“Sophisticated Atmosphere / Relaxed Dining”
Review of Max's Tavern

Reserve with OpenTable
Max's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 364 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.
Reviewed 12 February 2018

I like how you can meet your adult children and their children here for an early dinner, feel like it's a 4 1/2 star dining experience, and enjoy the quality food and service in a sophisticated setting. It all just plain works perfectly, just like all Max dining establishments in the Springfield / Hartford area.

Service was very good - host, waiter, and server. Prompt and articulate service. We started with a nice mid-priced bottle of Pinot Noir and the spinach-artichoke appetizer. Two burgers, one pasta and one chicken dinner later, we were happy and full. Even the 9-month old baby enjoyed his side of Sweet Potatoes.

Great location off the 91, adjacent to the Basketball Hall of Fame, other dining options, and downtown Springfield. Recommended.

John T, General Manager at Max's Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Thank you for joining us for dinner I am happy you enjoyed dinner and service.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

I stopped for my first visit to this max location on my way home from Vermont and boy am I glad I did! We were there early so it was quiet, but we were greeted right away by the bartender and promptly ordered an app and a couple salads. The food came out quickly and was DELICIOUS! My Cobb salad was so big I actually took half home and I just thought as I ate it, I wish I lived closer. I would like another. Tuna tacos to start were fresh and tasty as well. Can't wait to back again when I pass thru the area to try other things. Excellent quality and great service!

John T, General Manager at Max's Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Good afternoon Leysa,

Thank you for the visit and your review of the restaurant. I appreciate the candid remarks and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

For a restaurant that is part of a larger family of Max's Restaurants based out of Hartford,CT this location has not been updated nor refurbished in along time. We found it to be the same decor that has been there since it opened a long long time ago very boring and dated. We attended a friends birthday dinner and four of us were seated in a dining room in the front with a lot of tables which = a lot of noise and chattering. It gets loud and hard to hear your tablemates.
No softness , drapes, carpeting etc, etc to absorb the noise and chatter. What renovations have been done according to a posting that they were closing for renovations escapes me completely.

The prices on menu are HIGh, like WAY HIGH for this area of Springfield, MA. An for what little they bring out of the kitchen it is very disappointing.

My haddock still had skin on it as I asked beforehand if it was skinless. They said yes. It came out with skin on it! The drinks were not RIGHT either! Some drinks had to be sent back and a substitute ordered. Who is hiring the bartender!

The food was Meh, OK at best. Lots of FAT on the Prime Rib! Skin on the Haddock!, SMALL Martini glasses for the price they charge! Wrong Drinks made. I had it.

It's really not worth it. I'm sure they will be there and make more money when MGM Grand opens in September 2018 right down the street. Not going back.

1  Thank MyChoice7679

Dear MyChoice7679
Thank you for taking the time to express your disappointing experience at Max’s Tavern. Please allow me to offer my sincerest apologies and extend them to your guests as well. The experience should have exceeded your expectations and obviously fell short of the standards I have set.
The pricing of the entrees and the cocktails is higher than some and is directly related to the high quality products that we continue to source for all of our offerings. That said, there is never a low enough price for something we did not deliver on and there is little value in not getting you what you ask for. The mistakes in getting you a piece of fish without skin and drinks that you ordered is not to our standard and beneath expectations. We should have been able to give you the dining experience you deserve and paid for and I apologize for falling short of our goal.
I take great pride in my staff getting it right the first time, but clearly we did not follow through on this occasion. I would love to discuss this further with you, at your convenience. Please feel free to call me anytime, 413.746.6299 or email at jthomas@maxtavern.com.

General Manager | Partner
Max’s Tavern

Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

Here with clients for work. Nice buzz to the place and very attentive service. All steaks were cooked really well and the tuna dishes were particularly nice. Recommended.

John T, General Manager at Max's Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2017

Great to hear you enjoyed your dinner, thank you for the review and I'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

Waited 15 minutes before someone came to front to address us. When they did they said that they would be closing but could try to find an area at the bar but doubt it it’s packed tonight. They aren’t going to sit anyone else for the dining area.

1  Thank Divacnb
John T, General Manager at Max's Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Dear Divacnb,

Thank you for writing this review and sharing your disappointing experience. There is no excuse for making you wait at the door, I am sorry we did not great you as soon as you arrived as we should. Also I apologize for the poor hospitality you received, even if the dining room was closed the tables were empty we should have offered you a seat and drinks at one of them if the bar was too busy. I would appreciate it if you could extend my sincere apologies to your guests as well. Please contact me directly if you would like to share more of your experience as I would like to correct this and make sure it doesn't happen in the future.

My sincere apologies,