“Stunning boutique dive, fine dine and spa”
Review of Atmosphere Resort

Atmosphere Resort
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Singapore, Singapore
“Stunning boutique dive, fine dine and spa”
Reviewed May 20, 2017

I just returned from 6 days at Atmosphere. It is a gorgeous boutique hotel with modern rooms that could have been transported straight from Miami - South Beach. The diving in Dumaguete is fantastic - a mix of macro, reef, and muck diving - so much variety. I didn't think I could find somewhere with proper cocktails, great diving and fine dining in the Philippines .. but all is here. The chocolate and peanut butter tart has to be the best dessert I have ever eaten. The establishment staff are like a family, and are always present to ask you about your day. I also had a fabulous massage .. The resort is suitable for couples, families, divers and non-divers. The critter diving is fantastic .. never seen so many frog fish nor ornate ghost pipe fish.

Room Tip: All are beautiful
  • Stayed May 2017, traveled solo
AtmosphereManager, Manager at Atmosphere Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2017
Dear Scuba bunnie,
We loved that you chose to visit us here in our little lap of luxury and that we were able to offer you everything you could have wished for on your vacation. You were here at our favorite time of year, when all the small critters are laying eggs or giving birth and our reefs are teeming with even more life than usual. Perhaps you might like to come back in October for Octopus season? Hope to see you soon again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2017

We have dived all over SE Asia. Wakatobi (5 times), Lembeh, Bali, Raja Ampat. I would put this resort above most and among the best in all categories. In fact, we were surprised and delighted at all turns.

First of all, the diving. We are both serious photographers and were very pleased. It is muck diving, with clarity and absence of human debris both much better than Lembeh. The biggest draw is the juvenile frogfish, white, yellow, red, orange, hairy, painted, warty, etc - they are literally everywhere you look. We shot photos and videos until they became so mundane that we started looking for other stuff.

Regarding other stuff, we were amazed by the number of elegant ghost pipefish. Again, nearly every site had them. Add to that candy crabs, crinoid squat lobsters, hairy squat lobsters, nudis - none of it new for us, but all much more prolific than anywhere we have been before.

And for a photographer, most of this stuff is relatively shallow, on sloping sandy or muddy bottom where you can find a place rest on your knees without damaging something or getting stung. Not like hovering off a wall in a raging current to shoot a candy crab like I am so accustomed to.

Plus - the best camera room I have ever experienced. Large individual work areas, each with its own close-up fluorescent lighting, plenty of 220 and 110 outlets, adequate space storage - shelves, bins, place for travel case, and air hose. Plus really good A/C.

Next the staff - we had outstanding guides (Saimon, Adelpha) who were as good or better than anyone we have had anywhere else. The boat staff was solid as well. The service staff in the resort is responsive and sweet and the management attentive. All first rate.

Then the food - three separate and always available menus with a big variety of Western, Filipino, and health conscious food. A first rate spa too, where a 90 minute massage cost maybe $60.

Accommodations - very good and comfortable, with good A/C in the bedrooms.

The issues were relatively few. First, this is a little more physical diving than some resorts. Important note - the beach here has round rocks to walk over when going to the boat or a shore dive. If you have ever stumbled around trying to enter at the USAT Liberty wreck in Tulamben, Bali wearing soft sole booties or barefoot you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Bring hard soled booties or rock boots!

Second, getting in and out of the boats is a tad more physical than some places due to the usual surf and boat/ladder design. Very doable, but not as forgiving as some places (like Wakatobi for example).

My wife's only complaint for the whole trip was that while there was good shampoo and body wash provided in the room, there was not conditioner and she didn't bring her own.

At any rate, we were very very pleased with the experience and will return the next frogfish season, maybe in the fall for octopus season!

• Stayed May 2017, traveled with family
1 Thank elmer d
Hi Elmer,
We’re ecstatic that you decided to visit us here at Atmosphere. We loved hosting such keen divers and enjoyed introducing you to our world class macro diving. Thank you for the praise of our camera room - we’re pleased to hear it was accommodating for you and even more so that you were looked after well by our dive and boat crew. We have passed on your comments to our team. Besides the diving it’s good to hear that you were able to make some time to relax in our spa and enjoy our extensive menus in the restaurant. We very much hope to see you around again next year for more Frogfish-spotting!
Singapore
Reviewed May 14, 2017 via mobile

I have dived with Atmosphere 3 times now as this resort holds many attractions for me. Amongst them the diving, the dive team, the spa and the grounds really standout for me.

Before I came to Atmosphere, muck diving was something I enjoyed but not necessarily passionate about. But there was no going back after the dive team got their hands on me and showed me a completely different world full of wonderful little critters that hooked me. Moreover, I was thoroughly impressed by the professionalism, dedication and passion that the DM's showed to me and the other guests. I have probably dived with most of the DM's and probably every site that Atmosphere has to offer and each one went without a hitch which is testament to the stewardship of Marco Leo and his management of what is probably one of the best dive teams I have had the pleasure of diving with.

The spa is also a place I must mention as I loved it here and I had treatments at every visit. I am a regular spa user and was pleasantly surprised to see Atmosphere offer a wide range of treatments that I wish I had more time to explore. They even do threading here which I was very impressed to see. I only had massages so far which were simply divine and if they were anything to go by I am sure the other treatments would be wonderful too. The treatments are all held in individual sala's with billowing white curtains and comfortable, clean treatment beds, private outdoor showers and amenities. I will be back for sure and will seek the spa manager, Rea's, advice on what treatments I should try in my next visit.

I think if you stay in a resort of over a week, you need variety when it comes to food. Atmosphere's breakfast, lunch and dinner all offer extensive choices in a lovely setting overlooking the sea and the food was so delicious that I had to work off the extra pounds when I got home! The menus offered not just the regular items, but also local cuisine and healthy options. I assure you the healthy choices were delicious and in generous portions. The added bonus is that you can also eat at the cosy bar where I spent most of my time! Perhaps the only criticism I have is that the staff should market the Thursday cocktail evening more actively as it is wonderful chance to meet management and speak to them about how to maximise you stay at Atmosphere. Saying that, the service at the restaurant and bar were always friendly and efficient.

To complete my review, I just want to say that the accommodation and grounds are lovely. The rooms are all well spaced apart to ensure privacy. I stayed in both the normal deluxe room and the 1 bedroom apartment and I think they are well appointed, clean, spacious and very comfortable.

Thank you Atmosphere and to your amazing staff for making my holidays memorable.

Stayed March 2017, traveled solo
Thanks so much Gizzy for your extensive and brilliant review of Atmosphere! We’re delighted that you chose to spend your holiday with us and even more so that you enjoyed it so much. We will pass on your praise to our dive team, F&B team and the management – in particular our dive center manager marc oleo - and will take your comment about making the Thursday night cocktails more well-known on board. We look forward to seeing you here again for more diving and time in the spa!
Reviewed May 10, 2017

the resort itself is quite nice, but is an several times more expensive than surrounding locations. furthermore even after you pay the expensive room rate, everything else they offer including day trips to Apo island, dinner, etc.. is also several fold more expensive. For that time of $$, I was expecting a bit more - we still had bugs in the room (from mosquitos to a huge 3in spider) and wifi outages. Also, the location is pretty remote from walking anywhere...

• Stayed May 2017, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roman A S
Dear Roman,
Thank you for your review. As a luxury resort, our rates will always be higher than resorts that are mid-range in terms of quality and service. We are sorry to hear that you felt your experience with us was expensive. We pride ourselves on making our resort as comfortable as possible with attentive service, high quality surroundings and we always try to go above and beyond for our guests to give them the best holiday. Our location is relatively remote and we see this as a positive, making it a nice getaway from the buzz of daily life but this does mean that we live among the tropical bugs and there will be times when they can get into rooms without us noticing. We hope that other than this your stay was enjoyable and you would consider joining us again in the future.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 6, 2017

We stayed four nights in a family room with 3 young children. The hotel is in a beautiful garden on the sea with 2 swimming pools. The set-up makes the hotel ground very quiet and intimate. The beach is dark sand with some rocks (common in this area) so you tend to stay more near the pools. A lots to do with a great snorkelling sanctuary at a short swiming distance from the resort, diving or snorkelling in Apo island (30 min boat away) and many other diving options. Large dive centre in the resort. The spa is very beautiful and staff skillfull. The manager and staff are very helpful which makes life very convenient for parents with young kids (baby sitting services, activities for kids in the afternoon, snorkelling gear for young children is available). Pick-up and drop-off from the airport is well organised and was provided for free. The food is probably not the highlight of the trip. The buffet breakfast is a bit average, the rest of the meals are quite decent but lack a bit of sophistication and originality. Pretty extensive wine list, reasonably priced for the region. The bottles are well stored in a quality cellar and served at the right temperature. Overall, we strongly recommend this place and had a fantastic stay!

Stayed May 2017
Dear fredetbrune,
Thank you for your review of our slither of paradise! We loved to hear the kids were looked after well and enjoyed the extensive activities. We're pleased that you were able to spend time in the spa and the pools and we will pass on your kind comments to the team. We pride ourselves on our extensive menu in our restaurant to cater to people from all walks of life and different ages so we're sorry to hear that it wasn’t your favorite, however we appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear you availed of our wine cellar! We hope you choose to come back and see us in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
4.4 km away
1.1 km away
Sea Dream Resorts
Sea Dream Resorts
#6 of 16 in Dauin

Been to Atmosphere Resort? Share your experiences!