“excellent dive instructor: Angus and Megan”

Thresher Shark Divers
Ranked #4 of 23 Tours in Malapascua Island
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star CDC Dive Center, located on Malapascua Island in the Philippines. Offering daily thresher shark dives, mantas, hammerheads, reefs and wrecks, macro and muck diving, mating mandarin fish, seahorses, frogfish and much more. Small groups with experienced Divemasters and Instructors. TSD offers all the local dives sites, a full range of PADI courses from beginner to Instructor, dive internships and technical diving. British owned and run, professional and safe, with 15 years experience on Malapascua.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 8 February 2017

We did our advanced open water and Nitrox with both Angus and Megan. They were both keen, passionate and knowledgeable.. They taught us a lot of new things and corrected our wrong doings. We learned a lot from them. It was fun diving with them and highly recommended.

1  Thank littlegorgor
"bar and restaurant"
"every morning"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 4 February 2017

The center is super well organized and efficient. The staff are focused on customer service and satisfaction. I had a great opportunity to dive with terrific dive masters: Gary, Vera, Wilbert - all excellent spotters and very attentive.

The care they offer guests getting on & off the boats is superb. Being a bit older - they were so helpful getting my weight belt, BCD, and fins off each & every time. They were always available to lend a hand getting on & off the boats.

Fortunately the soft & hard coral is still in great shape. Though I was there in a low season - the visibility was not the best - I had a wonderful time seeing many "new to me" creatures such as the Thresher Sharks (fabulous!!) and lots of macro creatures that could only be seen with the help of the dive masters.

This center attracts a lot of Nitrox divers so Nitrox & Air divers are typically organized into separate groups. The center offers 4 dives per day and 2 special all day (2-tank) trips to islands a little more distant.

There were a lot of divers during the week of the Lunar New Year - a big vacation time for South East Asian & China - so the boats were plenty full. Suggest skipping a major holiday time to best enjoy the dives.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

My time with Thresher Shark Divers was amazing :) They are responsive with your questions and will help you to arrange hassle-free transportation and accommodation (subjected to availability). Majority of my dives were done with a local guide and with their eagle eyes, the dives were pretty amazing. While a little pricey, their dive equipment are top notched, staff and dive masters/instructors are friendly and professional - making my time in Malapascua Island an awesome one!

Reviewed 31 January 2017

Why we chose TSD over other dive centers in Malapascua was because of how responsive and helpful they were right from the get-go. I had been emailing with Andrea who always replied with a lot of enthusiasm and detail. What we really loved about TSD was how well-organised the center was at all times, the boats always departed on time, and the whole TSD team was ready to make sure you had everything you needed, from the shop-girls, to the boat and equipment staff to the DMs.

My partner and I initially bought a 10-dive package, however, ended up doing 15 dives. We particularly enjoyed the day-trip to Gato Island, which offered amazing and very varied diving (cave entrance, soft coral, lots to see!). TSD also organised these day-trips very well with a packed lunch including a sandwich, soft drink, fruit and chips between dives.

Our Divemaster was May, who was actually on her 3rd day on the job when we were placed with her. But she was absolutely excellent, found all the best things for us to see, went at a pace that was ideal for me with my GoPro underwater, and always worked in a very professional but fun and genuine manner. This leads me to belief that TSD really makes sure they employ well-experienced DMs. After our first dive, we requested May as our DM for the rest of the week!

One downside we noticed however, was how some of the other DMs felt the need to touch and disturb the marine life in order to show divers. We really didn't appreciate this, and believe its especially important for the staff to set a good example to other divers underwater who may mirror this behaviour and think its acceptable. The staff should make it clear to all divers how important it is to be careful with your hands and fins underwater so that you do not damage coral etc.

Nevertheless, we entirely enjoyed our stay with TSD and would highly recommend this center to others.

1  Thank Katharina M
scbrdvr, Owner at Thresher Shark Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Hi Katharine,

Andrea here, thank you for your lovely review and so glad everything went so well for you :)

I looked into the incident you mentioned about touching as that is not something we allow our DMs to do. From what I can gather, was an isolated incident on your dive to Chocolate Island. The marine life that was picked up was actually a dead fish, apparently there found a few lying around in one area at that time. The DM in question was very upset about it and told the manager afterwards, which is why the manager recalls the incident. As this DM was leading a different group, it probably looked from a distance like he was just pickup up random marine life.

Rest assured, they do not normally do this :)

Hope to see you again sometime and happy diving!

Best regards

Andrea (Owner)

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 January 2017

This was my second visit to Malapascua and also the second time I dived with Thresher Shark Divers (TSD). And just to make it clear - I was very very satisfied with the dive company and the product they deliver.

First of all, TSD is not just a dive company. It is also a small travel agency, who will arrange everything for you if you ask them to. This means you dont have to worry about transfer, boats, accomodation and so on - they will do all the work for you. For me and my friend this meant, that from the moment we arrived in Cebu Airport, EVERYTHING was taken care of. Of course this comes with a price, but I checked the prices before we booked and honestly I could not have done it much cheaper myself - so it would not have been worth it.

Booking is very easy. I sent them an email and after a few hours Andrea, the owner, returned with a package price including transfer, accomodation, and a fixed number of dives. I transfered a deposit, and a week before arrival I transfered the residual amount. Couldnt have been easier. When checking out from the resort all we had to pay for was the equipment rental, a few extra dives and off course our bar bill :)

What makes TSD unique though, is the staff: The divemasters, the boatcrew, the office clerks and the barcrew are all amazing. They made us feel we were a part of a small family and we even ended up going out for dinner and drinks with some of the divemasters on a few occations. It is very obvious that they all love what they do, and some of them I even recognized from my last visit six years ago.

Will I return to Malapascua? Yes

Will I dive with TSD again ? Yes

Will I dive with any other dive companys in Malapascua ? No. The might be dive operators that are a little cheaper than TSD, but I doubt they can deliver the quality that TSD delivers.