Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
The Bliss Resort(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsburger custom madespa towerhavana moonnuevo vallartaplunge poolgrand blissriviera mayaresidence clubburger restaurantbedroom villamayan pooltwice daily maid servicesquare feetfull kitchencirque de soleilgong restaurantbluefish
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Great resort to spend vacation, time off, with the family. Staff were all very very courteous and pay attention to details. Rooms at the Grand Luxxe Jungle were new and top notch finishing. Restaurants at the property were great too. You have choices from French, Asian, Italian, Spanish, etc.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband, two children (ages 14 & 16) and I traded in our Marriott timeshare week to stay at the Grande Luxxe from 3/16 to 3/24. We stayed in the jungle rooms, which are the furthest from the pools and the beach. I have very mixed feelings about our stay. I really think that the more you travel and the more places you stay, the picker you become which is probably the reason why I did not really like the idea of feeling "trapped" as we all did at this resort. To make it easier, I listed below; THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

THE GOOD: The rooms are truly beautiful and are beautifully decorated; however I hated the fact that they give you dorm sized refrigerators. They were useless and fit nothing, even though we had 4 of them in our two rooms. They were a pain in the neck to open and every time I did, they entire refrigerator would move. I have NEVER been to a timeshare resort that used mini refrigerators. After all, isn't the purpose of owning a timeshare so that you can store items in your room and cook if you wanted to? I honestly feel Vidanta does this on purpose. Think about it. The less you can store, the less you buy and the more you pay Vidanta when you purchase at their stores and restaurants. It was just extremely irritating.

The other good part of the resort is the staff. Most of them were extremely nice and always willing to help. They always had a smile on their face and everyone of them greeted you as you walked by.

We also really enjoyed the Beach Club. It was the perfect place to go when your children are too old to want to be entertained by pool games (as they have in the main pool) and you really just want some peace and quiet to relax.

THE BAD: As I mentioned above, I hated having to take a tram everywhere I wanted to go. I read a previous review on Trip Advisor that stated it was like Disneyland at Rivera Maya. Initially I thought this might of been an exaggeration but it isn't. It did feel exactly like that. Again, this really depends what you are looking for. Some people might view taking a tram everywhere as being catered to. I felt like I was trapped. I have never stayed at a resort where I couldn't walk anywhere (the few times we tried to walk, we got so lost because of the lack of signs that we just stopped trying). I travel for a living and normally I am pretty good with directions, when there are directions to follow. I know people say in previous reviews that you get a feel for where everything is after awhile, but we stayed here for 9 nights and we never got a "feel". Nothing is marked properly. Yes, there are signs but none of them tell you where the direction to the Grande Luxxe jungle. These rooms have been built for over a year so there is absolutely no excuse for this.

As I mentioned above, the other issue was trying to get your rental car. I can't imagine being at a resort and not being able to rent a car but to get your car and then to return it after a long day was an absolute nightmare. Not only did the resort actually charge you to park your car, but you had to wait to check it in and then wait to take (yet another) tram back to your room after the car was parked. UUGGHH!!! After awhile this became so annoying. There was so much time spent waiting for these trams that it just did not make the vacation enjoyable.

THE UGLY: We took our phones off the hook (if anyone important wanted to reach us they had our cell numbers) so we were not bothered by timeshare people but the ugliest part of this resort was the beach. Again, I had previously read that the beach was not accessible due to the amount of rocks, but what were not expecting was the disgusting amount of seaweed that washed up that was never cleaned. I did see several employees cleaning up the seaweed (shoveling it by hand, you felt sorry for them) down by the Grande Luxxe Residence beach, but not by the main beach or the beach by the Beach Club. I know that the resort can not control the seaweed, but they should be able to keep up with cleaning it off the beach. It was just out of control. There was one day when we were able to walk down the beach (about a 10 minute walk ) to a spot that was seaweed free and had no shells. It was heaven. We had taken several side trips to swim in Akhumal, Tulum and Xel-Ha but the beaches there were not as nice as the beach we walked to. If I had known that the beach was so bad, I would never have chosen this resort. After all, I could have flown to a resort much closer to home if all I wanted to do was swim in the pools all day long.

I know most of my review was negative but in all honesty, I really was not impressed with this resort. I think that that Vidanta must have purchased this property at a steal because of how bad the beaches are so instead they pumped all of their money into the rooms and the pools to make up for it. Again, it really depends on the type of resort you are looking to stay at. If waiting for trams to take you everywhere is your thing, and you really don't care about a beautiful beach with water you can swim in, then this is the resort for you. On the other hand, if you want the freedom to leave the resort when you want to travel and do other things, I would definitely find another resort.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the jungle rooms. They are the farthest from everything.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank allenamarilyn
Vidanta V, Manager at Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear allenamarilyn :
Thank you for providing your detailed comments about your vacation at Grand Luxxe. We are pleased to learn our staff’s service was efficient. They work tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most enjoyable experience ever. We are also happy that you liked your room and the decoration.

Nonetheless, we are sorry to learn that not all your expectations were met. This will be addressed by the appropriate areas as we always work hard to have a clear communication with our honored guests and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation.
Your feedback is always welcomed.

Warm regards,

Grand Luxxe at Vidanta Riviera Maya Management

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have been owners of various Mayan resorts for close to ten years. This was a disappointing stay from a service standpoint. We flew into Cancun, checked in with the airport shuttle company and waited for 90 minutes for a shuttle. With none in site, we decided to take a taxi. Upon arriving at the resort from delayed travel and transportation, I came across the most aggressive and lying sales representative yet, who would not take no for an answer. We were tired and my wife was not feeling well so I gave him $20 and made an appointment. We checked into our room and it took us one hour to (transfer) shuttles to the restaurant. Latter in the week we did book (and enjoy) and nice dinner and show at Cirque du Soleil. After we booked we found a 10% discount coupon form the resort which they would not honor.

The resort and facilities are very nice. The service leaves a lot to be desired. The resort would not help with the transportation to the resort, I don’t think it is reasonable to wait > 90 minutes. I canceled our “owner’s update” but the resort would not give me my $20 back. The resort would not honor the discount coupon to Cirque du Soleil even though I got the coupon in the Grand Luxxe lobby.

Most disappointing is that when I got home, I emailed the general manager, Mr. Elias Hernandez, and I never got an acknowledgment. Unsure of the email address, I mailed a copy of my letter along with receipts and coupon and still have not gotten a response. This is not the type of service I expect, especially with the level of resort that they claim to be.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family
6  Thank Mngabe

Dear Mngabe :
We are very pleased to learn you have been faithful owners of our brands and you continue to enjoy our tropical paradise.

However, we have saddened that your stay was not as you were expecting. Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. With that in mind, your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas. Comments like yours enable our continued pursuit of improvement for perfection on our daily performance.

In the meantime, if you have anything else to add to your report or if you would like to continue this dialogue directly through our Customer Care Centre, we kindly request that you reach out to our Customer Care Center at 1-800-292-9446 or at
customerservice@grandluxxe.com and reference this message.

Grand Luxxe at Vidanta Riviera Maya Management.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Amazing resort! We stayed at Grand Luxxe Grand for a week with 7 guests. We had a 3-bedroom with a pool. The kids loved receiving chocolate each night. The food was amazing. The drinks were very good- the staff was very gracious and attentive.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was my second time to this location. First time I traded into Grand Bliss and this trip I traded into Grand Luxxe Tower 2. Rooms are fabulous and resort is huge . They have shuttles to take you around. They were very slow this year so we walked most of the time. I booked my trade with Interval. I was very upset that resort wouldnt let us us Luxx pools or eat at Burger restaurant. They stated this was a new policy. That is fine but they never let interval know or anyone with a reservation. Yes, there are many other pools to go to but all very far away. If we attended the timeshare meeting they would allow us to use the Luxxe pool. Sounds like a real marketing plan. Food is fine, nothing great nothing bad. Typical resort prices but not too high. Beach is not swimmable at all. Great resort if looking for a relaxing trip. The staff is fabulous and make the resort special.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends