“Deep diving”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$105.13*
and up
Three-Dive Scuba Diving Tour with Morning Thresher Shark Dive from Malapascua...
Ranked #3 of 23 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Center, located on Malapascua Island in the Philippines. Offering daily thresher shark dives, mantas, hammerheads, reefs and wrecks, macro and muck diving, mating mandarin fish, seahorses, frogfish and much more. Small groups with experienced Divemasters and Instructors. TSD offers all the local dives sites, a full range of PADI courses from beginner to Instructor, dive internships and technical diving. British owned and run, professional and safe, with 8 years experience on Malapascua,
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Malaybalay City, Philippines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Deep diving”
Reviewed March 16, 2017 via mobile

Very professional , did a deep diver course needed for the thresher shark dive , . Highly recommended .. if given a chance, I would love to finish my advance course here.

2 Thank nosreh72

• Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Overall a very good experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2017

My experience with TSD was very good. The pick-up times from (and return to) Cebu were based upon what worked best for me and not a time schedule dictated by them that I had to meet. What was best for me, I got. High marks for that. I dove with 4 different instructors/masters and always felt safe and looked after. I was impressed by their attention to safety. Again, very high marks for that.
On the first dive I had lots of equipment issues (MY equipment, not theirs) and my dive master was very patient with it all. The rental equipment I saw looked to be in very good condition.
On one shark dive I only saw 1 thresher clearly, for about 5 seconds. There were also 2 eagle rays, and shadows of other sharks. But not every diver on the boat goes to the exact same place, and another diver had a thresher circle and stay within eyesight for over 10 minutes.
On another shark dive, I had over 10 clear and exciting sightings, got some incredible video, and saw 3 sharks swimming together after we left the bottom and headed towards the boat. I'm confident I saw between 5-10 different threshers.
I can imagine that saying the exact same things over and over several times a day for months or years on end would be boring and hard to get "excited" about for TSD's employees. While the instructors could have shown a bit more "energy" with their teachings, what they taught and prepared me for were "spot on".
Angus in particular really impressed me. His pre-dive instructions and descriptions were professional and precise. On more than 1 occasion I felt that he really had my safety and best interests in mind. On the dive itself he was attentive to the entire group (4 total) and communicated extremely well, pointing out several things of interest and guiding us incredibly well. After the dive he gathered us all together and reviewed the dive and what we saw and did. It was like re-living the dive all over again. Well done, Angus. Good on ya, mate! And again, sorry for calling you "Ashton" the first time! *laugh*

Cons: It was low tide when we reached our boat and we had to navigate over very slippery and uneven large rocks to reach the waters edge. Twisting an ankle (or worse) was a very real possibility. Then our luggage was set on the slimey rocks and got stained. Not huge issues, but could be improved upon.
Then it got dark with about 10 more minutes to go before reaching Malapascua. No one had a light (used our I-phones) and walking through the water for a couple of minutes was difficult. Again, could be improved, but not a huge issue. Also, we were charged an extra 1000 pesos for the "nighttime" crossing.

I would have no problem using TSD again, especially if I could request Angus as my dive master.

2 Thank Jeff V
scbrdvr, Owner at Thresher Shark Divers, responded to this review, March 17, 2017
Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much for you lovely review and so glad you had a great time!

As for your boat crossing, I'm very sorry this was not ideal. I know the "pier" is not the easiest place to transfer, especially at low tide. Its very frustrating after all these years, but our hands are tied; we are waiting for the government to finish building the new pier which will be a vast improvement. We do warn all advance bookings about this as part of our Info Sheet and try to avoid later crossings. We are also forced to hire the pier-employed porters to carry all luggage, but I’ve never heard the complaint of the rock before, so hopefully that is not common. I will mention it to our staff members, as there is always at least one of them on the boat.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the lack of flashlights on your arrival transfer. The crew are supposed to have lights, so I'm not sure what happened. I will ensure this is enforced in the future.

Glad to hear you got such great shark sightings! It sounded amazing!

Hope to see you again!

Best regards,

Andrea (owner)
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It could have been better.. Much better”
Reviewed March 9, 2017 via mobile

Sad to say that despite all the positive reviews, I had a poor visit. I was completing my open water and found my instructor (Angus) to be easily frustrated and impatient. I found the teaching style to be quite authoritarian and not suitable for new and nervous divers. The environment overall was not fun for me and incredibly awkward at times. I was also discouraged from seeing the thresher sharks as I wasnt ready but managed to successfully complete the dive elsewhere on the island. Could be just a one off or personality clash but the fit was no good.

The instruction itself was very rigid and it seemed like it was being read from a textbook. When i went to another school on the island, they used a rubix cube and water bottle to explain air pressure and color change in deep water. Going elsewhere made me really think I did not get good value for my money.

I found the cost of the program to be expensive (19500 pesos for the open water course compared to 15000 pesos that other five star local dive schools charge on the island) especially since the quality of teaching was lacking.

On a more positive note, Darren provided excellent customer service and Elvir (student teacher) is going to make a great dive instructor some day. Both are very patient and good listeners. Andrea (the owner) is personable, responsive and kind.

Unfortunately I would not visit thresher dive school again or recommend it to any of my friends.

1 Thank Desiretodream2016
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Dive with a brilliant team”
Reviewed March 9, 2017

We came to Malapascua to see the Thresher Sharks. One of our friends recommended we organise the dive with Thresher Shark Divers, and she was so right.

The all team was brilliant, from beginning to end. Our diver master, Tata, was like a Jedi Master, we started seeing thresher sharks about 2 minutes after we entered the water!

We ended up seeing at least 5 tresher sharks, it was just an amazing experience, yay!!

Thanks Trehser Shark Divers, see you next time! :-)

Visited March 2017
“Excellent service and saw 5+ Thresher Sharks - amazing!”
Reviewed March 9, 2017

Diving with Thresher Sharks has been on my bucket list for a while, and I was not disappointed. Thresher Shark Divers are lovely to deal with and super organised. Saw at least 5 Thresher Sharks this morning on our first dive. What an absolute pleasure to see these incredible creatures. Highly recommend.