“Queso and Patios ”

Ranked #33 of 576 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$3 - US$29
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on the second floor of the Southwest corner of the Historic Santa Fe Plaza the Thunderbird Bar and Grill offers spectacular views of the Plaza, Palace of Governors and the Basilica Cathedral. Enjoy a wide variety of appetizers, soups, salads, steaks, fajitas, seafood, prime beef burgers and traditional Northern New Mexican cuisine. Enjoy one of our 20 draft beers, 40 bottled beers and over 100 Tequilas. Our famous Margaritas are the best on the Plaza made with fresh squeezed lime juice and for you Bloody Mary lovers our Bacon Bloody Mary is famous around the world.
Reviewed February 20, 2017 via mobile

We stopped in for a quick drink and some appetizers yesterday and were so glad we did. We got one of the last outside tables which offered stunning views of the Plaza and nearby churches. Along with the stunning views, the patio offers heat coils to keep you warm during the winter months *note it can get kind of hot when the coils are on, but they do a good job balancing that between turn of them on and off

They offer a wide variety of drinks, which is always a plus. I got a house margarita (raspberry) and the mr. got the sangria. Overall, the drinks did not disappoint.

Now, let's talk about the queso- the life changingly-good- queso. We ordered the sampler trio, which included the salsa, queso and guacamole. My husband appreciate the guacamole but thought it could have used more salt. The salsa was okay but it severely lacked oomph compared to the queso. The general manager, Rick, said the secret was in the home made chorizo they put in there *Yum*

Finally, let's talk about the exceptional service and why you should give this place a chance at least once in your life. The service can't be beat. The hostesses were friendly, and our server Ash, was on top of it. She was so personable and attentive. Rick, the general manager, table touched us twice and was very personable and knowledgeable. When he saw much I loved the queso, he brought me a big bowl of it (if you are reading this, Rick - thanks you made my day)

This wonderful little gem offers a wide variety of drinks, good food and has the best queso. The views and incredible staff are an added bonus as well :).

Reviewed February 20, 2017

We found this place because the place recommended to us had a 2 hour wait. Here we got right in. The staff was awesome and very friendly. Having spent a number of years living in New Mexico, my daughter loved their green chili stew. She said it had the spice and kick she was hoping for. For me, the chicken tortilla soup left me wanting. It really had no defining flavor. It was very muddled. The upside down Frito Pie was AWESOME. My husband and granddaughter shared the nachos; both truly enjoyed them. & finally my son had the fajitas. As he is allergic to onions, they had no problem accommodating this allergy in making his plate.

Thunderbird makes their tortillas FRESH and ON SITE... OMGoth are they awesome... YUM....

Now I wouldn't exactly say they are kid friendly... Nope... As for an adult hang out after a day of site seeing, Definitely....

Reviewed February 19, 2017 via mobile

The Thunderbird is a great place to grab lunch or drinks. Excellent burgers. Great service that rivals their location right on the plaza. Awesome 2nd floor patio allows you to take in all the culture in the plaza along with good people watching. Definitely worth a stop while you're in Santa Fe!

Reviewed February 18, 2017 via mobile

Stopped and had lunch at Thunderbird Bar and Grill. Got to sit outside on the second floor patio on the rail. Looking out over the square in Santa Fe. Great people watching place. Food was very good. And so were the Margaritas!!!
We had the orange chili margarita and the spicy margarita. Both were really good. The orange chili was a little sweet but good. The spicy definitely had a jalapeño bite. My wife loved it. The quest and chips were good. I had the upside down Frito pie. I really enjoyed it. It was good. A couple of burritos and a BLTT. all were good.

Reviewed February 17, 2017

Often overlooked, but great upstairs bar and grill above the plaza with outdoor seating. Great drinks and excellent bar-food for reasonable prices.