“Excellent, as always! Yes. There is a wait sometimes. Relax.”
Review of Riley's Fish Shack

Riley's Fish Shack
Ranked #2 of 55 Restaurants in Tynemouth
Price range: US$5 - US$40
Description: Fresh fish, locally caught, simply served... Celebrate our coastline and let the fish do the talking!
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I feel like I’m late to the party with my review, but after my latest meal at Riley’s I thought I’d add to the praise.

I’ve been going to Riley’s regularly since it opened, a luxury of living in the neighbourhood. I’ve never been served a poor meal or let down by the staff. The fish has always been fresh and the flavours well balanced. Today was no exception.

Is there a wait on a sunny and warm day? Yes. It shouldn’t come as a surprise, as you can see the queue from the top of the steps down to the beach. There’s even a sign telling you it’ll likely be ‘x’ number of minutes till your order is taken from the bottom of the ramp. You either accept the wait, order some drinks, and wait while enjoying the weather... or you don’t and go elsewhere. For those in a rush, there’s a McDonald’s a 10 minute drive away serving a Filet o’ Fish with your name on it. Truth be told, on a warm summer day, there’s a 30-40 minute wait for fish and chips on Front Street, places get busy in Tynemouth.

Of those options, I know where I’d rather be and it’s Riley’s.

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

We visited this establishment after watching a tv programme in which it was featured.
Granted it was the hottest day of the year so far and we did expect it to be busy but an hour to place your order and then another hour for it to be cooked ...is that really acceptable. When it arrived it certainly wasn't worth the two hour wait. At best the food was mediocre.
The staff need to be more proactive in telling customers how long the wait will be .We were lucky not have received a parking ticket

1  Thank jeannette210352
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

It may have been 'spring' wheb we visited but you wouldn't have known by the grey skies, heavy rain and huge waves!
This place provided a fabulous warm welcome with roaring fires and extra blankets if needed.
We ordered hot chocolate but will return for food as it looked delicious!

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Although this years spring weather is not yet anything to write home about, as hubby and I had an unexpected day off together without the kids we decided to visit Rileys. The weather was very cold and misty but this helped us to find a seat on the balcony near the fire and with the blankets provided we kept most of the damp at bay. The usual queue was not there either and Soon managed to place our order of a Monkfish wrap and small spicy pasties. Absolutely delicious! Good coffee too. My only advice would be to avoid if you are in a rush as even without any queues we were there over an hour. I've heard the queue can take 45 mins to get though but the food is worth it. I can imagine that on a fine day if you can bag a deck chair the wait will not be a problem.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

A chilly walk down to the shack on the beach. But well worth the adventure of dealing with the onshore brisk breeze. The coffee is outstanding . They do understand how to extract the true essence of the coffee. Fish cake was had for breakfast excellent.