Lowest prices for your stay
$66
Free cancellation until 02/11/23
Hotels.com$74
Travelocity$74
Trip.com$70
All reviews beach front happy hour excellent diving nice beach dive instructor resort island malapascua padi paradise skills typhoon
Selected filters
Reviewed December 24, 2019

Diving:
Fantastic experience. Chris and Sophie made our time diving with exotic far more exciting and fun than we had anticipated! We completed our advanced open water course here and every dive was pure joy!

Chris is an excellent, thorough and knowledgeable instructor. His sense of humor made learning extremely fun. Always felt safe with him in the water. He was very adaptive and maintained a good understanding of my limits and aspirations. Highly recommend him!

Rey has years of experience with the local dive sites and also very warm!

Arvi and the boat crew are great guys and very skilled at what they do!

Many great dive locations for varying degrees of skill and experience!

Threshers: 1st dive saw quite a few sharks for nearly the whole bottom time. 2nd dive saw a ray and some of the group saw a pair of sharks. Give this dive two chances if you don't get luck the first time. The sharks are breathtaking.

House reef was wonderful day and night!

Kalanggaman Island: Worth!! Dive here if you can, but enjoyable even without! Beautiful island with breathtaking shallow life. Very beautiful steep wall. Very rich variety and much to see!

Food:
Wide selection with varying quality. Better quality for the money than many places on the beachside.

Acommodation:
Cannot comment, didn't stay here.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
MalapascuaExoticTeam, Team at Malapascua Exotic Island Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2020

It was a pleasure to provide you with the best service and diving experience we could.
On behalf of all the team, we thank you for your kind review and hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 19, 2019

Those of you reading this review know why we travel to Malapascua Island. When I flew all across the world to scuba dive and arrived to discover they didn't have enough guests or staff to accommodate me I was extremely upset. The customer service at the hotel was awful and they refused to refund my money for my booking so i could stay at another resort who could accommodate my diving needs.
Setting that issue aside, the resort on the furthest point of the island with minimal people around-- you have to walk more than half a mile on the beach to get to an area populated by people. The "honeymoon suite" the hotel advertised as oceanfront is small and basic with a really loud and barey working air conditioner. The island does not have fresh water on it and this hotel forces to purchase expensive bottles of water in your room just to be able to brush your teeth and they do not furnish any toiletries with the exception of a tiny bar of soap. Note: The hotel I relocated to furnished water and toiletries so I am confident it is an isolated hotel issue with Exotic Island Dive resort. I strongly suggest doing some research prior to booking and DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room tip: no good rooms and worst location on the island--southernmost tip--long walk on beach to populated area
Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank Shara F

Dear Shara,

It is regrettable that you didn't have a good experience at our resort. However, we would like to clarify the situation about your stay as we believe in accurate reviews.

You arrived during typhoon Tisoy and our staff did their best to accommodate your needs while keeping you safe, but you didn't accept our safety measures. The room you booked was on the beach front and we always recommend our guests to change to a more sheltered room when a typhoon hits the island, for safety reasons. The diving was cancelled, as the wind was getting stronger and the waves higher, also for safety reasons.

As you booked through an agency, the resort isn't able to process refunds. This is a common policy that was stated during your booking and needs to be addressed with your agency.

Our resort is located on a quieter part of the island, which our guests find very relaxing. Nonetheless, the busier part where most ferries drop people off is only a 10 minute walk through the village or along the beach. We also provide a shuttle service from the pier to our resort for guests with heavy luggage.

We provide free glasses of water at the restaurant, and we have refill options. We also provide shampoo and soap in the rooms.

Regards,

Reviewed October 2, 2019 via mobile

Excellent stay in Exotic. Rooms are quite spacious, clean, tv (does not really matter to me but it’s there), fridge, hot water.

AC is quite noisy but at least it offsets the outside noises if there are some.
Room 7 is close to the beach and the restaurant.

Staff is very kind, polite and helpful.

Diving guides are great. They know their stuff. Wilmar and Paul are recommended.

Breakfast is average though. It’s a shame they don’t put tables on the beach like others resorts do.

More beanbags, beach chairs and hammocks would be a plus.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear guest,

On behalf of Malapascua Exotic, we thank you for your review.
We take notes of your feedback and we hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed September 26, 2019 via mobile

Excellent dive guides and boat staff... really enjoyed that. A new executive chef Marco has a range of experience and produced some excellent food - well done. The challenge for him is the dismally slow kitchen on a rather ordinary menu.

The dive centre and hotel have a semi detached relationship and in particular in relation to accounting. It would seem to the centres advantage.

The senior management seem detached from the day to day guest experience. This is reflected in the generally tired amenities and rooms and wifi. All very 1970s not 2019! Resting on laurels is evidenced in a Trip Adviser certificate of excellence that is at least 10 years out of date in the reception.

Join their diving team and stay elsewhere in more up to date facilitates.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank 31miker

Dear guest,

On behalf of Malapascua Exotic, we thank you for your review. We take notes of your feedback and hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed September 3, 2019

A few months ago I returned home from a stunning experience staying at Exotic Island Dive & Beach Resort. I had never dived before and came to take my Open Water Diver (OWD) certificate and dive a few times before our 10-day stay ended. By the end, I had racked up 9 hours and 13 minutes bottom time through 12 dives, and was a breathtaking experience richer.

The short version: I had an absolutely fantastic diving instructor (Rey/Renalos), all staff and divemasters were super friendly and focused on giving us a good experience, the rooms were great to sleep in after an active day of diving, and the restaurant kept us well-fed throughout the days. All in all a very professional and friendly place that I’d love to come back to.

For details, you can read my longer review below:

- Context -

I was slightly apprehensive about learning how to dive. My mom had convinced me, but I also work a very busy, overstimulating job day-to-day, so going on vacation to learn something completely new (read: more stimulation) left me a little worried. Well, I shouldn’t have been. It was fantastic!

- Diving training (Open Water Diver (OWD) certificate) -

I had an absolutely fantastic diving instructor called Rey. A great teacher. I felt safe every step of the way, even when things went a little wrong, as it sometimes does when you learn new things. Aside from doing his job professionally, communicating clearly and ensuring my understanding, he also seemed to truly enjoy teaching and diving, which was infectious.

Taking the OWD certification took me 4 days: One day for the theory walkthrough (approx. 3-4 hours’ video) and a multiple choice exam (granted you have read the book before, otherwise count at least 5 days, or read a copy before you go on vacation if you can get a hold of it), one day for skill training on shallow waters (equivalent to the pool dives), and two days (4 dives in total) for diving to deeper waters, exploring, and training skills at lower depth. You’ll be busy from 9:00-16:00 on those days, with approx. 2 hours lunch break in the middle.

Warning to other diving beginners: taking the OWD certification can be daunting, and the skill training on the second day can leave you a bit overwhelmed. This is because you train all the emergency procedures on your first dive into the water. I just want to say: hang in there. It’s important to learn what to do in case of emergencies, so it’s important to keep going until you learn (which the instructor will insist on, no skipping steps!). Once you learn, you will feel more confident and you will be safer underwater, and it really does become more and more fun from there when you start exploring the underwater world, and spend less time “losing your regulator”, or training what to do in case you run out of air.

Tip: If you don’t feel confident on a certain skill, or if you’re in doubt, or if you’re worried (whether it’s rational or not), say so! It’s the only way the instructor can help you.

- Diving -

All the divemasters I had (Rey, Kat, Wil, Michael, Tito) were super friendly and helpful, and took good care of us underwater (they keep an eye on everyone) while scouting for things to see. Although it was low season, the diveshop and divermasters took just as much care of us as they would normally, to ensure we had a good experience. Meaning: we still had two dives a day, at different locations decided by the staff (unless we requested a specific site), even though we weren’t a “full” team, and they took every dive seriously to ensure we saw as much as possible while taking the day’s currents and waves into account.

In terms of dive sites, the Monad Shoal is a must-do to see the famous Thresher Sharks. Otherwise you’ll definitely see loads of nudibranchs (colourful sea slugs - Google them!), pufferfish, cuttlefish, a myriad of tropical colourful fish, so many Nemos (clown fish) that you’ll lose count, forests of soft pink-and-purple corals, spikey lion fish, fat sea cucumbers, and possibly some pygmy seahorses and white-tipped sharks. Just to mention a few.

- Restaurant -

The restaurant had quite a few items on the menu card, which always leaves me a bit suspicious, but the kitchen actually managed to cook up most of what we requested (there were a few exceptions on things that were seasonal/not in stock), and it tasted well. The menu had both local, Asian, and Western cuisines, and the breakfast was a decent buffet.

- Rooms -

We had a super deluxe bedroom with two double beds, TV with multiple channels, and aircon – it had what we needed to rest after diving. Only thing to mention is that you should request a ground floor room if you have trouble walking up steep steps. You get used to the small geckos squeaking “geck-o” outside during the night very fast.

- Impression of Malapascua in general –

People are really friendly on Malapascua. Tourism is a great source of income, but people are friendly about it and not pushy and I felt welcome everywhere I went.

---

Thanks for a truly pleasant experience. Hope to see you again very soon.

/Sara from Denmark

Date of stay: March 2019
1  Thank SaraMaria_CPH

Dear Sara,

We thank you for your kind review. It truly warms our heart that you had a great experience with us.
On behalf of Malapascua Exotic, we hope to welcome you again and wish you a great year ahead.

Kind regards,