“Cold food”

Cantina Carnitas
Ranked #33 of 178 Restaurants in Hitchin
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Founded on Bucklersbury in 2011 – Cantina Carnitas saw two guys with a big idea and even bigger appetites for burritos establish their very own Mexican street food adventure. We are passionate about creating amazing food with authentic and fresh produce. Combine this with a relaxed, friendly environment and you have what Cantina is all about. From everyone involved at Cantina – we hope you enjoy our life-changing burritos and humanitacos.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We ordered from the Stevenage branch for collection last night. We were told 45 minute collection time, which was fine. However, I am sure the food must have sat on the counter for a least 20 mins, as the food was stone cold. I also ordered Nachos and only 2 were whole, with all the others being smashed. Over all, very disappointed and we won’t be going back,

Date of visit: April 2021
Matthew B, Owner at Cantina Carnitas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi,

Really sorry to hear this, and this is not the way we roll!! Please could you email info@cantinacarnitas.co.uk so we can investigate further!
regards
Team Cantina

Write a reviewReviews (72)

Reviewed 14 February 2021 via mobile

For 9 quid my burrito was small. The chicken inside was large chunks. It lacked guacamole and cheese. The flavour was OK but not the best. The naked burrito was Better with clearly more guac and cheese. However, it did taste like a home made burrito (not in a good way) from a random place like a chip shop. As a adult male this did not fill me up, IMO tortilla and el picante are better options. El picantes burritos are probably twice the weight of this one albeit a bit of a drive.

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 7 November 2020

I have used Cantina Carnitas for almost a year now and the food at the start was lovely. The chips were crispy and had a nice spicy powder on them that added great flavour to an already nice chip. The chicken and other ingredients were great and I never worried about receiving any ‘bad bits’.

Unfortunately, the quality of product in my opinion has decreased in recent times. This may be due to the opening up of a new kitchen to meet higher demand, but it seems with this growth the quality is diminishing. It appears to be so hit and miss now, on the odd occasion you receive the lovely food that brought you to Cantina’s, however, increasingly I find myself being disappointed.
The chips are now thinner and not cooked crispy and the nice spicy powder appears a thing of the past. The chips were lovely and golden with very minimal black and green bits of potato on show, but now the chips seem riddled with them. The price of the food itself is rather high, which I did not mind paying for the quality, but I now find myself out of pocket by £4 for a box of chips that is sometimes barely half full. In terms of the burrito, I find myself checking every mouthful of the chicken now as I have had some hard and stringy bits in some recent ones and this is quite off putting.

If you’re looking for a Mexican takeaway that has the potential to be great then Cantina’s is the one. However, I would suggest that they take some time to reflect on the quality of food they are providing during this period of expansion as this is what made them so popular in the first place and I feel is being lost.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 30 October 2020

I tried ordering with these yahoo's through 'Just Eat' for 2 people just after 10.30 this morning. After initially accepting my order for delivery at 12.40 I sat down with the other half highly anticipating a lovely Mexican for lunch. 20 mins before said delivery I recieved a rather un-welcomed text that told me that my order had be cancelled, no explanation, no nothing? I decided to contact the restaurant directly using the gmail response service. A little while later I recieved a short, abrupt rather rude reply telling me that they couldn't fulfil my order due to them being 'under staffed'. No offer of a later time slot nor any invitation to visit them at a later date. A word of advice from a potential customer. If you can't be bothered to take a not so cheap/substantial order from new customer don't waste said customers time by advertising food you don't have through Just Eat. Rant over.

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank RoboChops
Reviewed 24 October 2020

Great food, lovely burrito and nachos.
Reasonable price and good variety on the menu.
Vivid secure outside area and collection area for takeaways.
I will be back!