“Tanks a lot (of tanks).”
Review of The Tank Museum

The Tank Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Bovington
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tank Museum brings history to life, with the world's best collection of tanks and explosive live displays. See almost 300 armoured vehicles as you explore seven powerful exhibitions. "The Tank Story" details tank history from 1915 to the present. "Battlegroup Afghanistan" transports you to the modern front line. In "The Second World War - Discovery Centre", you'll see the breadth of our unique collection plus "Fury" uncovering our involvement in the film. Following the First World War centenary commemorations, explore "The Trench Experience" and "Warhorse to Horsepower". New for 2015, "Tank Factory" tells the story of the tank makers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Are you interested in tanks? No? Then this is not the place for you! Yes? Then immerse yourself in everything possibly tank related. Lots of men (not being sexist - just didn't see any women) stroking the armour plating and cooing at the sight of each new tank.
For me, the most interesting part of the museum by far was the WW1 trench display.
What would improve this museum? Some 'escape routes' (like the Ikea short cuts) which could lead outside or to the nearest quiet space (the noise in the hangar is deafening). We ate lunch in the museum cafe - good value, hot and tasty; but nowhere near enough seating for the number of people queuing. The museum is vastly improved from my previous visit about 40 years ago; being honest, I would much prefer to spend the day at Monkey World and leave those who are interested in warfare and the role of tanks at the Tank Museum.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,246)
All reviews
in 102 reviews
"tracked vehicle"
in 99 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Last time I went to the tank museum i was 12. I'm now 36 with Kids of my own. I was really impressed with the activities for kids. Interactive exhibitions and of course the live tank display. It's perfect for rainy days as its all indoors and a huge place for kids to run around and burn some energy. The restaurant wasn't overly priced either and we can go back anytime in the next 12 months for free. Very enjoyable. Will definitely go again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited the Tank Museum in the summer. The first half of the museum is fantastic and there is lots of mini activities to do, both for adults and children . The way in which different pieces are displayed makes it fun, however the second half is a bit monotonous there are less activities and everything is more to see than hear or do for example a panel of paragraphs (more targeted to adults than children).The last bit was the tank display which was outside, it showed a variety of tanks firing, this was great to see. However, wish there was a little more of this than the man who was speaking about their history, as he didn’t make it sound exciting but spoke in a tone in which he was bored. Overall I’m pleased I went as its something I can say I’ve done, however wouldn’t visit again once was enough.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My son wanted to go here me not so much. I think the £14 entry fee is extortionate yes you can go back for free but for someone who live so far away you only want to go once it's a rip off.
We did it all in just under 2 hours.
The we have 300 tanks is a con as most are just dumped in a warehouse were you can only view from a small viewing platform.
All in all a very boring day.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We Come here regularly and its always an amazing day out. One point that organizers need to re-examine is the display in the Kuwait Arena, where 'enemy forces' pick up the Union flag and throw it down the hill, (3 - Apr-18)

with UK Serviceman fighting and dying around the globe, this left a bad taste and even my 14 year old son said it just didn't look right. We should show more respect for our nations flag, and especially in front of overseas tourists to an area steeped in Military history.

GJ