“Best restaurant in Wanaka”

White House Cafe and Bar
Ranked #22 of 90 Restaurants in Wanaka
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We loved the comfortable, cozy atmosphere, friendly service, interesting menu and wine list. The clientele seemed to be locals; everyone wa enjoying themselves. This is a welcome restaurant in a sea of many marginal and over-rated establishments in town. I will come here every time I am in Wanaka.

2  Thank Elizabeth M

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We have been to the White House on all our trips to Wanaka, the food is fantastic, the wine list extensive, very good and available by the glass. Great chef and, this time a charming, friendly, very efficient French waitress. The service was good. The owners is grumpy but is knowledgeable on wines and he stays in the background, so possibly part of the charm? The vegetarian selection is brilliant, imaginative and four mains to choose from. My halloumi dish was very good, and my husband had beef, which was excellent. Best Afagato ever for dessert. We'll be back.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our meal. It wasn’t outstanding but good quality nevertheless. Service was super friendly and the owner gave good chat. The only issue was that the place felt as though it needed a thorough clean

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Always a joy to visit The White House as the food is as good visually as it is to eat. The starters are fabulous, last night I had fresh figs, warm feta, honey on black toasted brushetta a great combination. Followed by lamb rump with lentils, yoghurt and chambouli! Wine list has something for everyone. In my opinion the best restaurant in the area.

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

We were recommended this place by our b&b and I had made a reservation prior to us arriving in New Zealand by email. I was glad we did, because it was booked when we got there and we saw several people turned away! We sat outside although by the end of the night the owner waved us inside for dessert! We got the hummus bruschetta, the eggplant dish, the ribeye and the chocolate cake. Everything was absolutely delicious!!! I could have eaten more of the bruschetta and the roasted eggplant dish was one of my favorite eggplant dishes. The only reason for the the 1 less star is our food took awhile to arrive - not a huge deal and the female waitress did apologize (the owner was not as friendly) but we saw some other people waiting awhile too. It’s a small place though and felt very local, and we were not in a hurry, but I was just getting hungry! But the food was delicious, probably our best overall meal in New Zealand.

1  Thank bethie331