“Great Food and Drinks”
Review of Navigare Trattoria

Navigare Trattoria
Ranked #58 of 100 Restaurants in Fajardo
Description: two story building beach front of the bioluminescent bay in las croabas Fajardo. italian food/ caribbean creole cuisine.Pasta/Pizza/sea food/the best mojitos/ cocktails and much more..scenic view with open space roof top.
Reviewed 4 March 2021

Went here with our travel companions after a bio luminescent kayak tour. Strongly recommended for a great environment for anyone looking for great food and cocktails.

Pros:
-by far the best food in our time in Puerto Rico including our time in San Juan (we had a mix of Pizza/Pasta/ Fish/chicken
-Fantastic drinks - best mojito I have ever had outside of Cuba
- gave us free Chicarito shots after dinner (homemade)
Extremely friendly service from the server and bartender
-Pickup up some cigars to go
- Open on Wednesday most places were not in the area

Cons:
- Extensive wait time for food but it was worth the wait (don’t go for a quick bite) and allowed for more time to enjoy an extra drink

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (16)

Reviewed 4 March 2021

We had dinner here after our kayaking excursion and the food was delish. We ordered drinks and pastas and a pizza to go to eat later. Everything was fresh and clearly made with love and care.

They have a full bar and you get high quality cocktails. We all said it was our best meal of the trip! While we were waiting for our to go pizza (which made an excellent pool side lunch the next day!) we were treated to the famous “little F_€£$” shots on the house with the bar tender. The waitstaff was lovely and attentive.

Disclaimers:
Don’t go here is you want a quick bite or have a deadline to meet. Everything is made fresh so relax and enjoy the great cocktails because you will wait longer for your meal.

They are open on Wednesdays (many of the area restaurants are not) which made it busier after the many kayak tours let out.

Reviewed 1 March 2021 via mobile

Make sure you have time. Don’t rush before a tour. Food is made fresh. This is Gourmet Italian with a European flair. Not the standard US Italian . We went there twice .

We ate the fresh Red Snapper, the Mahi Mahi , the chorizo from the Antipasti menu, the lasagna , the penne Vodka, the bruschetta.

The roof top terrace makes for a great dining experience. Be patient with the waiters , they are young and inexperienced.

But the food is to simply die for .

Alexis the owner and chef is a genius!

Reviewed 7 February 2021 via mobile

Great food (the carbonara and flan was exceptional!), great atmosphere (open air dining on the roof with the sea breeze blowing and the stars above you) and most importantly, great service (thank you sooooo much, Luis!). Highly recommended.

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 4 February 2021

I wish I had read the reviews before coming here. After you read mine scroll and read the others. You’ll see that the issues are pretty much the same:

- lousy food
- slow service
- horrible treatment by the staff and owners

Just look at the responses the restaurant writes. Aggressive, argumentative, accusatory. They take no responsibility.

I literally got yelled at by a man who I’m pretty sure is the owner because of HIS mistakes. Somehow it was my fault the food took so long. Anyway..

My friend and I came to grab a quick bite to eat before our kayak tour in Fajardo at 5:30pm. When we got to Navigare at 4:30pm. it was empty so we thought getting good service wouldn’t be a problem. We sat upstairs and the waiter took our drink orders. There isn’t a drink menu and he doesn’t know all of the ingredients so you’ll have to make a guess. Lucky for us, the blue icaco was delicious! But it took him about 10 minutes to come to us to take the drink order and another 20 to deliver it putting us at 5:00pm (we were watching the clock so we wouldn’t be late for our tour). The cook/chef (who I am pretty sure is also the owner or at very least the manager) was laughing and joking on his phone and didn’t seem to have any urgency. We probably should’ve left at this point but we wanted to support the place since it’s new.

At about 5:00pm he came to take our food order. My friend told him, in Spanish, that we needed to be at our boat at 5:30, so we need to be leaving at 5:20. We ordered some basic appetizers that we thought would be fast and we were promised that it would be .At 5:20 My friend went downstairs to get the bill for the drinks and cancel the food because we needed to leave. We never got a bill,he just said it was $52.I didn’t believe that what we ordered amounted to that price.

The “owner” and waiter blamed me for everything. Saying that we should have told them at the door we had a time limit. I explained to them that we would have never even come in if we thought two very basic cocktails would take a total of 30 minutes to get. The food still wasn’t packaged but the “owner” insisted that it’s ready and decided to yell at me about how it’s our fault and how he made it on time instead of packing the food and helping us leave. I would have been happy to have the drinks and no food if they would’ve just been more honest about their situation. By the way, I’m pretty sure the Mac and cheese came out of a box. It looked exactly like Kraft. I don’t know about you, but I don’t pay $8 plus tax for a bowl of processed cheese. Especially at a “Trattoria”.

Also, the bill was magically lowered to $45 after I asked how much the drinks cost. I never got an answer though which leads me to believe the waiter tried to overcharge me.

Hopefully this place will learn how to treat customers. Until they do, I think you should avoid it and go elsewhere. We had amazing food and met great owners and servers and bartenders in Fajardo and all over the Island. Don’t spend money in a place that treats you like this.

And OF COURSE a few “regulars” mentioned in Spanish that they expected a “problem” from me, being the tall black man that I am. This owner/manager dude doubled down on it by yelling at me, on the main floor of the place, in front of everyone, as if I had asked for blood.

Date of visit: February 2021
alexis d, Owner at Navigare Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2021

Unfortunately, in this industry, one is subject to receiving all kinds of clients, which for the most part are very respectful and value the food and the service, but others simply come to take advantage and harm the establishment ... this man since he arrived was good received and attended even greeted by me. We still do not understand what his true intention was since both his drinks and the food he requested came out on time and super well ... he had indicated to his waiter that he wanted his food before 5:30 when he asked for it at 5 : 05 and it arrived at 5:20 ... everything was ready, he order 3 differents appetizers ... we still don't understand how and why he didn't want to pay for his food and pretended to leave without paying ... his friend with whom he was walking was ashamed of what this person was doing ... no one yell at him as he indicated ... he was only explained that was no reason the establishment should not charge him when he ordered the food and everything turned out perfect ...
other thing.. we do not understand his prejudice for himself for being big and black ... we do not even understand why he mentions it ... no one treats him with indifference because of his appearance or color in our country there are many like him and they do not behave in that way..
He also criticizes our food without unfairly tasting it ... unfortunately we are saddened that this type of people come to our island to try to take advantage of and harm our local businesses even more when they were given good service and their food came out on time. ... we do not like to respond to this type of unfair allegations ... but it is our responsibility also to defend ourselves from this type of injustice and from people like him.