“My place for Sotanghon Guisado”
Review of Macy's Diner Laoag

Macy's Diner Laoag
Ranked #24 of 47 Restaurants in Laoag
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Reviewed May 20, 2017

I used to eat Sotanghon guisado from other restaurants. But, when I tasted Macy's version of sotanghon guisado, it became my favorite place for the dish. I tried their other dishes, but sotanghon is really what I always love to order - dine in or take out.

Reviewed May 1, 2017

This is the restaurant of the hotel where we stayed. They offer Ilocano dishes as well as American dishes as their motif is that of a 50's American cafe.
The music adds the American life ambiance and it feels like it takes you back in time. Especially there were lots of Caucasians eating during our visit.
Milkshake is thick, just right. You might love it. We ordered strawberry and vanilla. :)

Reviewed February 27, 2017

I ate at this place 3 times. The pancake breakfast is tasty (sadly, it is only available for breakfast, not all day). The taco salad and milk shakes are good as well. I like the environment of the place with many 1950's and 1960's photos and oldies music.

Reviewed January 8, 2017

During our Ilocos experience last Christmas, we arrived in Laoag at lunchtime. Our driver/tour guide brought us to this quaint restaurant on the ground floor of Hotel Tiffany. We tasted our first Ilocano food - bagnet and pokipoki. What tickled our tastebuds was their pokipoki, an eggplant cooked superbly. It was simply delicious. My family and I was so satisfied with Macy's Diner pokipoki, that we made it as a benchmark for our suceeding food trip. On our four days Ilocos sojourn, I can say that the Ilocos bagnet was the crispiest fried pork I've tasted. Their empanada and longganisa were okay, but nothing beats the pokipoki of Macy's Diner.

Reviewed July 11, 2016

Macy's Diner definitely sticks out like a sore thumb in a place that's heavily influenced by the Spanish era. It was like stepping inside a different time and place altogether. And honestly, that's a good thing, specially after a hot day of sightseeing in Laoag. I visited the place with my mom and aunt and it was our last stop before boarding the bus back to Manila. It was a humid day, and upon entering the diner, we found it really cool and comfortable. I love the interiors as it reminded me of 50s Diner in Baguio (my fave!). I definitely love the red vinyl booths and the wall designs (still a bit bare though compared to Filling Station in Makati). The menu has a combination of usual diner fare, ilocano food and budget combo meals. At first, I wanted to try their Sloppy Joe but, I remembered my boyfriend telling me that they serve hi-bol (P90) there, so I got it. Hi-bol is like the ilocano version of the batchoy. My mom ordered the porkchop combo meal (P90), and my aunt ordered the chicken and pork bbq combo (P100).

Serving time was fast and the servers are polite and quiet. My mom's porkchop was big, juicy and tasty. My aunt's bbq combo is also big for its prize. My hi-bol deceived me though. At first it looked small, but when I was eating it I started to feel like I couldn't finish it. The cuts of the meat that came with it reminded me of the pinapaitan cuts and it kind of tastes like it. I like the broth, though it needed a pinch of salt and pepper. The noodles are nice as well. I'd recommend it as a side dish that will be shared by a group, and not your main meal because, even if it is filling, it will leave you wanting something more.

Overall, I'd recommend the place only if you're not that adventurous in terms of your food choices. If you are, there are waaay more options other than Macy's.