“Great food for a great price”
Review of Macy's Diner Laoag

Macy's Diner Laoag
Ranked #16 of 46 Restaurants in Laoag
Price range: US$2 - US$8
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Great food for a great price”
Reviewed February 27, 2017

I ate at this place 3 times. The pancake breakfast is tasty (sadly, it is only available for breakfast, not all day). The taco salad and milk shakes are good as well. I like the environment of the place with many 1950's and 1960's photos and oldies music.

Visited February 2017

Cebu City, Philippines
“A Pokipoki Experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2017

During our Ilocos experience last Christmas, we arrived in Laoag at lunchtime. Our driver/tour guide brought us to this quaint restaurant on the ground floor of Hotel Tiffany. We tasted our first Ilocano food - bagnet and pokipoki. What tickled our tastebuds was their pokipoki, an eggplant cooked superbly. It was simply delicious. My family and I was so satisfied with Macy's Diner pokipoki, that we made it as a benchmark for our suceeding food trip. On our four days Ilocos sojourn, I can say that the Ilocos bagnet was the crispiest fried pork I've tasted. Their empanada and longganisa were okay, but nothing beats the pokipoki of Macy's Diner.

• Visited December 2016
Makati
“Interesting place. Interesting menu.”
Reviewed July 11, 2016

Macy's Diner definitely sticks out like a sore thumb in a place that's heavily influenced by the Spanish era. It was like stepping inside a different time and place altogether. And honestly, that's a good thing, specially after a hot day of sightseeing in Laoag. I visited the place with my mom and aunt and it was our last stop before boarding the bus back to Manila. It was a humid day, and upon entering the diner, we found it really cool and comfortable. I love the interiors as it reminded me of 50s Diner in Baguio (my fave!). I definitely love the red vinyl booths and the wall designs (still a bit bare though compared to Filling Station in Makati). The menu has a combination of usual diner fare, ilocano food and budget combo meals. At first, I wanted to try their Sloppy Joe but, I remembered my boyfriend telling me that they serve hi-bol (P90) there, so I got it. Hi-bol is like the ilocano version of the batchoy. My mom ordered the porkchop combo meal (P90), and my aunt ordered the chicken and pork bbq combo (P100).

Serving time was fast and the servers are polite and quiet. My mom's porkchop was big, juicy and tasty. My aunt's bbq combo is also big for its prize. My hi-bol deceived me though. At first it looked small, but when I was eating it I started to feel like I couldn't finish it. The cuts of the meat that came with it reminded me of the pinapaitan cuts and it kind of tastes like it. I like the broth, though it needed a pinch of salt and pepper. The noodles are nice as well. I'd recommend it as a side dish that will be shared by a group, and not your main meal because, even if it is filling, it will leave you wanting something more.

Overall, I'd recommend the place only if you're not that adventurous in terms of your food choices. If you are, there are waaay more options other than Macy's.

• Visited July 2016
Metro Manila, Philippines
“American-themed diners of the 50s”
Reviewed July 4, 2016

We loved the interiors, cool all the time considering Laoag city can be very warm all day. Our breakfast came free with our booking. Although the choices were varied, the servings were quite small and had to order extra for big tummies like my sons.. but otherwise, it is enough - choices of sinangag with laoag longaniza, hotcakes, egg and tapa etc.. The staff can use some more training so they can be more lively when serving guests. They seemed shy and not enthusiastic..

• Visited June 2016
“American Dreaming”
Reviewed May 31, 2016 via mobile

Upon stepping into Macy’s, it’s like reconciling with my long lost American Dream. It seems like I was transported back to the 50’s provided with the posters and signage decorated inside the store. I would have wanted to try their jukebox (actually working) but, my uncertainties ruled over me, so I just sat down there and busied myself on the menu.

It wouldn’t be a complete american-feel diner without American foods, but Macy’s wouldn’t be on our list if it doesn’t serve Ilocano dishes as well.

We ordered Dinengdeng, Poqui poqui, Igado with rice and a regular coke. We also ordered a banana split and green tea ice cream for dessert. And they all tasted ok. I likey the green tea ice cream though.

Visited June 2015