See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 7 August 2018

I somehow wonder how the others come up in writing good reviews on this hotel. For me to be able to give a hotel a 5 star or even 4 star, the hotel needs to meet certain criterias, For example, the VICINITY this area is very far from Rjukan city center and Gaustatoppen. They don´t have any signs within the parking lot where is the entrance of the hotel. It is in the begynning of the Hardangervidda but the boat is really expensive which will just get you only to another island.

#2 on my list is of course the BEDROOM, I agree with the other review that the halls are somewhat dark. The room is really old, it needs to be renovated. We even have holes on the ceiling of our bathroom. The worst part are the sheeps that have bells on their neck. That roam around the area during the night. There is no phone in the room so if theres a problem in your room, you need to go down in the reception.

#3 BREAKFAST breakfast is ok. Ok for a cheaper hotel, not for a 1999 Kr per night on a double room. I usually have those in a small hotel while im on a business trip. But for that price i deserve a much better breakfast.

#4 SERVICE There is this girl who served during the breakfast when we were there. She usually takes out 1 or 2 breads at a time. Since its summer and theres a lot of people eating. The bread gets empty fast. My husband approached her for a bread and she answeres "What? its empty again?" Me and my husband just look at each other and was so surprised by her answer.

Rjukan is a very nice place to visit. I really like it actually. But if ever you are going there, try to find another hotel. My husband and I really had a terrible experience here.
By the way, this is a genuine and official review.

Room tip: I dont see any good rooms at all.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank zyergy
Reviewed 17 June 2018

We just came back from a weekend trip from this place. Overall impression is very positive. We checked in last Friday. The room was newly renovated. With vertical wood planks on one wall gave an impression of hut (hytte). Which I think was very well thought. Everything functioned, as it ought to. Nothing to complain about the dinner. The maim course was included in the price. One could choose starter and dessert and pay extra. We preferred the dessert, did not repent. The wine we drank was (local wine), from Telemark. In the morning for breakfast, the breads were freshly baked. More than enough to eat. One could even buy lunch, for the trip around in the woods. A nice cosy place. Helpful staff. We asked about the trails in the forest. That was shown on the map, which is placed on the wall, just before one comes in. A place to recommend.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aman O
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

I will try taking you through the whole story.
Got to the hotel in the evening around 8th o'clock. Checked in and reseptionist told us it was downstairs and that they were renovating some area but the noise should stop within 5 minutes.

Ok, I did request a room with a lake view booking 2 weeks prior to our arrival and as I knew about renovations from TripAdvisor I also requested a newly renovated room in the booking.
Further more in my booking confirmation it is stated: 1 double bed with lake view.

So, my initial response was that this was strange so we went to check it out. When we got down there we were met with a pitch black corridor. No light. No WiFi (should be included), noisy with drilling in the walls. Opened the door to the room, suprise suprise... Old runned down room with view of asfalt. Several things in the room was broken and very VERY dirty!

Of course this is not what we had booked and payed 1500 NOK for one night.

Went to reseption and confronted them, showing the booking confirmation. I realized even Im Norwegian that the the guy at the desk only spoke english and was really the bartender. We didn't know that in the beginning of the conversation.
Confronted him with all of these things and said this is not acceptable.
He looked confused messing around on the computer and said they were fully booked but that he anyway could change us to a room we originally had booked with a lake view and double bed. That would also be a new renovated room.
Only drawback was that this move would hurt another guest arriving even later.

So anyway, we said we will get our things and be back in 5 minutes.
Back at the reseption with all our luggage and room key.
Now the acctual reseptionist had arrived, Norwegian speaking.
He would't move us anyway to this nicer room. He only found us another room in this dark forsaken hallway with no light.

I asked before going to this "new room". "Is this also an old room?"
The answer the reseptionist gave me was: "Go and have a look".
I asked again: "Is this an old room with no view?"
He again replied I should go look.
I got irritated and said to him "isn't this a simple yes or no question, you don't know what room you just changed me into?
He then said he don't know and I have to go look.

For me this is absolutely RUDE and failing customer service completly.
He shold check. He shouldn't be rude like that. And he should if not possible to give us the room we payed for compensate in some way. Money back?!?

We left this hotel with a VERY POOR experience. I would not recommend to anyone. Look at my reviews, over 400 of them travelling a lot so I'm a quite serious person.

Will write my booking agent about this and hopefully they will settle something with this crooked hotel.
NEVER AGAIN!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank enurweb
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic place! We had the pleasure staying at this fine hotel the last week of April and first week of May. Very friendly staff. Wonderful place! Will definitely book again and recommended to family and friend.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

My third visit in two years, now recently refurbished, very tastefully. Rich history and beautiful views over Hardangervidda national park. Beautiful national park government center adjacent to hotel, well worth a visit, both for the view, world-class architecture and interactive and interesting exhibit

Date of stay: May 2018