“TRULY AUTHENTIC RICE & CURRY”

Wasantha’s Sri Lanka Cuisine
Ranked #2 of 156 Restaurants in Unawatuna
Price range: US$2 - US$17
Description: Sri Lankan cooking is an art of its own. It's not about reading recipe books. It's food made from the heart and made out of pride. Wasanthi's kitchen is just that. A place to indulge your taste buds in what real in the Sri Lankan kitchen
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have been visiting Wasantha's each time I come to Sri Lanka and they never fail to satisfy customers.
If you are in lockdown they do home deliveries around Unawatuna.
So, today they served me traditional style fresh shark with eggplants, okra, lentils... everything delicious! Great lunch...can see the diffence... This my favorite best in Sri Lanka!

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (510)

Reviewed 24 July 2021 via mobile

It has been brilliant to be able to return to this restaurant this month - been twice already - as it fast became a firm favourite for me for real SriLankan food.

An understated little restaurant, tucked quietly away in Unawatuna. Do not be fooled, the food is 5 star and plentiful. Once seated, you have the ambience of home with super attentive service. The curries are truly traditional and diverse and utilise local produce and spices. As a regular customer, they automatically make my favourite dishes but they also ensure I'm introduced to new ones and ensure the best seasonal vegetables are incorporated and beautifully plated.

Highly recommended and if you visit, get the family to sit with you; they will quickly become firm friends.

I guarantee you will return again and again.

Date of visit: July 2021
wasantha's, Owner at Wasantha’s Sri Lanka Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2021

Dear Sue,
thank you so much for the time you took to write this amazing review,
it means a lot to us, we are very thankful for your visits every time, and we enjoy the little talks afterwards as well,
you are a one customer that we always look forward to seeing again

lot's of love from Team Wasanth's

Reviewed 24 July 2021 via mobile

I went here with a few friends because we were craving some traditional rice and curry and it was absolutely worth it. They put so much love into their cooking and it really shows in the presentation and flavor of the food. Every element on my plate was perfectly delicious.

I can't wait to go back for their food and the friendly staff who made us feel so welcome which made the meal all the better because it was truly like having a perfect home cooked meal.

Dear Anjallee,
Thank you so much for taking a moment of your time to write us this amazing review,
we are so thankful, and look forward to welcome you back
many thanks,
Team Wasantha.

Reviewed 24 July 2021 via mobile

There are so many reasons why I gave given this review a 5/5. If there was an option, I would give it more.

Firstly, as this is a review about a culinary experience, let's talk about the food:

You could have rice and curry anywhere in Sri Lanka; at a hotel restaurant, at a beach bar, at the side of a road even. But what most places lack in the way they cook rice and curry for a traveller is authenticity.
The flavours in the dishes that are served here literally shout "mama's food" and that's a rare quality when it comes to finding authenticity in rice and curry as a traveller.

Value for money: in my opinion, the food at Wasantha's is worth a lot more than is charged. That's another clear result of using local fresh produce and simply wanting to share what home-cooked Sri Lankan food is supposed to be.

Ambience: what creates and rather compliments the food itself is the fact that Wasantha's is not a restaurant but is indeed their family home of which a cozy family veranda on their porch has been converted into a place for a traveller sit and "join the family meal". I would sit with this beautiful family and share their authentic food any day of the week before even thinking about ordering food in a 5 star restaurant; this place would get 6 from me if it were allowed for other more experiential reasons.

The people: again, it's a family home where cooking and sharing their home-cooked food is their passion. You are not served by a waiter, you are served by "mama" and that is an experience that makes me want to come "home" again and again.

I would recommend a meal or 20 here if you have the time. Even for me, as a well travelled Sri Lankan, when I keep returning to Wasantha's, I simply feel as I've returned home.

Dear Arran,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write us this amazing review, it means a lot.
we are very happy to know that we were and are able to give you a homely experience

We look forward to wlcome you back,
Team Wasantha.

Reviewed 7 April 2021

Had the best time at Wasanthas. It's such a cozy and peaceful place.

Came there for 3 times, when we traveled through sri lanka. The food is heaven!
Thanks a lot :)

Date of visit: May 2020

Dear Jacqueline,

Thank you so much for taking a moment of your valuable time to write us this amazing review, it means a lot to us specially in a time like this

We are hoping that you and your family is healthy

hope to see you back soon,

Team Wasantha's