“Casual lunch”
Review of Max's Tavern

Max's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 364 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.
Reviewed 3 March 2018

Sat at the bar early Friday afternoon to enjoy a casual late lunch early dinner. I think the bartenders name was Allison? She told us her name but it as escaped me, she was nice and informative to our menu questions and prompt with waters and the bottle of wine we ordered. We totally enjoyed t the harvest salad we split we deciding on our entrees'. Max's is know as a steak house, big burgers and seafood so the decision to order a pasta dish was a tough one. My wife got the Max's penne that she liked, it was a pretty standard dish with chicken and tomato sauce. I got the shrimp pasta which I also enjoyed but this was a little more creative with swiss chard sun dried tomatoes in a pesto sauce with a good amount of shrimp. So we were pleased with our choices, just goes to show that this restaurant and it's chef's can execute what ever they put on the menu properly. They have a great wine and beer list with lot's of specialty cocktails if you wish, I also saw that they have a large whiskey and scotch list. Service was good but they weren't busy yet, so we got what we came for, a nice leisure, casual lunch! Enjoy!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

I want to give a 5 star review because all the staff was so nice it almost made up for the horrible service of the hostess who seated us. It started with giving judgmental looks and rolling her eyes when I requested a booth to acting as if she was doing us a favor by taking us to our table. Best part is her just staring at us on the way out and not even saying have a nice day. Also the food was decent so it didn’t outweigh that horrible encounter.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
John T, General Manager at Max's Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Thank you for your review of the restaurant and bringing this disturbing behavior to my attention. I am so sorry that my staff would come across this way, I apologize for my host. This is not hospitality and I am embarrassed that you received such a rude welcome. It should always be a smiling, hospitable, inviting, accommodating hello and goodbye. I apologize again and I hope you will give me the opportunity to apologize in person or on the phone at least. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime at 413.746.6299, or my direct email, jthomas@maxtavern.com.

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

Great food and fantastic staff. It was the best dinner I ate in Springfield this trip. I had the blackened Mahi Mahi which was great. I just could not say enough wonderful about the server who I believe was named Siobhan.

Thank you I will make sure my server sees this as well!

Reviewed 12 February 2018

I like how you can meet your adult children and their children here for an early dinner, feel like it's a 4 1/2 star dining experience, and enjoy the quality food and service in a sophisticated setting. It all just plain works perfectly, just like all Max dining establishments in the Springfield / Hartford area.

Service was very good - host, waiter, and server. Prompt and articulate service. We started with a nice mid-priced bottle of Pinot Noir and the spinach-artichoke appetizer. Two burgers, one pasta and one chicken dinner later, we were happy and full. Even the 9-month old baby enjoyed his side of Sweet Potatoes.

Great location off the 91, adjacent to the Basketball Hall of Fame, other dining options, and downtown Springfield. Recommended.

John T, General Manager at Max's Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Thank you for joining us for dinner I am happy you enjoyed dinner and service.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

I stopped for my first visit to this max location on my way home from Vermont and boy am I glad I did! We were there early so it was quiet, but we were greeted right away by the bartender and promptly ordered an app and a couple salads. The food came out quickly and was DELICIOUS! My Cobb salad was so big I actually took half home and I just thought as I ate it, I wish I lived closer. I would like another. Tuna tacos to start were fresh and tasty as well. Can't wait to back again when I pass thru the area to try other things. Excellent quality and great service!

John T, General Manager at Max's Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Good afternoon Leysa,

Thank you for the visit and your review of the restaurant. I appreciate the candid remarks and I hope to see you again soon.