“Horrendous ”

The Oyster Shack
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Bigbury
Price range: US$18 - US$39
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nestled into the Avon Valley, Award Winning restaurant The Oyster Shack – aka “Seafood Paradise” serves an array of mouth-watering catch of the day seafood and shellfish, depending on what’s been landed daily and what’s in season on the land. With eclectic, rustic decor its as cosy in the wintertime as it is virbrant and al fresco in the summer. A must visit year round. In true "shack" nature you can pop in for light nibbles and coffee with friends at lunchtime through to an extravagant Lobster lunch or whole catch of the day - always with incredibly friendly and welcoming service.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were staying at Burgh Island, as a celebration of my 40th birthday and something I had dreamt of for years. We had booked to have lunch at the Oyster Shack.
We were shown to an inside table beside what looked to be a vast children’s birthday party and incredibly noisy.
We asked to sit outside but it was overrun with unsupervised children running around everywhere and dogs off the lead in the outside seating area.
The service was poor; we had to ask twice for glasses to go with the bottle of water they had given us and we never saw the same waiter/waitress twice.
I had two oysters, scallops and gravadlax.
On returning to the hotel, I developed severe stomach pains and was violently sick.
Thank you Oyster Shack for ruining my dream weekend away, as I felt ill for the rest of the evening and not able to have my dinner or join in the dance.
We will not be returning to the Oyster Shack and neither can we repeat our ‘once in a lifetime’ weekend away.

2  Thank U5367CLrichardw
TheOysterShack, Restaurant Operations Manager at The Oyster Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear U5367CLrichardw
Thank you for getting in touch. I’m very sorry that your weekend away did not go as planned.
The easter period is a very popular time at the Oyster Shack particularly with families. We often have large family parties meeting here from all over the country as we are a family friendly restaurant. Our policy here is to welcome both children and dogs (in a selected area) and ask the parents/owners to make sure they are considerate to other diners.
I’m sorry that you were ill during your weekend. We only use the freshest ingredients, and have close relationship with our local Environmental Health Officer to ensure that we work towards the highest standards of food safety and hygiene. They would recommend seeing a GP immediately to diagnose the cause of the illness.
I would be grateful if you would contact me personally to discus the matter further (ali@oystershack.co.uk)
Warm Regards
Ali

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We took my elderly father and equally elderly mother in law out for a birthday lunch. Both were delighted with their catch of the day choice of Lemon Sole. The Hake was also beautifully cooked and the fries and desserts all tasty.
The staff (and particularly Hannah) were attentive and friendly. They even put a candle on my 88 year old father's dessert and sang Happy Birthday!
Another excellent lunch and a pleasant afternoon spent at The Oyster Shack.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Party of 5, plus dog, for lunch on Easter Monday - really welcoming, great seafood sharing dishes, lobster and sides. Even special dog menu available and blanket to sit on. Lovely staff, hugely enjoyable all round.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Wonderful fresh fish, cooked to perfection. Relaxed atmosphere and really friendly staff. Try the seaside pudding - it’s brilliant!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We visited at 2:30pm, on Easter Sunday, so was very busy as you can imagine. A party of two, we made our booking the week before. The booking process was very easy. I recommend you take a trip to the Oyster shack via the tidal road, checking the tide times first, to get a really special experience! Parking was good, even though one is advised that it is limited. Possibly in the summer it could be problematic.
On arrival we were welcomed warmly and quickly show to our table, next to the woodburner, which was great considering the poor weather. Unfortunately we were then left unattended for over twenty minutes before I had to get up to ask the lovely 'Front of house' guy for a drink. He profusely and genuinely apologised for the omission. He brought our drinks order promptly,with nibbles, so all forgiven! I regret to have to say that the service was a little hit and miss for the rest of our visit. Things like no napkins, insufficient tableware and no offer of water. Luckily our hero did keep an eye out for us but I would have liked our waiting staff to have been more on the ball. Maybe there was a staffing issue. I will give them the benefit of the doubt.
Food though, was terrific. Beetroot and goats cheese bruschetta was simple but really lovely. Oysters, yum... Now then, the pint of prawns, was, the best we have ever had. Gorgeous. This was part of the 'Seafood feast'. I thoroughly recommend.
In summary, this was probably the best seafood meal we have ever had and will visit again, I just hope 'Normal service will be resumed shortly'!!