“Beautiful traditional beach bungalows right on the water ”
Review of Sampaguita Resort

Sampaguita Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Moalboal
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful traditional beach bungalows right on the water ”
Reviewed March 31, 2017 via mobile

We booked a 2 night stay at Sampaguita as our base for exploring Moalboal and also to do the Canyoneering trip to Kawasan falls which is roughly 30 mins drive by tricycle from the resort. The resort is about 7-8 mins from the centre of Moalboal via a tricycle ride down a rough little road. As far as cost and value for money goes Sampaguita is probably on the more expensive side compared to other hotels you can find in Moalboal however it is a beautiful little resort with maybe a couple of dozen traditional beach bungalows right on the ocean and the rooms are charming and clean and a decent size with good A/C.
All meals are included in the price of accommodation for Sampaguita which includes afternoon tea, the food was good but not great in my opinion, the WiFi never worked during our stay even though they advertise that they have it. Sampaguita is actually a dive resort with an in house dive centre Gangga divers I believe they are called and being located right next to the ocean with a pretty little coral reef right there which was perfect for snorkeling in the afternoon however my biggest concern about the resort stemmed from my experience with the in house dive centre I have to question the training and professionalism of the DM I had on my dive Raymund who after giving a abrupt dive briefing didn't appoint a dive buddy to me and in his attempt to please the larger group that were on the dive with us took me to depths well below my level of training and experience 25 metres ( my dive computer was reading 30) I am only an open water diver and when I signaled to the DM to alert him that I was down to 50 bar he signaled back to me to just go back to the boat by myself and made no mention of a safety stop or even beginning to ascend back to the surface. I slowly took myself back to the top and eventually made my way to the boat where I waited another 12-15 mins for the rest of the group to resurface.
Despite the fact that the safety standards were not upheld to a proper standard the dive location itself was amazing and I would stay at Sampaguita again however I am not sure if I would dive with them again.

Stayed March 2017, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed March 5, 2017 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights and despite the initial rainy weather, we enjoyed every second of it. The location is very good, diving run by locals - authentic fishing boats - nice atmosphere and professional. Food was perfect: healthy, tasty, just enough. Our room was simple with nice touches such as a yoga mat. Amazing corals, plenty of turtles and interesting marine life. Favourite dive: Pescador, anti-clock wise.

Stayed February 2017, traveled as a couple
Bayeux, France
Reviewed February 24, 2017 via mobile

1 week of holidays in Sampaguita for diving. Hotel is vers good with a very efficient staff. Diving club is very well organised and diving spots close to the cost. Dive Master and boatmen very professionnal. I strongly recommand Samoa guitare hôtel

Stayed February 2017, traveled as a couple
Gaspare D, General Manager at Sampaguita Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2017
Dear ftu01,

We read with pleasure your comments after your holiday in Sampaguita, and wish to say thanks on behalf of the Management and Staff. We work hard for fulfilling the promise of a safe, happy and refreshing holiday. We are delighted that the promise has been maintained but we also shall work for improving what is already good.
We wish you many satisfying holidays and hoping to be able to welcome you back,
Warmest Regards
Gaspare and the Sampaguita Team
Reviewed January 24, 2017 via mobile

We lived on the resort next door but we're unhappy with the food there so we decided to go ower to Sampaguita to see if they were any better.

And I am happy to inform that buffet that was served was well worth the walk over.

Fresh food and friendly staff in an very cosy environment deserves a big thumbs up.

Stayed January 2017, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrik L
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights in transit to Kawasan Falls & Oslob as we heard Moalboal was a beautiful place, and indeed it is! The resort was exactly like the pictures on the website and on tripadvisor so we couldn't resist not to book. Despite the resort being quite secluded and far from the main town, the view from the lodge to the sea was maginificent. The staff are lovely and so helpful, they even helped us (English- speaking only) tourists on connecting us with private drivers to get us to Badian (Kawasan falls) and Oslob for whale shark swimming. Super thankful!

But this isn't the reason why i'm writing this review. The main reason is because i am truly and utterly grateful for one specific reason. On the early morning of checkout (approx. 5am) to go to Oslob, I had forgotten my tablet/laptop in the safe of our resort room. My clumsy and forgetful self did not realise until the day after check out. I had called the resort immediately once i got to Cebu airport on my way to Manila, and they had found my laptop and kept it in a safe place and even kindly mailed it to me to Manila!!! This item was so important to me and I am so thankful for such honesty of the housekeeping staff and the manager of Sampaguita resort!!! I am so happy and grateful that i even offered to pay more for the shipping and courier costs to Manila but the manager didn't accept. She was so kind and great with communication, texting and calling back and forth. The item was packaged so safely and securely due to the typhoon that was about ti hit Philippines too! Their high quality service with honesty, integrity and support has truly and will continue to go a long way. I am back in my home country of Australia, and i only wish them a prosperous, successful new year because they all deserve it :) THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I will never forget this experience. From a super, grateful Australian :D

• Stayed December 2016, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rae_calugay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moalboal
6.6 km away
1.6 km away
Quo Vadis Dive Resort
Quo Vadis Dive Resort
#1 of 22 in Moalboal

Been to Sampaguita Resort? Share your experiences!