“One of the casualties of covid”
Review of Cafe Poca Cosa - CLOSED

Cafe Poca Cosa
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2021 via mobile

A great loss to the Mexican food scene in Tucson. Served food of a very high level We will miss it when we visit Tucson. For the rock shows

Date of visit: April 2021

Reviewed 2 May 2020

Everything at Cafe Poca Cosa lived up to our very high expectations. We were seated promptly and our server quickly arrived to get us drinks and then gave us a thorough review of the menu options and answer questions. The food was delicious and plentiful. Since my wife is a vegetarian, but did not order the tamale pie, the server included a portion on my combo platter. Fortunately, we had room for dessert, and it would have been a terrible shame to miss the dessert sampler, because the strength of their kitchen shows all through the meal..

Date of visit: March 2020
1  Thank Big_Foof
Reviewed 4 April 2020

First, the food. We ordered two different kinds of beef for tacos, and both came with huge salads, rice with corn, beans, taco shells, and delicious sides and sauces. We can’t say enough about the phenomenal food.

The service, however, was abysmal. First, the hostess didn’t even greet us when we went in. We had to address her first. She had a snotty attitude. Second, they gave us drink menus, chips and salsa, and left us. Although we paced ourselves, the chips and salsa were gone before they took our drink orders.

Then they had what I’m sure they thought was great system, but I did not. Instead of menus, the 7-8 entrees were on a blackboard. A server reads and describes each item and then you decide. She rattled the entrees off so fast, I could hardly keep anything straight. I heard “cilantro” and “mild” with one description, and that’s how I made my choice.

The food came out fairly quickly. But after eating, once again, we waited forever for our check. I was playing games on my phone (something I would typically never do in a nice restaurant), the wait got so long and boring. When our bill came, my husband immediately handed the server our credit card. She told us someone would run it. Again, an interminable wait—at least 10 minutes. The hostess finally returned it to us, sort of. She slapped it down as she walked past our table without so much as a “thank you” or “please come back” or “I hope you enjoyed your meal.”

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 1 April 2020

I have been visiting Tucson yearly for many years. I first ate at Cafe Poca Cosa in their old location. I followed them and must say that although the new location is not as intimate, the food has NEVER ceased to impress me. I always order the Plato Poca Cosa off the daily changing chalkboard menu. This is the chefs choice of 3 menu items. Always superb.

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank keithappleman1
Reviewed 18 March 2020 via mobile

Went for dinner on a Saturday night. Reservations recommended. It was busy. Ordered one salmon and one pork entree. So delicious that we wished we’d have ordered the chef’s choice since the chef would have assembled smaller portions of a variety of entrees and we decided we would have liked trying more from that chef!

The plates were actually individual platters with lots of food and ample salad. Salmon filet was a large portion too so come hungry! Two ladies could easily share an entree if they allow plate sharing. We split chocolate mousse for dessert. Scrumptious dinner!

Removed two stars because bathroom was not clean enough. I expect a high end restaurant to have sparkling clean restrooms generally, however, they should have been especially sparkling as the current world pandemic was unfolding. We visited as professional sports were just beginning to be cancelled due to covid-19 and then we cut our trip short due to shelter in place recommendations beginning. Cleanliness can easily be remedied. Sinks, toilets, and floors were cleaned but stall walls needed 360 degree cleaning. I told staff and they promised to address it.

Date of visit: March 2020