“Rude and arrogant instructor !!”

Savedra Dive Center
Ranked #2 of 21 Tours in Moalboal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Savedra Dive Center, winner of the CGP Best Nature Experience 2012 award, is in the center of Panagsama beach.Just a few meters from the shoreline and our house reef and minutes away by boat to the best dive sites in the area.Savedra is Moalboals only PADI 5 star Instructor Development center and PADI Tec Rec training center.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Saint laurent D'aigouze
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Rude and arrogant instructor !!”
Reviewed March 21, 2017 via mobile

To start off, i want to point out that I have never written a bad review about any place I've been to but this was a particularly bad customer experience.

So I planned to do my advanced course with Savedra last week and had exchanged emails with one of their staff, up to this point I had no problem whatsoever.

The day I was supposed to be starting my course I showed up at 9am as requested and was greeted by the person that was going to oversee my advanced course over the next two days, I was greeted by a cold arrogant Turkish guy, cant remember his name, it started with and "F".

Anyways i had not dived in a while so whilst going through some information to get me back up to scratch, whilst trying to exchange small talk with the instructor, he was the coldest most arrogant person I have met along my travels, the "I am better than you" type.

At this stage I was thinking i'm going to be stuck with this guy for two days over 5 dives and was not looking forward to it at all.

I was finally saved by the medical form, I have a slight back problem, which would require me to see a doctor, but the doctor could not take me in until 3pm which meant I could not dive that day, so I decided that I would switch schools, do my doctors appointment that day through another school and start my dives the next day, even when he told me that I could not dive that day he had a smirk on his face as if he was happy about the whole situation.

I told them I would not have enough time to do my course if I could not dive that day just so I could get out of there asap.

I did randomly meet another dive instructor from the dive shop, a blond english girl and she seemed very friendly, so they are probably not a bad place to dive but if you are going i'd advise you to ask for one of the other diver instructors, it might save you a few days of unpleasantness.

Visited March 2017
1 Thank Brendan B
Lee B, General Manager at Savedra Dive Center, responded to this review, April 23, 2017
Hi Brendan

it's worth considering that dive instructors work on commission, it's not in their interests to turn people away, when to do turn people down due to medical problems it demonstrates a lot of responsibility from them. Customers coming to us for dive courses have a great deal of choice in terms of where and who to train with, if our instructors are not charming, they will not have an income.

Fortunately I overheard this entire conversation, it seemed to me that you were not so happy to find out that you had to visit a doctor before diving, this required Firas (the instructor in question) to stand his ground, I applaud him for that, to do otherwise would put you and the dive center in jeopardy.

It's also worth noting that you left here, went directly to another dive center (Blue Abyss) and lied to the Instructor (Sam Cooper), you did not mention your back problem at all, small town!

All considered I would say this paints Firas in a positive light, not so for yourself, a pity that you choose to use TripAdvisor as a form of revenge.

For the benefit of others reading this, dive courses require a medical questionnaire to be completed, if those questions indicate a condition that may not be compatible with Scuba Diving you will need to visit a doctor. We can send these forms ahead, this can help you plan your trip a little better and avoid unfortunate surprises.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Open water + Advance”
Reviewed March 16, 2017 via mobile

It Was an awesome center for doing our scuba diving .. Thanks you François Burg to be our instructor !
Great experience and best team EVER !
Love all Michel ❤

Visited March 2017
Hi Megane

Thanks for your review, and the visit, it wass great to have you both here for the week

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Really nice school and best instructor Keira!”
Reviewed March 1, 2017 via mobile

I just finished my advanced open water course at Savedra and can definitely recommend it! It is a good school with good equipment and really nice and helpful staff. My instructor was Keira and I definitely recommend to take a course with her! She is a very good diver and even more important, she is a very good teacher. I really feel that I improved my dive skills and am definitely more confident to go on my next dive. Besides that, she is young and energetic, and we laughed a lot! Those two days were an absolute pleasure!

Visited February 2017
Hi Noortje

Thank you for your visit, and for the nice review, both very much appreciated

Cebu City Philippines
5 attraction reviews
“good place”
Reviewed February 27, 2017

Good Dive Center , I like Beth the Dive Master but they are all good . Best Feature of the shop is that there are 4 or 5 dives per day and the location is described on the white board easily seen from the outside , hotel across the street associated with the dive shop is near enough to have a change of clothes and perhaps a nap between dives

Visited January 2017
Hi Rivers

thanks very much for taking the time to dive with us, and for leaving your review here

“Instructor Development Course”
Reviewed February 22, 2017

If you are looking for the perfect place to complete your IDC it's here! Every staff member is so helpful and provided me with continual support throughout the course. There were 3 of us in the group making it a comfortable size for the teaching, practice, and social side to the IDC, also allowing us to get to know our instructors well and enabling them to recognise and improve our weaknesses. All of this together made us feel comfortable and relaxed during the Instructor Examination.
As a dive shop in general, it has an incredibly friendly atmosphere, everybody is willing to help and take time to answer any questions you have.
A big thank you to Lee, Phil, Martin and Firas for making the three weeks spent studying here such an amazing experience!

Visited February 2017
Hi Francois

I'm a little late leaving this reply, but it was an absolute pleasure training with you, and I am very happy you and Keira were able to stay and work with us for a while, you're both welcome back anytime.