Atmosphere Resorts & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort(Dauin)
Thalatta Resort(Zamboanguita)
Acqua Dive(Zamboanguita)
View Hotel
All reviewsapo islandtree housesoup kitchenkids clubinfinity poolthe penthouseyoga classeswhale sharksoutdoor showerhealthy menuprivate dinnerspa managermarine biologistrelaxing holidaymuck divingdive centrenon divers
Reviewed April 10, 2016 via mobile

Just finished a great week at this place for family vacation. We were looking for a place where the parents could hang out and the kids could dive in a great setting with professional people. I think we found it here among the well-manicured resort grounds.

However, there is plenty to keep you busy here if you are not a diver with excursions for snorkeling (Apo, whale sharks on Cebu), pool, spa, or just hanging out and enjoying the huge menu(s) with ingredients sourced locally.

Here is the low-down to help you see if this is a place for you:

Thinking you should finally do your dive certification at the well-equipped, professional dive center at the hotel? Sure why not but you can also just sit by the pools or enjoy a huge breakfast selection while you watch the others slog their way to the beach to catch one of the resort boats to the great macro dive sites along the coast or a 20-min boat ride across to Apo Island for world-class corals and sea turtles. The choice is up to you.

Looking for a place with a small fitness room with treadmill to finally tone your "dad-bod" during holiday? Forget it - there isn't one (yet) so hit the rocky, black sand beach for a walk and get tempted to snorkel on the coral reefs just off of the beach in front of the hotel. Or check out the great spa for a massage or get up early to try some yoga to show just how really inflexible you are.

Looking for a place with crap wi-fi speed to avoid downloading the 40Mb Powerpoint your boss sent you the day you landed to proofread for him? Great, this is the place: hit the daily happy hour instead with specials that change everyday and relax around the pool bar with friendly staff and service and get to know the people around you. You are on vacation - take part in it.

But seriously thanks to all the staff for great food and service and especially to the dive team for a great experience for our kids. Special thanks to Adam for advice on dive computers and telling us about the resort, Marco for certifying our daughter for Nitrox, and Matt and Lor for the great dive guiding and making the kids confortable in the water all week long. The parents had fun too and we'll be back.

Stayed: April 2016, traveled with family
AtmosphereManager, Manager at Atmosphere Resorts & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2016

Thanks Oilguy34 for giving a great lowdown on Atmosphere Resorts! I think you captured us quite well. We apologise that our wifi is not great, through no fault of our own except the area we are is remote and we are unable to get the highspeed we are looking for. But just like you said this can also be a great excuse to sit back, chill and connect with the people around you instead! We are pleased you took advantage of the diving and other excursions we have to offer. There really is plenty to do for the non-divers as well! We hope you will come and visit us again in the future and perhaps you might like to book some circuit training or TRX sessions with our in house trainer, Joel. We look forward to it!

Reviewed April 7, 2016

Resort van was not around when I arrived at the airport. I called Raquel regarding my concern . All vehicles in the parking area had already left leaving me behind under the blazing sun. Waited for 20 minutes under the shade of the tree until my transfer arrived. Travel time to the resort is about 40 minutes. There were different versions for the delayed transfer. Driver said he had a flat tire while resort front office staff said they had picked up another guest. I dont know who is telling the truth.
Welcome drinks were served & check in was fast by Jen. Villa 13 was ready before the check in time. It has a spacious room with a large king sized bed. Mangoes were provided on the fruit platter. There is no complimentary resort rubber slippers. Fortunately I brought my own slippers with me. The safety deposit box is complicated to use. It has a relaxing outdoor shower with strong water pressure and heater.
There are 2 pools in this diving resort. The main pool with depth of 9 feet & the dipping pool which is also child friendly. One good thing here is the introduction of scuba in pool aside from the complimentary Indian head massage. Breakfast is plated with choices of Filipino & American. There is a buffet spread with pastries, salad & fresh fruits like mangoes, oranges & apples. Special mention to restaurant waiters Joel & Felix for assisting me toasting my bread that it will not be overcooked. Toaster has a broken conveyor that doesn't work. Complimentary cocktails are served at the bar every 6 to 7 pm.
Housekeeping/utility staff always greeted me but front office staff doesn't greet. I have to greet them first & will just stare at you. Mr Adam, the resort manager, is very friendly. He introduced himself & asked me that if I need assistance during my stay. Just feel free to call him.

Stayed: March 2016

Thank you Jun L for your review of our resort. We hope you enjoyed your stay despite some of the misgivings you encountered. We’re very sorry about the delayed airport transfer, we have spoken to Raquel and drivers teams to find out what happened; Unfortunately guests from another resort decided they could use our transfer services despite it being your name on the sign and it wasn’t until 10 minutes down the road that it came to the attention of our driver that it was not you in the van. I think due to language barriers it was explained to you that he had a flat tyre.

On a lighter note we're happy that you enjoyed the introduction to Scuba and the Indian head massage. We hope that you will choose Atmosphere Resorts in the future, we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed April 5, 2016

We are a family of 2 adults, 3 kids aged from 11 - 4, 1 adult diver and 1 adult with no interest in diving. We stayed in a 2 bed penthouse which was a great space for the family. Only slight negative should you have much smaller kids is that the 2 bed penthouses are upstairs (obviously) so carrying up babies and toddlers may become a pain. Once upstairs though it is a big space for the family.
The resort is beautiful, the staff were wonderful and we were all able to truly relax thanks to the ability to hire help for the children at pretty much anytime you would need it. Kids had tons to keep them busy - yoga, craft activities and kids spa.
The diving and snorkeling at Apo island is amazing. Turtles everywhere and the coral reef was beautiful. It is only a half hour boat ride from the resort. My husband who is usually not interested in boats or the sea loved it too and the reef is so spectacular.
The dive operation is faultless - easy to book up and you are really looked after.
Food was great, good selection of wine and a very relaxed, warm atmosphere to the resort. We hope to come back!

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank NDaniels123

Hi Ndaniels123 thank you for your lovely review and for choosing to holiday with Atmosphere. We’re very happy that you enjoyed your stay and that the kids were kept busy with our fun kid’s cove activities! We hope to see you all back here again in the future, perhaps you might like to see some special sights the island of Negros has to offer or spend some time in our spa, we’re looking forward to it.

Reviewed April 4, 2016

Manager announced resort was famous for fine dining. Food not bad but certainly not fine dining.
Rooms ok but considering the 5 star price need a bit more thought. Resort caters to European tourists mostly so they would consider it 5 star.
Dive operation is tops.
Wine corkage 1,000 per bottle so bring something expensive if so inclined. Lauded their own cellar but glass door left open most of the day and a/c turned off at night.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank murrayb63

Thank you for your review Murrayb63. We do try to ensure our rooms are comfortable, yet minimalist, clean and homely for our guests and we're sorry this wasn't to your liking. We are very proud to have such an extensive wine list at Atmosphere. Currently we stock around 60 wines in our wine cellar, selected for Atmosphere by our Sommelier and chosen to fit the dishes on our menus. The corkage fee is there to ensure that our guests – unless they wish to bring a very exclusive wine not available at Atmosphere – appreciate the wines we have chosen. As for the door being open and the AC turned off at night – this is definitely not our procedure and we will investigate this to ensure the wines stay cool at all times. Despite these issues we're happy to hear that you enjoyed the diving and our dive centre and we hope you decide to come back and dive with us in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2016 via mobile

Overall we enjoyed our experience here. First and foremost the staff are friendly and warm, really couldn't ask more from the service.
The check in experience was great. Seeing we had an early 7:00am flight out of Manila we knew that should the flight be on schedule we would be at the resort well ahead of check in time. Surprisingly, our Cebu Pacific flight was close to schedule and we arrived into Dumaguete before 8:30am. The pick-up service was there as arranged and after a 40min or so transfer we were at the resort. We expected to have to wait a few hours to check in however the staff without being asked offered us a temporary room to rest and relax in until our booked room was ready. This is rare for a hotel to be so accommodating, so this was a big plus !
The rooms are also well appointed with self catering amenities if needed. They're very spacious and even though there are quite a few rooms on the property, they are interspersed so you have a lot of privacy.
The resort primarily caters to guests that dive, and being divers ourselves we checked out the options. Seems to be very well organised. We signed up for a last minute shore dive and even though I hadn't dived for a while, our Dive Master Eric was very patient. I wish we had enough time to dive Apo reef.
We arranged one tour via the hotel to Oslob to see the Whale Sharks. This was a great day however a little expensive as the cost is 6k PhP per person. Having arranged this myself last year when I was staying in Cebu, I know the actual "experience" with the Whale Sharks costs 1,100 PhP, so notwithstanding the nice lunch that was provided and the personal attention afforded by the hotel guides, it's too expensive. I would have thought 4K would be reasonable and still allow the hotel to make a reasonable margin on the tour. You are allotted a maximum 30min with the whale sharks so I was a little annoyed that the mask and snorkel given to me were faulty. It took a good 5-10 mins to get this sorted and even then the mask still leaked water.

We had also booked the soup kitchen tour 48 hours in advance, however upon arriving at reception at the designated time of 10:30am, the receptionists appeared to be unaware of our booking (it was written on the board), and we sat there for half an hour watching the reception staff scramble to organise something for us. By the time we had arrived, most of the children had already finished eating and were on their way out to go home.

The big disappointment was with the quality of the food. Having heard so many good things about the resort restaurant and how it's regularly booked out,
I must say we were underwhelmed.

The kitchen had trouble cooking poached eggs that were firm, and despite sending them back to the kitchen, the second attempt was no better.
The steak we ordered for an evening mea was ok (Brazilian origin), cooked to order however the steamed vegetables were over-buttered, and the mashed potato was the instant variety - my pet hate. No excuse for this seeing potatoes are in plentiful supply.

The next day for lunch I ordered a club sandwich without bacon. After a long 40 minute wait, the club sandwich arrived with bacon inside. I took one look at it and told the waitress that I had ordered it without bacon. She looked at me and replied "well, you can take it off." Really? There are some people who do not eat pork for cultural or religious reasons and even if I had simply removed the bacon myself, the bacon fat had by now soaked into the bread.. I asked her to please send it back to the kitchen and have them make me a new one. It came back 2 minutes later, and the waitress told me they had simply taken the bacon off. Again I sent the sandwich back and waited another 30 minutes for them to make me a new one.

The resort promotes having complimentary afternoon snacks (this was listed as being part of the inclusions), the two afternoons we were there, the snacks consisted of one pizza cut up into small bite sized pieces. The first afternoon we were offered one piece. The second afternoon we weren't offered anything at all. The pizza did come around but it was not offered to people sitting on our side of the pool. Not wanting to be petty, but don't list this as an inclusion if you are not serious about providing "complimentary afternoon snacks".

The breakfast is included in the room rate and you have a choice of either the alacarte or buffet, and I suppose despite the miss with the poached eggs, the options are ok.

On a positive note, the rooms are very clean and spacious and with all the usual amenities one would expect. Overall a good resort, particularly if you're a diver - we loved the grounds however overall it's let down by a hit and miss restaurant.

Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
2  Thank howard_and_bec

Dear Howard and Bec,

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Atmosphere and that you appreciated the service and warmth of the staff. As for your check-in – whenever we have free rooms and guests arriving early, we always try to accommodate them by giving them a room to use. It is what we would want when we go on holiday, so we decided to implement it here at Atmosphere. We are also happy that you liked the rooms, the dive service and the whale shark trip. We are aware that the actual whale shark experience is around 1000 pesos per person, but we also have to pay for the car ferry – which is 1276 return, as well as hiring the van – which is 8000 – so at the end of the day the margin isn’t huge. We could also drop our guests at the ferry and let them go there on their own, but we wouldn’t feel that they got the full “Atmosphere Experience”.
We were saddened to hear that you didn’t feel that the quality of the food was up to par – we know it was a busy time when you were here and we had a few temporary staff in but that should not affect the quality of the food, which we are usually praised for. Regarding the bacon incident, the action taken by our staff on this occasion is regarded by us as completely unacceptable. We have spoken to our restaurant team and reminded them of the protocol; especially for allergies and specific food diets to ensure this never happens again! All we can do now is apologise to you for this unfortunate mistake. For the afternoon snacks we never realized that our guests were expecting more than a few bites with their drinks and we are going to be more precise in the future with how we advertise the snack. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast though!
We hope that if you wish to come and visit Atmosphere another time, that the quality of the food will be up to your expectations.