All reviews new friends bunk beds common room water supply other guests simple breakfast la union pay pesos solo traveller walking distance upon check special thanks free breakfast nets hammocks pandesal backpackers
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

I can’t believe how many friends I made when my best friend and I stayed here. This is an amazing place if you are a spontaneous back packer who wish to meet people and make friends!

It is uncomfortable to sleep but we didn’t actually wanted to sleep anyways because we were having so much fun!

Warning: Not for those who want comfortable beddings and facilities!

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Kage G, Social Media at The Circle Hostel, La Union, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your time at the hostel.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

My friends and I were generally okay with the place. What we loved most was the openness of the other guests at the hostel and interaction with people outside our circle. Timely, there was even a free Fire show! :) What we were disappointed in most were the rooms and your lack of policy for PWD discounts for reservations.

The mosquito nets did nothing to protect my friends and myself from getting insect bites in the middle of the night even after applying insect repellant. The mosquito nets already have large holes which did nothing to protect us. Some of my friends preferred to sleep in the common area because it was cooler and they did not experience any insect bites there. The electric fans do not reach or are to weak to reach certain bunk beds. If the bed is far from the ceiling fans, most likely you'd be sweating at night especially during the summer season.

As for the PWD discount issue, it is part of the law to honor PWD/Senior cards and grant them their respective 20% discount. Lodging establishments are number 1 on the list under Section 32 of Republic Act No. 7277. One of my friends is a PWD and she was NOT granted this privilege just because we reserved our booking via email (Apparently, the discount only applies to walk-ins). I understand that it would be difficult to track this for long distant/online transactions but there should have been a way to get around that be it present the card when we get there or provide the number (in which case, many establishments do). I don't think that is too difficult.

Room tip: Wifi is only in the common room area; sleeping quarters have no wifi
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Kage G, Social Media Team at The Circle Hostel, La Union, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Hi Carla,

Thanks for your feedback, esp regarding your concern over the PWD discount. We have cascaded all of this to the Head Office.

- The Social Media Team

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I had a great time at the hostel. It's my first time to experience staying in one. I went with friends and it was a perfect place for chilling. Made some new friends too. I like how the newly made bathroom was made from eco-bricks. Toilets are brand new with bidet and there is always tissue.

Common room is the best place to chill as there are a lot of fans and no walls. It's a lot cooler compared to staying in the bunks where the electric fan doesnt hit. Great place to meet new people and hang with friends.

Note that some bunks are TRIPLE deckers. Be wise to choose the lowest bunk as the electric fan only reaches some of the bunks. The 3rd bunk is hard to climb, if you've had too much to drink, but it has the best access to electric fan as it's closer to the ceiling.

It's hard to stay here during summer as the heat can get really unbearable during the day. It only slightly improves at night. Was able to cook lunch by going to the wet market to buy meat and grill it in the hostel. Gotta pay 50 pesos for every time you use their gas stove too. Be mindful of the flies, as the kitchen too is an open area.

Breakfast is nothing impressive. It's just mini pandesals with peanut butter and bananas. Good thing I packed some sausages and corned beef. Always clean as you go, including upon check out by returning the bedsheets in the laundry bin.

All in all, I had a great time. Just wish it wasn't so hot. I would suggest they install some mist in their electric fans to keep the place cool. The heat could get really unbearable during summer.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Kage G, Social Media Team at The Circle Hostel, La Union, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Thanks for your feedback!

Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

The LU Circle Hostel was the right choice to stay for 2 weeks. The place was cozy but needs a quick cleaning for some very sensitive travelers. The beach is a walk away which is the same with pretty everything that you need. For the previous days there was a limited water supply like for about 2 weeks but it is how one see things and enjoy the situation after all, i believe. Dont worry though because when I left the water problem was already solved.

What was striking are the happy faces i have met. If you are a solo traveler and would love to meet people from across the globe and from all walks of life...be here...

The Circle LU family has been very helpful and friendly like way more than I expected. Thank you guys...ate raquel, kuya norman, mark (the englisher) and dreen...

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

This hostel made me feel like having a home away from home. I ended up staying almost 2 weeks instead of planned couple of days, because of the good vibes and cosy atmosphere. At Circle you always find friends to surf, chill or go party with!

Special thanks to the hostel manager Marc, who made sure that everyone had a good time and was always ready to help with any questions I had. One of the highlights of my stay was Marc’s cookings, for sure the best dinner in town for a very fair price ^.^

I really fell in love with this place and will visit the other Circle hostels in Zambales and Baler for sure! Highly recommend Circle for anyone to stay in La union (travelling solo or not), it’s a good place to start your holiday and get to know what’s going on in the town :-)

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Kage G, Social Media Manager at The Circle Hostel, La Union, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

Thanks for joining the Circle! We had a great time having you with us.