“Nice experience”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2017

We are new to Santa Fe and have been trying many of the restaurants. La Choza has a reputation of having to wait, we did at 5pm for just a few minutes, there were many people arriving and they were pacing the place. Nice young man sat us at a table in the corner of the first dining room. Very colorful atmosphere with some cool art hanging about. We started with a beer and house Margarita. Our app was the trio of salsa, guac and queso, it was good and a nice starter. The quesadilla (pulled chicken) was good not the best in town. You can order a combo of choice and i had a chili relleno and a blue corn burrito, again good but not great. The posole was a bit dry as was the pork cubes. It was very temperature hot when arrived. As someone else said it was to hot. Had to set 10 minutes before I could eat. The server was great, young women with cool style. One of the other servers jumped in to help her (that is the system), bit over the top. You can see that it is a very popular place with locals and tourists. Probably go again and give them a second chance, they really do have a thing going and maybe we just need to try it again.

Reviewed May 8, 2017

This is where the locals eat and the food was absolutely wonderful. I highly recommend this to all visitors. Worth the trip.

Reviewed May 7, 2017

We ate take out, so I can't comment on service or ambiance. The fish tacos were delicious, with large pieces of fresh fish, avocado, and dressings. I had to hunt to find a piece of mango in the "mango" salsa, however. The guacamole was thinner than I'm used to, on the spicy side, and quite good with plenty of lime juice and tomatoes. The portions were generous, especially the chips that were included with the order. A nice feature for take out orders is that they have two reserved parking places dedicated to take out orders. That was a blessing because the lot was full on a Tuesday night. It seems to be a very popular spot with locals.

Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

We went with two other couples and I was able to order gluten free from the menu. The food was spicy but delicious. Note to those who don't like spicy: sour cream will cut it.
The service was okay, not great.
The draw is the food, not the atmosphere nor service.

Reviewed May 6, 2017

I have eaten at La Choza twice in the last year. My first visit I would have rated as a five star visit, but my second visit I will have to give only a three. Perhaps I just hit them on a bad day, but even though I enjoy spicy Mexican food, my second visit was so incredibly spicy that I suffered for the rest of the day and night as a result of my meal at La Choza. I will try them again and be happy to change my evaluation back to a five star rating, but for now they need to supervise the cook who dumped a gallon of chili into the mix.

11  Thank Richard B