“Main perpose of vist - to investigate further possible family Hugeonot links”
Review of Huguenot Museum

Huguenot Museum
Ranked #12 of 44 things to do in Rochester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Museum is situated in an impressive building in the centre of Rochester, which also houses the tourist information office and an art gallery and café.
The actual Huguenot Museum is on the fist and second floor. It is beautifully and lovingly presented and houses not only an outline history of the Huguenots but also hosts changing exhibitions. There is a lift for people that find stairs challenging.
On one of the days that I went, there were activities for families and children were being encouraged to be creative.
The main focus of my visit was to use the research facilities which are housed is a separate room just off the main entry section.
I spent around 4 hours with a very helpful researcher,looking at various aspects of my family history.Suffice it to say that we did not get back any further than the 1700s- which fell short of my objective.
However,the research experience was excellent and well to be recommended.

Huguenot_Museum, Learning and Community Engagement Officer at Huguenot Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our museum, I am so glad you enjoyed your visit, a thorough research afternoon!
We have had lots of children taking part in our Easter Trail, searching the museum for eggs using clues, I'm glad you saw this as families are having so much fun!
We hope to see you again soon

All reviews
"family history"
in 11 reviews
"helpful staff"
in 6 reviews
"the tourist information centre"
in 3 reviews
in 17 reviews
"persecution"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed March 11, 2018

I visited the museum on my own, and found it really interesting: I was impressed with the displays and information, also activities for children. It's easy to find, being situated over the Visitor Information Centre. After my visit I found out that we have Hugueonots in our family history. I will certainly visit again and take other family members.

Huguenot_Museum, Learning and Community Engagement Officer at Huguenot Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good morning,
Thank you for taking the time to review our museum, so glad you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to seeing you at the museum again soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Did you know that the Huguenots were the first mass group of refugees to Britain? Or that one in six people in the UK have a Huguenot ancestry? If you ever visit Rochester, then a visit to the Huguenot Museum is a must.

The museum offer, for a modest fee, for their volunteer Alan to research your own family history for a link. Imagine my delight and amazement then, when Alan, through detailed work, did indeed discover that I have Huguenot ancestors 10 generations back through my paternal grandfather. Such a life-changing discovery helps you understand who you are, and I'm grateful to Alan for his work on my family history.

This friendly and well-displayed gem of a museum is lovingly-cared for by volunteers, and is thoroughly interesting and informative. It is must for all visitors to Rochester.

Huguenot_Museum, Learning and Community Engagement Officer at Huguenot Museum, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2018

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you were able to trace your family history.
Wonderful news that your visit helped you discover this!
We are very lucky to have such a dedicated team of volunteers, thank you for taking the time to review our museum.

Reviewed February 24, 2018

The aims and aspirations are undoubtedly good but it falls down in the execution thereof. The entry is £4 and for that there are some 3 small rooms to see. Most consist of information panels that were not entirely accurate. There were a few artefacts in glass cases that were not displayed to best advantage and portraits of people unknown outside a niche market. Most disappointing of all, while various fields of endeavour such as craftsmanship and finance and the arts were mentioned as benefitting from the Huguenot diaspora, little was made of the most well known big names. Even a few reproduced pictures of a famous name (Olivier? Garrick? Lamerie? Houblon?) with something of his lineage put in might have given more human interest to the very small collection. Perhaps this enterprise should have waited to get something more worthwhile together before opening its doors. As a real browser of galleries I could not take this beyond an hour and it does not represent value for money.

Huguenot_Museum, Learning and Community Engagement Officer at Huguenot Museum, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2018

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to leave us a review. We are sorry you were disappointed with your experience. If you discovered any inaccuracies I’d be grateful if you could email us directly . The stories that we can tell depend on the objects that we have and unfortunately we don’t yet have collections related to Olivier, Garrick or de Lamerie, though this is something that we are actively addressing and we are grateful for feedback which helps us determine how the collection and displays should develop.
We do mention Sir John Houblon, represented by a £50 note bearing his image, alongside other objects relating to banking through the Minet family.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 19, 2018 via mobile

I love my new town, and I like my museums. But this was dreadful.

I did not know there was a charge until I got upstairs . There is 1 room.

I should have asked for a refund. This was bad.

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to review our museum and we are very sorry you were disappointed with your visit. As an independent charity, we rely on an admission charge to keep our doors open to visitors and we do have a sign at the bottom, and top of the stairs setting out our charges. We appreciate that visitors sometimes miss these and we are planning to install some new more prominent signage at the bottom of the stairs. We do have 3 rooms of permanent exhibition space, and a small temporary display area as well as our shop. Our archive room includes further information for visitors and is where dedicated volunteers offer advice on family history as part of our admission charge.