“Lovely afternoon tea but left with sour taste in my mouth”
Review of Ashford Castle

Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Cong
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I was staying at The Lodge(rated it 5/5) on the grounds of Ashford Castle and we decided I do afternoon tea at The Castle.

The afternoon tea itself was excellent and staff were very good. After we finished our tea we asked our server if we could go to the bar for a drink and they said we could.
We asked the concierge directions to the bar and he said he'd have to ring them to see if they could take us! He rang and informed us it was too busy (Tuesday afternoon at 3:30) so we couldn't go. I informed him our server had told us we could go for a drink and that we were staying at The Lodge but he said that didn't matter. It was raining outside and we weren't offered a lift back to the lodge.

We had also phoned to see if we could move our booking from 13:30 to a later time but were told it was completely booked up. There were spare tables beside us for the duration of our lunch...

I feel after spending almost €200 on afternoon tea and being told it was ok to stay for a drink in the bar by Ashford staff we could at least have been dealt with in a less curt manner.

Overall very disappointed with the service we received at The Castle

2  Thank kswano1
in 16 reviews
"hawk walk"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018

A place of great beauty & so peaceful. Very Luxurious . The rooms are so comfortable. I spent hours enjoying the walks around the wonderful grounds & gardens. We eat dinner in the Dungeon The service was fantastic. The breakfast was an experience not to be missed. The staff are so friendly so very kind. A memorable experience.

1  Thank Rosemary C
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We just stayed at the Castle for four days with my extended family of 14, and we can not say enough about the experience. It's an amazing, unique property (with recent renovations), to be sure. The food, the rooms, the activities...are all 5-star. What makes this place one of the best hotels in the world is the remarkable staff. Every interaction we had with a member of the staff was warm, genuine, and, I guess the best word would be "caring." Every. Single. One. It started when Anna (I believe) checked us in like we were royalty...and continued through to when their excellent (in every way) driver Ray drove us to Galway in his impeccable 7-series BMW to start the journey back home to LA.

When I asked Tristan at the concierge desk if he could get a guitar for me, it was there that evening. He had such a great spirit...if I ran a service industry business, I would work hard to steal him away.

There were so many great little moments (the wolfhounds, the falconry, the smoked manhattan) that made this stay special. But the truly excellent staff of the Castle made this experience magical. You have to experience this place at least once in your life. It's worth it.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We did not stay at the hotel, only visited the grounds for about an hour. We did not pay the admission fee so we did not actually go into or onto the hotel grounds proper. We took a little path behind the pond behind the hotel in the forest and it was beautiful and free. It seemed like others might be fishing or such back there but I assume you need a permit for that. It was a nice walk and beautiful scenery.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 March 2018

This was my second visit to Ashford Castle, and I cannot wait to return.
From the very moment you arrive at the gates entrance, you feel the warmth and genuine welcome from every single member of staff. The sweeping driveway through the grounds to the castle is beautiful, even on a wet miserable morning. Then as you approach the bend in the road, the landscape opens out before you to reveal a truly magical sight, the castle with the river and bridge in front of it, in all its majestic glory.
From the welcoming hot gin punch while we checked in, to the tour of the hotel to our room, I can honestly say we felt like part of a family returning home for a break.
Our room was as expected, stunning. The quality of the furnishings and décor befits a hotel of this standard. Although the castle retains all its original features, the rooms are equipped with every mod con you require. I particularly love the panel beside the bed, with all the controls for lighting etc on it. And there's no problem in the dark trying to find the right switch without lighting up the whole room, because the panel glows once you put your hand near it, and you can identify just what control you need.
The bathroom was spacious, all the toiletries were of the highest standard, towels soft and fluffy, the beds were just about the comfiest I've ever slept in, under floor heating in the bathroom, I could go on and on and still not do the castle justice.
We dined in both the Cottage and the Dungeon restaurants. The food is excellent, with a wide variety of choice , service impeccable and friendly, as expected.
What makes this hotel stand out above all others is the staff. They are worth their weight in gold. I've stayed in numerous hotels throughout the USA, from 3 star to 5 star, and I can honestly say Ashford is the best I've ever been to. With many top ranking hotels there can be an air of stuffiness and snobbery. Not so here. Every guest request is met with a genuine friendly answer, without the insincerity often experienced in hotels. The staff really enjoy their work, and I honestly think some of them don't even view it as work, it's their life.
I haven't even mentioned the beautiful grounds, the cruise on the lake, the stunning Irish Wolfhounds, that you can walk with every morning, the falconry, or just sitting in front of one of the many roaring fires, looking out at the view and relaxing.
Finally I felt the emails before we travelled, enquiring if we had any special requests, was very personal. And we also received an email when we left enquiring if everything had been to our satisfaction.
Congratulations Ashford on yet another wonderful experience. You should all be very proud.
I'm on my way back!!!!