“Amazing take away”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 January 2021

Great take away service from The Gregory. It's super easy to order with the food ready on time, still nice and hot and everything was there.

Very tasty food. Will definitely return!

Date of visit: January 2021
Write a reviewReviews (419)

Reviewed 1 November 2020

We went for lunch on a Friday afternoon and have to say the service was first class, the food was great, dog and child friendly and covid guidelines alll in place and working, would certainly go back again

Reviewed 31 October 2020

Took a chance, what a breath of fresh air, main Restaurant has 4 tables, well over 2m apart, full table service.
Read a review that said about small potions, not sure how much they eat but neither my Husband nor I could manage a dessert after the mains (no starter).

Reviewed 18 October 2020

We went for an early doors dinner at our local and it was really lovely.
Lucy and the team were very good with all the Covid measures, there was a nice warm easy going atmosphere.
And most importantly our pies were delicious!
It got the weekend off to a good start.
Looking forward to curry night in a few weeks.

Reviewed 11 October 2020 via mobile

This was my 3rd visit and definitely the last they have painted up over lock down but sadly the carpets are disgusting and covered up by dirty old rugs... Now for the food we had the 3 course meal they was a little confusion with this had the meal been good I wouldn’t of minded but paid anyway... The cheese soufflé was awful burnt and tasteless... The Sunday dinners ok but potatoes were over cooked or more like heated up and not edible... The worse part was the deserts the home made donuts were not donuts... but some cheap packet dough balls heavy and tasteless... And the chocolate delice tasted nice but one small piece was definitely a rip off... I mentioned things to the old lady who seemed to be in charge but she didn’t seem interested I will never set foot in this place and would recommend others to stay away poor quality and carpets like rags -:(

Date of visit: October 2020
thegregory, General Manager at The Gregory, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2020

Dear Dmj1976,

I am deeply sorry to hear you were disappointed with your visit to The Gregory on this occasion.

Since we were fortunate enough to reopen following the enforced closure, we have received overwhelming feedback from our customers, so I am particularly surprised to hear of your dreadful experience. I so which you would have mentioned something to our duty manager during your visit when we would have been able to address the matter on site, rather than you leaving with the feeling TripAdvisor was your only option. I find your comments regarding her age not only rude, but completely unnecessary.

Our cheese souffle is one our most popular dishes, so much so we decided to add it to our Sunday Lunch set menu this week, served with pickled beetroot, our own hot smoked salmon & spring onion. While the souffle itself contains both parmesan & stilton, the other components of the dish are strong flavours and it has been designed to subtly complement these. Our potatoes are cooked in small batches throughout the day to ensure they are fresh and crispy. While we can accept that as only humans, we do make mistakes, but I say with total confidence in my entire team, we do not serve burnt food.

Your desserts, I can assure you, have never seen a packet… They are homemade gluten free donuts. I recognise that the texture does differ from a regular donut, but they have been well received by our gluten free friends. Had you mentioned these were not to your liking, we would have happily exchanged them for something else but as you have eaten them all we were not aware of your displeasure. Our chocolate delice is a very rich dish of chocolate ganache with a salted caramel centre and coated in a crispy chocolate covering, made by hand, with love. The portion size has been considered to reflect the richness of the dish, while I appreciate you may have felt the size was small, I stand by our offering as increasing the size would be unnecessary. I would like to apologise for any confusion you may have experienced with you meal, we have been lucky enough to recruit new staff members and as I’m sure you can appreciate learning ‘on the job’ does take some time.
I understand you experienced some confusion when paying your bill (the only part of your experience we were made aware of). I apologise if you felt the menu was unclear of the items that were included in the set menu. I believed that the layout and only pricing the items not included would be enough but I will absolutely take your comments onboard and look for ways to improve the way we deliver this information.
With regards to your opinions on our carpet. You are correct that this needs replacement and please allow me to explain why. During lock-down as part of our deep clean, our restaurant carpet received irreparable damage by way of a carpet cleaner. Unfortunately, we are no-longer able to replace such an area without the aid of our insurance company. This is a very lengthy process, and we are 4 months into processing our claim. Many of our customers have been immensely supportive and appreciate the huge amounts of effort we have put into making The Gregory and a safe place.

I fully accept your decision to not return to The Gregory and wish you the very best in the future.