2,677 results
All reviewsseaside grillpreferred clubmarket cafemain poolspa poolaqua restaurantcoco cafeunlimited vacation clubsecret boxroom servicepura vidabungalow suitemain areacosta ricamy pleasuretropical viewshuttle driver
Reviewed 1 January 2017

We just returned from 8 days at Secrets Resort--had a nearly flawless time and highly recommend this resort. We booked two rooms--one for my wife and me, and a second room for our 3 adult kids ages 18, 21 and 23. While there are plenty of younger couples and honeymooners at this resort, there were also plenty of similarly-aged families as well as other adult couples of all ages (ranging from 20's to 60's). We enjoyed the food at all of the restaurants--I would rate the food on average as an 8 out of 10--this is not a Ritz or Four Seasons--but the food was fresh, had great variety, was skillfully prepared and seasoned. Service in the restaurants and throughout the resort was excellent--always greeted with a smile and our requests were always answered with "it would be our pleasure". Was also impressed that while the hotel was booked (it was Christmas week), it never felt crowded--we sometimes had to wait for a table in the restaurant (particularly as a group of 5), but always had chairs at the pool, seats at the bar, and prompt service. Also, great to be at a hotel that does not permit children under the age of 18!

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank merzuzu
JorgeMonjeSecrets, General Manager at Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2017

Dear merzuzu, warmest regards to the family from all of us at Secrets Papagayo, it has been a pleasure having you all with us and really happy to read you have had a great stay and everything has worked for the family.
You are absolutely right, I think something very nice about the resort is the many options that we offer and even at full capacity the flow works well and guests seem to find their way around so hardly ever any particular area may feel crowded.
We've got a few comments these days on longer waits at our speciality restaurants, which don't require reservation. This will happen very rarely and most of the time when we do have guests of similar customs wanting to have dinner at the same time. And even then waits don't usually take long and there are plenty of nice options to enjoy having a cocktail or drink.
On behalf of our whole team, thanks a lot, very, very grateful for your visit and for taking the time to share with all of us. We remain at your service, please anything you might need, let us know, very happy to be of assistance. Have a wonderful day, Jorge Monje

Reviewed 31 December 2016

We came her for a portion of our honeymoon earlier this month. First the good- the resort itself is beautiful and the ocean views from the rooms are pretty awesome. The food (particularly at the Market Cafe) was consistently REALLY good and much better than other all-inclusives. The staff was very attentive, professional and helpful at all times, with the exception of the check-in process (see below). The staff here- in particular Randall (concierge), Crystal (activities supervisor) and Minor (pool swim up bar) were all awesome and went above and beyond. My overall "meh" feeling toward this place started at check-in. Upon arrival (after a 3 hour car ride) while trying to check-in, we were asked asked repeatedly to upgrade our room. Then we were taken to another area in the reception lobby where another staff member tried (REALLY hard) to get us to attend a "welcome breakfast" the following morning (felt VERY timeshare presentation-y) to sell us on additional stays/other secret related information. I was VERY clear from the beginning that we were not interested in this but was again asked repeatedly to attend. After declining several more times, I was then offered a 2 night/3 day stay at another Secrets resort and additional coupons if I attended (again declined). It really just started things off wrong and completely turned me off to the Secrets brand. I also felt that everything was very cookie-cutter and slightly kitschy with a gazillion "Happy Honeymoon" signs all over the doors of the property. This place is a good option if you're solely looking to eat/drink to excess and lay by the pool. We likely will not stay at another Secrets resort based on the incessant sales pitch we experienced here and really the location and staff are the only reason I would rate this resort as "average." Secrets otherwise sucks in my book.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Caitlin S

Dear Caitlin, warmest regards from all of us at Secrets Papagayo and beautiful Costa Rica.
Very thankful for your visit and your comments and feedback, very happy there has been so many things you've liked about our resort and so sorry we've let you down on so many others, please accept our sincere apologies.
I can assure you we would have loved for your to have a wonderful experience throughout and feel sad we have not been able to achieved that, definitely we don't work for a "meh" but for a wow!
In any case I've already shared your comments with our team and there are so many things we can learn and work on improving, everyday we strive to offer a better experience and hospitality and the best way to do is to listen and learn from what all of our guests have to say, for that I'm very, very grateful.
Hope you had a wonderful start to the year and sending our best wishes and tons of Pura Vida. Jorge Monje

Reviewed 30 December 2016

Nice location, excellent service and awesome cuisine. Many activities for those who want to participate. Volleyball, water aerobics, kayaking, yoga, biking and sunset tours. Plenty of quiet time for couples. There are many side trips available - zip lining, water rafting. If you are looking for an all inclusive vacation - you will definitely get a good value for your money. Spa was AWESOME.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank CindiO23

Dear Cindy O, greetings from Costa Rica a nature and adventure Paradise, indeed as you said so many things top experience, do ,within the resort and all around us.
Very happy to know you've had a wonderful time and have tasted the Pura Vida lifestyle, hopefully the good memories will last for a very long time and you are most welcome at all times when in need of a recharge.
On behalf of our whole team, thanks a lot for your visit and sending our best wishes for a wonderful 2017. Jorge Monje

Reviewed 30 December 2016

We visited Secrets Papagayo a few weeks back for our anniversary. This was our first time to Central America and our third Secrets resorts. I have a lot to compare with against the other resorts. I recommend at this resort to do the Preferred Club. We do this at each Secrets resort we go to and it is definitely worth it here. Our favorite bar tender was Cesar in the Preferred Club lounge. He was very attentive and a pleasure to talk with. We saw him almost every night we were there. A perk to the preferred club here is the ability to reserve one of the bed canopy's on the beach, you must do this the day before to get for the following day. Javier seemed to have this section daily and was very spot on and quick with getting us drinks and food. Yes, they bring food to you here at this resort. Not all the Secrets Resorts do this. They bring food for everyone you don't have to be part of the preferred. They also have one of the restaurants each morning for preferred only. My only complaint here is that is opens at 8:30am, we are typically done with breakfast at this point. We are early morning risers.

The food is good at this resort, one thing with all inclusive you don't get over the top amazing food, you get just good food. The breakfast buffett was just ok each morning. I prefer the ones in Mexico, more variety. Seaside Grill was a favorite for lunch and dinner. Our Himitsu Habachi was good, but the grill cook did absolutely no entertainment, this was excellent at Silversands in Mexico. We went to Portofino twice for dinner, very good. One thing I have to say is that not one restaurant could cook a steak the way you ask for it. I like mine rare to medium rare, every steak came out medium. Other Secrets have a French restaurant and a Mexican. The French is my favorite so I kind of missed that one here.

The Grounds are huge here, 33 acres. There is a tram that picks you up, but be prepared for some walking. The tram is difficult to climb into at times if you have a dress or skirt on. This resort is not for the feeble, I know there would be no way my mom could have come here because she has hip and knee problems. The rooms are far from the beach, well most of them anyway. Amazing views though if you have one overlooking the cliff, which we did.

A few things that bothered me, this is the first resort where I had an issue almost every day. I have never had issues at any other Secrets resorts. First off, they told us to rent the bed/canopy's morning of, so I did and was told I had to do it the day before. They did fix it and were able to get us one that day. Second, we made reservations for Himitsu the day before, they never logged it so when we went to dinner we weren't on the list. We went to the Preferred club and they admitted they made a mistake so we went the next night. Third, they missed our reservation again for a canopy, but were able to fix it again. Fourth, we made an excursion to go shopping and the taxi never showed to pick us up. They had to find someone at the resort to take us into town and pick us up. Fifth, the maid service is not consistent. We didn't always have the right amount of towels or even certain towels. No washcloth's one day, no hand towels one day, etc...Sixth, we had a romantic breakfast with our package. I told them specifically twice, that I couldn't eat eggs benedict and I must have fully cooked eggs. Guess what?? I got eggs benedict. It just seemed one little thing after another at this resort.

All in all the place is beautiful, the people are very friendly and will go out of their way and fix the problems. I definitely want to get back to Costa Rica, there is so much to see and do in this country. I'm just not sure yet if I will be coming back to this Secrets Resort.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kim C

Dear Kim C, it was really nice to welcome you back to our Secrets Resorts and to Costa Rica, and very happy you've had a nice trip.
Such a pleasure having you with us and thanks a lot for the very kind and detailed review, so sorry for all the inconvenience, so sorry we did so many mistakes during our stay, please accept my apology and our team's apology.
Believe me we do work for perfection as hard as it might be that's what we also would love to achieve every day, so understand your points entirely and they are great and very valuable to share with the team to me magic is in the details and every detail counts.
Glad there were so many things you did like and you've described very well, the most important is that we are like no other Secrets and that makes us very unique and very much Costa Rica so it is incredibly important that all our guests are very well informed about the destination and the resort.
While many of our Secrets guests tend to think we are the most unique (in a good way) Secrets for some others, the lay out and location is very different to what they were expecting, this is why reviews like yours are so valuable and important to us and we are most grateful for it.
On behalf of our whole team thanks a lot for your visit and again so sorry for all the inconvenience, we hope that you may like to reconsider and think of coming back in the future we will be delighted to welcome you and hopefully be able to show a much better and improved hospitality. Have a wonderful day, Jorge Monje

Reviewed 30 December 2016

An amazing an beautiful resort hotel. The staff are brilliant and friendly and the service is perfect. The accommodation was immaculately clean and the quality of the furnishing was excellent. I would recommend secrets to anyone who wanted a romantic adults only holiday. The only thing I could possibly say to improve the experience would be the ability to pre book the restaurants (5 great restaurants!) as this would just mke it easier, but it is a small issue really.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bremsworld1

Dear bremsworld1, warm regards from your home in Costa Rica and all your friends at Secrets Papagayo.
We have loved having you both with us and it has been an honor that you've chosen to stay with us in this very special time of your life, we hope to have provided you with many great memories and a very nice experience.
On behalf of our whole team a big, big thank you.
Just to take advantage of your comment, the no reservations at our restaurant is very intentional and a standard of Secrets Resorts and AM Resorts, believe me but asking for restaurant reservations will create many more problems and inconveniences for our guests and we make a big effort to avoid just that.
At the same time with 5 restaurants to choose from and only 202 rooms, restaurant reservations are hardly an issue, unless all guests may want to have dinner at the same time, which again due to our guests preferences will hardly happen.
Once again thanks for sharing your experience with all of us and very much looking forward to welcome you back soon. Have a wonderful day. Jorge Monje