US$22
US$33
US$29
US$20
US$19
Balay da Blas Pensionne House(Laoag)(Great Value!)
US$32
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
US$23
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 20 July 2016

The resort is mid range type but with swimming pool and access o beach is just a walk away, food choice is limited to local variety staff and friendly and accommodating also, the beach is nice white sand and shallow good for kids swimming.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for our convention (venue was 9km away in another hotel). One room with my family and another for my father and driver. Ou room was matrimonial with a queen size bed and a huge useless space that could accommodate another bed there was a sink in the room that was not needed at all. TV was small less than 32in? It felt like watching shows on iPad. Toilette was clean with separate huge jacuzzi tub (or is it) there was an issue with the toilette seat too near to the door! Breakfast buffet wasn't great, seriously hotdog and corned beef? Pool looks good from the 8th floor but down there it's small and not well kept. Dirty according to my daughter. The pool style is like fish pond or water reservoir. Staff is good and accommodating and that's a big plus! And finally it's too pricey for what it offers.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled on business
1  Thank hor_heManila
Reviewed 13 June 2016

When you stay in Pamulinawen Hotel, you have to realize it is a provincial hotel and nothing like the 5-star of metropolitan cities. In this state of mind, you will enjoy your stay. The room we had was very clean and comfy with a view facing Laoag. I thought it was the best hotel to stay in in Laoag as there are public transport infront that would take you around, in case you don't have your own ride. Breakfast is good even tho there is only a few choices, mostly the usual local dishes and fruits. The staff are very accommodating but they all seem to be trainees because of their color-coded plain-shirt uniform (It's the same at the Plaza del Norte). Truly, Wifi is only available at the downstairs lobby.

Stayed: June 2016
Reviewed 2 June 2016

In August 2015, I gave a review of this hotel. I gave them 2 points. In April this year, my family and I went back to this hotel. I think it's just fair that I gave another review of this hotel.

You see, this is the most accessible hotel for my 90 year old father-in-law who is making an effort to visit his hometown San Nicolas while his health still allows it. I got a reasonable rate, considering it was peak season and I booked a few weeks prior the check-in date. We stayed 3 nights and our overall experience is "pleasant". The bumps were minor but it would help the hotel management to consider the feedback and immediately act on it.

So here's our experience from booking online all the way to check-out. I hope the tips help travellers so that they can avoid the inconveniences that some have mentioned in their reviews of this hotel.

1) We got a reasonable rate of 3,767/night. Good rate for peak season and not so early booking.
2) Despite getting a confirmation from the online booking agent, I called the hotel directly to make sure that my booking went thru. This has always been my practice whenever I travel. The hotel confirmed that they have my booking on record and that I need not pay any amount to them except for bar consumption and the additional bed that I will be requesting.
3) On the check-in date, I called them again to inform them of our ETA, which was around 5 pm. I reminded them that I expected the rooms to be ready for occupancy when I arrive. I made sure that my request for a room close to the elevator would be accommodated, and it was.
4) Upon our arrival, we were immediately attended to and we were led to our rooms right away. The airconditioning was already on!
5) The checked-in guests were few so we were allowed to park at a space next to the driveway (this was in consideration of my 90 y.o. father in law who had trouble walking).
6) The staff (including housekeeping, guards, cooks, waiters, reception) during our entire stay was PLEASANT & ATTENTIVE.
7) We booked 2 rooms. One room was ok but the other had a problem -- the wash basin was not draining at all. We requested for a change in rooms and they gave us the next room. This room had a problem, too --- the drain in the shower area was also slow. Apparently, the maintenance team of the hotel has a problem. The hotel owners must look into this ASAP.
8) The amenities in the rooms were not consistent -- one room had slippers while the other had none. However, I just gave housekeeping a call and they immediately gave us the slippers and replenished all other complimentary items in the room.
9) Our booking came with breakfast. During this stay, the banquet staff was consistent with their service. We could choose from their selection of longganisa meal, bacon meal, daing meal, hotdog meal. Every meal came with eggs of your choice, rice, and either coffee or juice unlimited (or even both). Breakfast was available and ready at exactly 7 am (meaning, we came earlier than 7 am so that we could place our breakfast orders). Tip: call in your choice of breakfast a night before and tell them at what time you would like to have it (from 7am onwards).
10) The swimming pool was undergoing maintenance. I was not expecting this because the hotel has the rest of the year to do maintenance work on the pool. Why do it during the peak season and during summer?

I give this rating of 3 simply because of the poor plumbing maintenance job in their bathrooms and pool maintenance schedule. Other than these problems, this hotel would have rated really well, comparing it to other hotels in this part of the region. Shout out to the owners --- pick a more professional and reliable plumbing team!

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank MMLManila
Reviewed 26 April 2016

My parents and I booked a room twin room. Since there were three of us, we paid an extra 1,000PHP; this already includes an extra bed, pillow, blanket, towel, and breakfast for the third person in the group. We booked a one-night stay during Holy Week.

Room:

+ As stated, we booked a twin room. Each twin bed is good for two people; 2 adults can share one bed with just enough space between them, or can accommodate 2 children comfortably. The bed was firm and linen was fresh and crisp. My Dad took the extra bed that was laid out on the floor while my Mom and I took the beds. Each of us were provided with the following: a bottle of water, coffee, cups, and towels. The room has a television, a water kettle, and a cabinet. We were given a room on the second floor and it was pretty spacious. The bathroom had running hot water.

- Design wise, it was tad bit bland and kitsch. Again, we were given a room on the second floor, which shouldn't have mattered; however, upon arriving on the second floor, you would see unfinished rooms used as storage by the hotel. Very unbecoming of a hotel charging P4,000+ for a twin room per night. The airconditioning in the room could have been better. Considering the size of the room, it took a long time for it to get cool. The view outside the window was a barren field--not that they have any control of it; however, the price does not translate to what you're getting our of it.

Breakfast Buffet:

- I don't have anything good to say about their "buffet" breakfast. It's not the type of buffet wherein people would proceed to a dining room and have a smorgasbord of breakfast offerings laid out. First of all, there was an obvious lack of a formal dining area that can accommodate all the guests partaking in the meal. Do not get me wrong, they do have a 'restaurant'/'dining area' but it was too small to be of any use for the breakfast service. We were made to fall in line in their big function room, a long one, so that the hotel staff can serve us our breakfast. I have been to several buffet-type dining, wherein waiters/servers put food on our plates; however, there was a much wider selection of food and they did not skimp (too much). Again, for the price that we paid, I would expect that we would get more than congee, scrambled eggs, longganisa, sliced hotdog in ketchup/tomato sauce, fried rice, and sliced fruit. There was such a long line that by the time the people at the back got to the buffet table, there were no congee, scrambled eggs, and fruit left. When asked when they would refill the congee, the scrambled eggs, and the fruit, the staff member said that he does not know if the kitchen would even refill it at all!

First of all, you guarantee your guests buffet breakfasts and you should already have a headcount as to how many will be partaking in the breakfast service. How can you allow the kitchen not to properly time when they cook and send out food to the table? How can you allow your staff be ignorant of the availability of food? Also, they only give one longganisa per person. My parents and I had to ask them to put more, considering that they weren't sure if the congee and scrambled eggs were going to be refilled. Funny thing is, when we were about to leave the buffet table, I noticed that the kitchen staff finally refilled the congee; which was on the other end of the table. So what we basically had on our plates when we sat down were two longganisas, the sautéed hotdog (in ketchup/tomato sauce), and fried rice. My Mom and I had to go back to get congee and we had to wait a bit more for the scrambled eggs to arrive. The staff members were unapologetic and when I asked for a particular person's name, none of them were willing to give it. I had to force it out of them. After all the fiasco at the buffet line alone, I was still actually willing to let it all go. We were still able to get most of what was offered anyway. What pushed me over the edge was finding HAIR in my fried rice--and get this, I was almost done with my food. I called the attention of a waitress; who, like the rest of the staff, was lackadaisical and unapologetic. I asked for a manager but no one came; instead, what (magically) came was a plate of sliced oranges. I thought there was no fruit left? Obviously, this was meant to appease us. The serving staff (during breakfast) were unprofessional and lacked enthusiasm for their work; it was obvious because it showed on their faces.

STAFF:

+ I had the pleasure of speaking with, if my memory serves me correct, Matt the night before our check-in date. He was very helpful and he penned in our reservation for the room. He even agreed to call me to double check if we were still pushing through with our reservation. He was very professional over the phone and in person. When we arrived, Matt was not there to help us out; however, a very nice young lady took over. Her name escapes my mind but she was definitely very helpful. I was already getting ready to sleep when I saw missed calls and messages on my phone. I checked and saw that the messages (and calls) were from Matt, who was checking in to see if we were still going to push through with our reservation. I guess it was just lack of communication between the day and night staff but it felt nice knowing that he cared enough for their guests to check again, even if it was late and way past the check-in time. After the breakfast buffet fiasco, I was lucky to find Matt still on-staff. I relayed all of my concerns to him. Matt and the other staff members at the front desk were all-ears and were understanding of my concern. I also showed Matt a picture of the hair that I found in my food. Matt gave me a complaint for to fill up and promised that he raise all my concerns.

- It was through Matt that I learned that one of the "serving staff" at the breakfast buffet table was actually the hotel's "finance manager". I am not aware of their job descriptions but this "finance manager" should have had the decency to alteast approach me and speak to me when I originally asked for one. I needed to show a manager that there was hair in my food; however, he did not even have the courage to go up to me and own up to it. Funnily enough, he was also the person who refrained from giving the name of another staff member when I asked for it. I was not going to stalk that person. I was going to give the name to a supervisor so that this hotel staff member can be coached properly and accordingly. I did not see any reason why a "finance manager" would refrain from doing any damage control simply because of a job description. There obviously seems to be a lack of staff since a finance manager is serving food at the buffet line; so why not do damage control?

Overall, the bad things overwhelmed the good things that I noticed. I still think that they should lower down their prices considering their location and the type of rooms they offer. I've had the opportunity to stay in some hotel rooms here in Manila that are priced more or less the same but offered better views and aesthetics. Also, the breakfast buffet needs to be amped up. No, I do not expect them to have croissants, an omelette station, and a choice between brown or white rice. No. If they insist on a Filipino breakfast, then provide more than longganisa and sautéed hotdogs in tomato sauce/ketchup. I can do a better job at making the latter than their kitchen did. And you staff needs customer relations training, all across the board. A smile can brighten someone's day and a kind word can abate someone's anger.

Note: We ended up leaving a pillow behind. We called the day after our check out date and found out that they were able to find it. The person we spoke with guaranteed that it will be at the front desk and will be taken care of. That pillow was a gift and we'd definitely want to have it back if there was still a chance to do so. If ever we find ourselves going North and passing by this hotel again, we hope it would still be there.

Room Tip: Decline any second room floors because some rooms there are still unfinished and are used as storage facilities.
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family