“Nice place to have lunch”
Review of Cafe Ilocandia

Cafe Ilocandia
Ranked #12 of 55 Restaurants in Laoag
Cuisines: International
Reviewed 14 January 2019 via mobile

We decided to have lunch here, as we also wanted to see the place. Place is nice, very picturesque.Food was just ok, I don’t know what happened to the kare kare we ordered, which came after we were done eating (the waiter wanted to give us complimentary platter rice but we were so full already at that point so we declined. I wish I can say that the kare kare was worth waiting, but it was the opposite. It was too just sweet. Better order Ilocano dishes here, I guess.

Anyway, it seems you can roam around the place even if you’re not a guest or you have no plans of eating, they’re lax that way.

Over all a good choice to have a meal with a nice view of an iconic Ilicos place as a bonus.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

The sprawling 77-hectare Fort Ilocandia, in Calayab, Ilocos Norte, is a resort casino that claims as the only 5-star hotel this part of the country. It has a restaurant, Cafe Ilocandia at the ground floor. We had breakfast there recently. The place was full with Taiwanese, Korean, and other Tourists, including families, who were having the day's first meal.

Did I say there was bedlam? What do you expect? Kids running around or crying, seeking attention and what have you. But their antics are not as bad as the food spread on the buffet. The choices offered then were like atypical B movies, fat story with a thin plot.

That morning, aside from the local Ilocos longanisa or sausage, and scrambled eggs, the rest of the entrees--from friend fish in batter, a vegetable dish I can't fathom, a noodle dish, banana and pineapple, breakfast beverages (from powered flavorings), some breads, pastry and cake--showed neither talent in preparing and serving them nor excitement in tasting them. It was a terrible meal experience.

To say that this is the main breakfast and lunch outlet of this hotel is signal for guests coming from the city to have takeaways brought with them or prepare to pay extra for food delivery so guests can have decent meals.

Otherwise,the meal here is unpalatable, expensive and poor works of on-the-job cooks in training who were let lose in the kitchen. Gordon Ramsey will scream his lungs out and merrily use his machete on them with pleasure!

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank NanieGeronimo
Reviewed 27 January 2016

It is common for tourist guides and drivers to recommend Fort Ilocandia when touring the southern part of Laoag which includes Paoay Church and the Malacanang of the North. The hotel and restaurant has a character that is exceptional from high rise hotels in NCR or cebu. After a short tour around the hotel compound, we had afternoon snack at their cafe. It was not crowded because of slack reason for tourists and quite far from the city. But we were not disappointed with the serving size and taste of what we ordered. Palabok was very tasty, as well as the crepe and beverages.

Date of visit: December 2015
1  Thank Dibyne
Reviewed 19 August 2015

This is supposed to be a 5 star resto but they serve average food. I'm quite disappointed because we really looked for this place to try this place. The resto smelled an old place and quite dim. We went there for afternoon tea and I was hoping to get a treat but got frustrated because the fish and chips seemed like been fried in used cooking oil.

Date of visit: July 2015
2  Thank Emma P
Reviewed 19 May 2015 via mobile

I enjoyed the food. And had a great dinner with my family when I went on my vacation in the Philippines. Must try crispy pata.