All reviewscraic housegreat divingthresher sharksfan roomtechnical divinggato islanddive sitesthe reefsfun divesstar warsperfect jobremembered our namesmantis shrimpmandarin fish divehot water and electricityanswered quicklyjo jo
Reviewed 11 June 2017

Second time for us on Malapascua, and first time staying (end of May 2017) at Evolution - and we couldn't fault the place, in fact we regretted only booking a 4 night stay !. Rooms big, clean and modern, bar on the beach with ice cold beer and good deals on cocktails, a good food menu with chefs happy to conjure up other things when requested (as we did as we took young baby with us), helpful and friendly staff, dive center perfectly and professionally run, and Evolution located right on the soft white clean sand beach, with clear blue water (occasional current when swimming offshore), and yes, Evolution definitely one of the nicest places we have stayed in the Philippines. We will go back at some point. If the flights Manila to Cebu were cheaper and the 4 hour transfer from Cebu airport to island was shorter we would no doubt be regular visitors as that is all that stops us visiting Malapascua more often.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2017

This is a bit more like paradise. The island is 1.5km long but the main beach – Bounty, is full of dive centres. Initially I thought it was over developed and it is to an extent but it was also quite isolated in this place, as you are at one end and we never really ventured out – there was real no need to. Nice sandy / ground up coral beach. You can walk about barefoot all the time although the sand can be hot. The Craic House –bar/restaurant is fine. My only issue was too much American / UK food – burger and chips, fish and chips etc. I had the Filipino Bicol Express on 4 nights to be authentic!
The rooms are lovely, huge beds, air con was ok and a ceiling fan. The TV had various films on demand, rather than actual channels. So for the few hours you might be in the room – you can watch Bridge over the River Kwai or Star Wars etc.
The staff are really helpful, friendly and smiley, you run up a tab and settle at the end of the week. They get to know your names which is quite nice. No need to tip as you go – just chuck it in the box at the end of your stay. Even though it is an island the food and drink were about the same price as we paid in Moalboal, Cebu – 60PHP / £1 for a small beer (San Miguel brewed in the Philippines) £1.30ish for a large beer 500ml – Red Horse 6.9% and roughly 300PHP-500PHP £5-£8 for a main meal. It’s very laid back and relaxing. I was here for diving so didn’t do a lot else. The Thresher shark dive was ok, it was mobbed with divers (13 boats) and we only saw glimpses of the sharks but its almost guaranteed you will see them. It’s off the bucket list. The diving was pretty good. Water temp was 28 degrees – I used a 1mm shortie and 2mm undervest – I was fine. Some others wore 5mm.
Behind all the hotels are alleyways where the locals live. It’s got the shanty town feel but this is how locals live. We never really went out anywhere else as when you are in a largish group its difficult to organise at times and it is too east to stay put. The one time we did go out was the dwarf v lady boy basketball match at one end of the island. So politically incorrect, but very entertaining. If you have to stay in touch etc, Wifi is on offer in the restaurant area only and was perfectly ok.
Diving is well organised, your kit is carried for you and tanks changed as well. The guys get to know your equipment and set up. We could do with this in the UK!
Lovely setting, warm sea water, nice diving. Viz is probably 15-20m so it is not up there with Red Sea viz but there’s plenty of life and colour and it was nice to see things that I’ve not seen before.
I really enjoyed the week I spent here, it’s a great set up, well run, nice accommodation. More or less everyone seems to say the same and rate this place highly on Trip Adviser and to be fair you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms opposite the Craic house are nearer the beach and are by the dive assembly area. Rooms in the set back block are quieter and bigger.
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2017

My husband and I traveled to Evolution in April for four days of diving. We're fairly high maintenance (both photographers) so we'd pre-arranged with Evolution to have our own boat and guide. This meant we could leave earlier to get to sites when no one else is there, and pretty much go where we wanted. The diving was effortless - warm water, no current, and the staff takes care of all of your gear. We did the shark dive at Monad Shoal each day, day trips to Gate Island and Kalanggaman Island, and several local dives (including the mandarin fish dive at dusk).

The dive boats for Monad Shoal and the day trips are very large outrigger style. Entry is a giant stride off the front, and exit is via a handy trap-door staircase. So if you didn't have your own boat, there would be no awkward floating waiting to get back in the boat because there is plenty of room to hang off the outrigger pontoons.

We had room #13, which was upstairs, had plenty of privacy, and good air conditioning. Not sure I would have survived in one of the fan-cooled rooms as it was HOT. We stayed at the resort for all of our meals - safe to say that we enjoyed the mac and cheese with meatballs at the Craic House for more than one meal. There is free wifi available in the restaurant area, but it was painfully slow anytime except early in the morning. If you HAVE to stay connected, make sure you have a data roaming package or get a local sim.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2017

I stayed for 4 nights at the resort and had a great and chilled time. The staff in general was super friendly, always receiving you with a big smile. The diving was amazing. I did my AOW and I was extremely happy with the dives and especially with my instructor (thanks, Dannie!!). The equipments were in great conditions, the boat was never too full, small diving groups,... The food at the restaurant was also really tasty and with an ok price! All in all, a great experience and I would defiantly recommend it to friends!

Room Tip: Fan rooms were quite hot, so maybe AC would be the best option. Shower has hot and cold water!
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

Good clean room, well maintained, spacious, warm, cold water. Every day fresh water prepared in the room. Super friendly staff, good food and great diving with very professional guides.

Enjoyed the atmosphere, professionalism of staff all in all perfect stay!

Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple