popular Game of Thrones Banquet - it is very encouraging to see such enthusiasm for this unique immersive Game of Thrones experience, complete it with a night in the same bed as Jon Snow slept in, or Ned Stark!! Then waken up to a bespoke Winterfell Breakfast. Also begin your Doors of Thrones journey here with our BEAUTIFUL Door 1.
The Cuan is Thronie HEAVEN!
We hope to see you again Dorothy M.
Regards
Caroline, Peter & Team

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

My colleague and I arrived yesterday for a two day stay. This is by far the most friendly with excellent customer service. Every member of staff went above and beyond to make our stay memorable.We are looking forward to our 2nd night tonight. Meals were to die for. I will definitely be returning with my husband hopefully for a weeks stay, And on your visit try the Mead.