Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Autograph
Priceline$288
Travelocity$288
Orbitz.com$288
1,117 results
All reviews boutique hotel sitting room long pool costa rica liberia airport sliding glass door open air public beach autograph collection close to the airport resort fee beautiful property pool chairs water sports minutes from the airport paddle boarding pura vida
Selected filters
Reviewed January 5, 2022 via mobile

This hotel is a bit dated but they are building a major addition. So, don’t get put in building 3 or the noise will be a problem. The restaurants serve good food, but the kitchen is totally unable to get out the food in a timely manner. We waited an hour for our salads!

Room tip: Avoid Building 3.
Date of stay: January 2022
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2022

For background, I am a lifetime platinum elite member and so have seen my share of hotels. As I sit to write this we are currently at the hotel and have spent 5 nights here with 5 more to go so enough exposure to write an initial review. First, it is a great location and the property itself is gorgeous. Generally speaking the employees are all friendly and seem to be trying. If this was not a Signature Series property with high end promises I would have rated the hotel much higher but the truth is they just fall short on execution a little too often.

A few examples: They put us in a nice building and close together, but not in adjoining rooms. Normally I don't care as connecting rooms can be hard to come by but in this case the rooms in a row all had connecting capabilities. in our area, let's call the rooms A, B, C and D: A and B connected, C and D connected. They put us in B and D. We organized private transportation and restaurant reservations through the hotel for the first couple of nights. The first night they had no record of the transportation request - but were able to take us. The next night they told us we had to wait for another family before the van would take us to town. I had to explain we booked private transport due to Covid. They checked, and send us private but then we got to the restaurant and the hotel had not actually made the reservation. Again, luckily they could take us. Turning to internal hotel operations again - you have to make an appointment for a specific time to have your room cleaned due to Covid (which is awesome). The first day our rooms were cleaned and they did a great job. On the second day they only cleaned one of the rooms. At the restaurant they make a big show out of sanitizing but we have never been sat at a table once without having to wipe food off of at least one chair. So, while nothing here is vacation destroying, you have to pay attention, fight for what you paid for and be a bit lucky - not what I expect from a signature property.

Let's talk about the restaurants. Generally, they are a bright spot with excellent food and solid service. Even here, however, there things you do not expect. For example, I ordered a glass of house red wine and it came at about 27 degrees Celsius (the temperature of the bar area I guess). Surely in this climate a wine fridge would be used? As a Platinum member, I get 2 breakfasts for free. Usually when I stay at a place like this and have 2 rooms they let my children eat free as well at the buffet but not here. That is okay, it is the rules. However, one day my wife and I wanted a light breakfast and so we ordered 2 buffets and 2 smaller orders for my wife and I. I asked that the buffets be my free breakfast as the buffet is $25 per person. The waiter said that the buffets were for the other room so they had to charge for them. I had to get firm with the restaurant manager to get them to do the right thing. They changed what I was paying for in the end but why do I have to spend time getting a manager just not to be overcharged? To be clear, I am not being cheap. We are not on an all-inclusive package and through the hotel we are having 10 breakfasts, 7 lunches, and 8 dinners. In addition we have booked 4 excursions through the hotel and are renting a boat from them for a day as well as 4 full day cabana rentals. With all of this, and my status, I still have to fight just to not overpay for some eggs. Every other high end property we have stayed at - from Canada, to the USA, to Peru to Australia has treated us better.

Don't get me wrong, great hotel, great food, amazing location and a shout out to the water sports guys who are excellent and accommodating. Tico Tours (organized through the Hotel) have also been absolutely fantastic. Again, the staff seem friendly in general and they appear to be trying so I am wondering how much of the issues we see are due to process and procedural issues and how much is due to a service culture that is set from the top that simply does not line up with a Bonvoy Signature Series property.

We are still looking forward to our next 5 nights and I am confident we will have a great time - now that we have re-set our expectations.

Would I stay here - absolutely - but just know that this is not the 5 star service and attention to detail you might expect.

4  Thank cwatt8
Reviewed December 29, 2021 via mobile

The hotel is very good. The area is great, the bay is so peaceful, and the new pools are gorgeous. What makes it special is the warm, responsive service in all areas of the hotel. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. The couple of times we had any issue, it was handled so immediately and thoroughly that I was left with nothing but gratitude. If you find yourself frustrated by anything, ask for Iris, who is unbelievably competent.

The only real issue is that my wife’s dairy allergy wasn’t always accommodated, despite reminders every time she ordered food or coffee. Despite a menu clearly designed to cover many diets, and being asked about allergies every time we sat down at a restaurant, there was some disconnect somewhere along the line.

We got cabanas a couple of days, which was fun. The new pools opened while we were there, and an adult pool was not being enforced yet ( we were told that the single large pool by both restaurants was now the adult pool, but children continued to swim there our whole stay—makes sense, since no signs were posted). At the “adult pool”, the cabanas have ceiling fans, which is amazing. They are also positioned so that they are naturally in the shade in the afternoon, which is the hottest part of the day. The new cabanas are bigger, and built to get better airflow, but do not have fans, and catch full sun in the afternoons. They have curtains, but they are thin and blow around in a pretty annoying way. They can only be secured in the open position.

We also did a boat tour through the hotel, which was an incredible experience from start to finish—I absolutely recommend booking activities through the hotel.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Rachael F
Reviewed December 25, 2021

Very impressed with the quality, cleanliness and simple elegant design. This is miraculously well priced for a luxury resort. It's not over the top luxury, and food is good not great, but the overall experience is terrific. There is a spirit of kindness and abundance. My only small suggestions would be to get "do not disturb signs' for the room doors (no idea why they do not have any system for warning the housekeeping staff away from awkward entries), unify the food menus to make all the great basics (grilled proteins and vegetables, burgers, salads) available all day and night, get better bacon for breakfast (personal preference!)

1  Thank gordong750
Reviewed December 17, 2021 via mobile

Let me begin by saying the staff was phenomenal. Everyone was so friendly, helpful, and accommodating.

There are 2 restaurants on the property, but they are not open at the same time. Please make dinner reservations as Makoko is the only dinner restaurant open at the hotel. The food and drinks were delicious. They have a lot of other options that aren’t on the menu so just ask!

We stayed in the Nesto Suite which has 2 comfortable queen beds. The room was very spacious with and additional sitting area. The “living/sitting room” area has no glass on the windows it’s just a screen, but the bedroom has a sliding glass door so you can keep the bedroom area air conditioned.

The hotel offers several FREE amenities like coffee tasting, yoga, steam room and spa relaxation room with some packages. Take advantage of all the freebies .. we did and love it!

The pool side cabanas are for purchase and the beach chairs next to the cabanas are reserved for their use only. BUT if no one is using the cabanas the staff will allow you to use the sitting area, just ask.

I loved this hotel I wish it was adults only resort because the loud older children ruin the vibe!

Construction!
Yes , there is construction, but it’s not very loud; and you only notice it in the pool/dining areas. The construction seems to be almost done so it won’t ruin your trip. You can NOT hear any construction in the sleeping areas!

Room tip: The resort is only 25 minutes from Liberia Airport
Trip type: Traveled with friends