Lilac Lodge(Winterton)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$45
US$102
  • Pool
Ardmore Guest Farm(Winterton)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$101
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
The Swallow's Nest Bed & Breakfast(Winterton)(Great Value!)
US$46
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$51/night.

Winterton Country Lodge at Rose Cottage(Winterton)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$55
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Drakensview Self Catering(Winterton)(Great Value!)
US$64
US$203
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
1,057 results
All reviewswellness centrelunch and dinnersconesmorning and afternoon teaanimal farmmountain facing roombuffet styledrakensberg mountainsdeluxe roomhorse ridingdining roomself cateringpublic areasguided walkexcellent foodunderfloor heatingstunning views
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I stayed for two days at the Champagner Castle and there is nothing to complain. Except the Hadedas which are quite noisy. But that's of course no complaint for the hotel. Food is plenty and quality is very good. Surrounding as expected and lots of activities to choose. I´ll be back...

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are well worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled solo
Georges_Romarin, General Manager at Champagne Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, Thomas

Being located in a World Heritage Site does mean we have a wide variety of wild animals and birds. Of course, as you discovered, some of them are noisier than others.

I'm glad you had a great stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to this part of the Drakensberg

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Booking for the stay was efficient and quick. Upon arriving in the rainy weather, found it to be an absolute challenge for the distance of where the vehicle was parked to getting to the family room allocated to us in the rain and in the dark. Room was comfortable with both a tub and shower facilities. I honestly think that there should be some sort of activities to do with kids when there is rain. There should be a kids pool as well as I only saw 1 pool. The food was ok in that I feel for the money paid, there definitely could be a much more wider range of food to choose from. I have been to a previous resort within the vicinity & they offered a discount to stay on further, which I accepted and enjoyed more time there. Champagnes does not offer any discounts on extended stays. I had asked for a change of pillows, however this did not happen. The location is superb & the views of the mountain was excellent. Found it rather difficult to move with kids in the night from the room to the eating place. Overall my family & I had an average stay & hope that should we visit the resort again, there could be some changes that would make us want to come back. Right now we feel that the resort caters for more of the elderly as compared to a fully fledged family resort. The staff in the dining room was very nice & helped us along with our kids.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, amithharripersadh

I'm sorry that you arrived at night during a rainfall. I'm sure after a long drive it wasn't easy to have to then negotiate with the dark and the water. And of course having children must have made it even more difficult.

During school holidays we do have a full time team dedicated to the children, with activities throughout the day and into the evening. In between school holidays we don't have enough smaller children staying at the hotel.

Thank you for your feedback. We always welcome constructive ideas and suggestions from our guests.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We had the most amazing three nite stay over the Easter Weekend 2018. The staff were wonderful, food was great, views spectacular and loads to do. We had the privilege of staying in the Suites, which they don't generally let out to families with kids, and rightly so, because it so so beautifully furnished with such attention to detail and luxury,because our kids were older, they indulged us, kids and husband were in awe when we opened the door to this beautiful suite. It was a special long weekend, thank you to Zama, Terry, Damiani and everyone else who gave us such a warm welcome and incredible visit!

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, Darlin

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful stay with us at Champagne Castle Hotel. The Suites are a treat, with their large size, and private veranda/deck.

We are very fortunate to be located so close to the mountain and inside of this World Heritage Site. As you point out, the views and spectacularly beautiful.

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to this part of the Drakensberg.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

As a paying customer and in this millennium I cannot believe that I am dictated too that I have to wear long pants to dinner and I have to sit at a table allocated to me.

Another issue I have is that I cannot change the channel on the TV in common area, without asking the Manager on duty - what is this a kindergarden?

I personally will not be back.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Georges_Romarin, General Manager at Champagne Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, Garth

We do appreciate your views, and welcome your feedback. Our hotel does have a little 'Old School' that the vast majority of our guests appreciate. Of course we understand that not everyone will agree. We do mention on every room page on our website that there is a fairly relaxed dress code at dinner (men must wear long pants and closed shoes).

As for table allocation, this is simply a pragmatic approach of a hotel in a World Heritage Site that is unable to expand the size of it's buildings. Our dinning room cannot grow, and we must therefore accommodate all our guests in the space we have. This means we have to allocate tables to guests. Again, most of our guests are happy with that, and we appreciate that it doesn't work for everyone.

I'm sorry that you will not return. Thank you for staying with us. And should you ever change your mind, we look forward to welcoming you back to this part of the Drakensberg.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The deluxe mountain facing rooms are an absolute delight - spacious, well decorated with jaw dropping views. We just cannot understand how the chefs can constantly prepare food of such a high quality year in and year out ! This is absolutely the best gem in the Drakensberg !

Room Tip: Deluxe mountain rooms or deluxe garden rooms for exceptional views
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple