All reviews new friends bunk beds common room water supply other guests simple breakfast la union pay pesos solo traveller walking distance upon check special thanks free breakfast nets hammocks pandesal backpackers
Reviewed 19 October 2018 via mobile

Thanks Mark for making it possible for me to experience new year in LU. Walked in and no reservations made; almost impossible to be accommodated since it was already new years eve. I thought it's going to be a lonesome new years day but ended having new friends and really enjoyed my stay. The introvert me learned to mingle and eventually found new friends. Superb staff and crew. Apir!! :)

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2018

It's very barebones. It provides you a decent bed or hammock to sleep. Most of it is self service. One issue is the lack of electricity outlets, they only have them in one area, far from beds.

Keep in mind that the hostel is right next to a bar that has loud music or live singing. Friday night, it lasted until 3AM.

Room tip: Avoid the beds facing the bars
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

The best thing about The Circle Hostel is its affordable price. Good for backpackers, but not for oldies who cannot endure climbing up stairs and double- or triple-deck bunkbeds. No wifi, though understable, because part of the advocacy of the place is meeting new friends and engaging in worthy conversations in the common area.

Downside: You have to cross the highway to get to the beach. And the street gets really muddy during the rainy season.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Kage G, Social Media at The Circle Hostel, La Union, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Thanks for your review.

To clarify though, we do actually have WiFi available for all guests. But we do encourage people to get off their phones and enjoy the moment and live in the now.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

I can’t believe how many friends I made when my best friend and I stayed here. This is an amazing place if you are a spontaneous back packer who wish to meet people and make friends!

It is uncomfortable to sleep but we didn’t actually wanted to sleep anyways because we were having so much fun!

Warning: Not for those who want comfortable beddings and facilities!

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Kage G, Social Media at The Circle Hostel, La Union, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your time at the hostel.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

My friends and I were generally okay with the place. What we loved most was the openness of the other guests at the hostel and interaction with people outside our circle. Timely, there was even a free Fire show! :) What we were disappointed in most were the rooms and your lack of policy for PWD discounts for reservations.

The mosquito nets did nothing to protect my friends and myself from getting insect bites in the middle of the night even after applying insect repellant. The mosquito nets already have large holes which did nothing to protect us. Some of my friends preferred to sleep in the common area because it was cooler and they did not experience any insect bites there. The electric fans do not reach or are to weak to reach certain bunk beds. If the bed is far from the ceiling fans, most likely you'd be sweating at night especially during the summer season.

As for the PWD discount issue, it is part of the law to honor PWD/Senior cards and grant them their respective 20% discount. Lodging establishments are number 1 on the list under Section 32 of Republic Act No. 7277. One of my friends is a PWD and she was NOT granted this privilege just because we reserved our booking via email (Apparently, the discount only applies to walk-ins). I understand that it would be difficult to track this for long distant/online transactions but there should have been a way to get around that be it present the card when we get there or provide the number (in which case, many establishments do). I don't think that is too difficult.

Room tip: Wifi is only in the common room area; sleeping quarters have no wifi
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Kage G, Social Media Team at The Circle Hostel, La Union, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Hi Carla,

Thanks for your feedback, esp regarding your concern over the PWD discount. We have cascaded all of this to the Head Office.

- The Social Media Team